I enjoy exploring the world through food, culture, and travel and sharing the adventure with mostly from-scratch, family friendly recipes that I think of as modern comfort cooking. Going to have to try that! Second time I’m baking it. Do you ever add any thickener to the tomatoes? It’s so good! This looks really interesting, but I’m a little out off by the inclusion of mayo. I live in Florida and tomato pie is popular. Probably made all the mistakes along the way (not all visually perfect) It was delicious and quickly became something we ate with great pleasure. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, then use fresh paper towels to pat-dry the tomatoes and remove move of the excess juice so the pie doesn't turn out soggy. (This will keep the crust … Flatten ball into a disc with smooth edges (no cracks), cover with plastic wrap, and chill at least 1 hour or up to overnight. That’s so interesting to know about cheese and mayo being a common combination in Russian cooking! I have never tried freezing this pie so I can’t say for sure. I need to get back to the New England area! Slice tomatoes and arrange over onions. Killer delicious Bama Tomato Pie! https://www.deepsouthdish.com/2012/09/classic-southern-tomato-pie.html I have sooo many tomatoes right now so a main dish with them is just what I needed! The dish seems to have vanished from the Deep South like cotton mills, moonshine stills and Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers. Roll out pie crust and use it to line a pie plate. So, I made this and it turned out pretty amazing. I make this as an appetizer with mini phyllo shells ( I chop the tomatoes and basil and use white onion) and top the cheese/mayo mix with crumbled bacon. Stir to combine. Slice the tomatoes and lay on the paper towels in a single layer, then sprinkle with the salt to draw out the tomato juices. It might sound like a strange dish if you haven’t tried it before, but Tomato pie is such a beloved dish in the South that it shows up on many lists of foods that are iconic or well known from the Southern states, which is why Southern tomato pie is the first recipe representing Alabama in a new series I am calling American Eats. I can’t wait to harvest our tomatoes! This sounds luscious, fresh tomatoes can’t be beat. Add … I’m dying for the cheese on this! Let sit for 10-15 minutes, then use fresh paper towels to pat-dry the tomatoes and remove move of the excess juice so the pie doesn't turn out soggy. Layèr thè rèmaining tomatoès on top and sprinklè with thè rèmaining basil-onion mixturè. Would that not work (and make a better consistency for a pie)? . My grandmother and probably great grandmother made tomato pies. You could try Greek yogurt instead of mayo. Makes a little barrier. Just wow! The flaky crust encases thick slices of tomatoes, layers of  chopped basil leaves and green onions, and a cheesy topping made with freshly grated mozzarella and cheddar cheeses mixed with tangy mayo. As long as they are fresh and flavorful, any variety of tomato will work. Question:  Can this pie be baked and reheated later in the day in the microwave? I’ve heard of tomato pie — we spend quite a bit of time in the South and LOVE it. Slice the tomatoes and lay on the paper towels in a single layer, then sprinkle with the salt to draw out the tomato … I haven’t but have used Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour with great success in other baked goods before! Got another one in the oven right now, using Roma tomatoes this time well drained and a cupple of heirlum sliced to put on top, makes it mighty pretty. These extra steps really do help. Will have to try this the next time we are having a party! That tomato pie looks amazing! Whilè thè crust bakès, combinè thè basil, grèèn onion, and garlic in a bowl and stir. Maybe I’ll start skipping around a bit. Sincè this won't bakè all thè way bèforè bèing fillèd, it shouldn't shrink too badly, so thèrè is no nèèd for piè wèights in my èxpèrièncè. I wish I could hand you a slice of this savory southern tomato pie to enjoy while you read this post. If mayo, which do you recommend? In fact, next time I might even add some. I have tried several cheese combinations and they all work—! Combine cheese's with mayonaise, spread accross the top. Your email address will not be published. Kudos to y’all! Wow!! We love tomato pie and this looks amazing! It sounds like a pizza pie in a pie crust- and it’s kind of brilliant. Gosh (to Carol saying this is a steal from another cook)…how on earth does one draw the conclusion that one recipe is exclusive? Repeat tomato and onion layer. I’ve never had tomato pie before and now I can’t wait to make this! Dress the top with the traditional mayonnaise and cheese mixture, and you've got a classic … I have a bucket list goal that probably many of you have as well, or have at least thought about, to one day visit every state in the USA. They are definitely going on my list! As a Canadian, I understand why people are sometimes frustrated by the current state of food in the USA, but I also think it’s a ridiculous shame that people don’t pay more attention to the unique, wonderful, and delicious foods that have developed and flourished in the US (including this fantastic looking pie!). We have loved traveling to all the different states in the US and enjoying their unique food experiences. I add a bit of lemon juice to the Mayo and layer the tomatos adding cheese then basil then mayo then scallions and repeat the layers. My mom loved to make pies but I have always been too intimidated (“lazy”) to make my own piecrusts. If you have lots of ripe tomatoes in your garden this year, be sure to also try our Pico de Gallo, Tomato Basil Bruschetta, or this wonderful Georgian Chicken Stew with Tomatoes & Herbs! I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe! Lèt sit for 10-15 minutès, thèn usè frèsh papèr towèls to pat-dry thè tomatoès and rèmovè movè of thè èxcèss juicè so thè piè doèsn't turn out soggy. Fondly, I feel like they would be too mushy and wet for this recipe. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and push together to form a rough ball. I can’t wait to try this Amy! The crust is perfectly flaky and that cheesy topping is calling my name. This was even better the next day. for an hour, blotted but I still find my pie to be very juicy. I personally like the separation of the flavors with the thick layer of tomatoes with the cheesy topping on top. This savory Southern Tomato Pie is made with summer-ripe tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and topped with a tasty cheese & mayo topping! It’s so interesting how food just transcends different cultures and continents! It was delicious! My mouth is watering for your Alabama Tomato Pie. With Steamed Clams, Lobster, Corn on the cob, sometimes Boston Baked Beans and Chowder are offered to keep the hungry folk from starving while the Bake is cooking. Cooking is our favorite, we collect cooking recipes from various sources, for which readers want to get the recipe completely please visit the source of the recipe that has been attached to in the article, thank you have visited and happy cooking.. Hopefully the Roma’s worked even better for you! The unique perspective that comes with having lived in these different areas of the country has really influenced my cooking in a lot of ways and I had this idea that I could share some of the most well-known, iconic foods from each of the 50 states as a way of exploring America from the comfort of my kitchen, even if I haven’t been able to travel there in person yet! I’m looking forward to seeing all 50 recipes! (Wait until you get to WV and pepperoni rolls! The pie looks beautiful and I can’t think of a meal whereby I wouldn’t enjoy it. Place a double layer of paper towels on a baking sheet. She would fry them and put them on her homemade bread. Let me know if you try it! But you could try adding cheese between the layers and see what you think! Wonderful pie!! Roll out piè crust and usè it to linè a piè platè. My wife took slices in a baking dish with that topping. So I made two, used them heirlum tomatoes sliced even made my own pie crust (butter & vinger). Layer the remaining tomatoes on top and sprinkle with the remaining basil-onion mixture. They are so juicy and flavorful all on their own, and I’m always looking for ways to enjoy them at their best, like in a grilled caprese panini, but I think this tomato pie might be my new go-to recipe for those first amazing tomatoes of the summer! I think there’s a rather unfair trend to malign American food and American food culture, especially outside of the US. Roll out pie crust and use it to line a pie plate. . !..pretty soggy in bottom..will make again with adjustments..Single person household so will do crustless and use ramikins for individual servings (leftovers keep better w/o crust)..serve with hard toast/bread/crackers…basil a little too strong. Recipe Courtesy of Walters’ Gas & Grill • Society Hill, Alabama. In a sèparatè bowl, combinè thè mozzarèlla chèèsè, sharp chèddar chèèsè, mayonnaisè and sèason with frèshly ground black pèppèr. Much admiration from Tennessee. This recipe would also be great for breakfast. It’s actually made throughout much of the South (like many dishes, you will find that they cross state-borders and are attributed to more than one state), but it seems like Alabamans have a particular love of this dish. I live in Minnesota but cook southern style all the time. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a few layers of paper towels. It was gone in no time! Both of my paternal grandparents were from Russia, and often in there cooking cheese and mayo were used. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Can I substitute something for the mayo? I think since it has been baked it would be okay on the counter for a few hours, bu I wouldn’t do overnight. I’m intrigued by the cheese and mayo – intrigued meaning I NEED it in my life! I put the seeds and juice from this into a bowl and strain out the juice to drink (there’s not much), and I blot the remaining part of the slices on a paper towel. Lay fresh tomato slices on top and … America is a delicious country, and I will be making and baking my way through some of America’s favorite foods trying to knock off a couple of states each month. Never met a bad tomato pie. I’m taking it to someone’s house and would love to have the finished product when I arrive. I think that’s a really good idea, especially if they are homegrown tomatoes with lots of seeds. Everyone really loved it, have made it twice this month. My DH who is quite picky, actually lived this recipe! This is a great alternative to a quiche. Let me know if you try it! My husband was unsure but he loved it too! The goal is to share 3-5 of the most popular foods that are beloved by each state, starting with Alabama and ending with Wyoming. Tomato pie has been a southern recipe passed around for decades! Enjoy! Boy did they turn out good!! Thanks! Additional patting dry also helps. I’m wondering where in Alabama this recipe came from. This is so delicious that I will still eat it all, but I just wonder if you have ever had that problem. Thanks for this recipe — can’t wait to try it!! Slice the tomatoes and lay on the paper towels in a single layer, then sprinkle with the salt to draw out the tomato juices. I LOVE tomato pie! So much flavor! This is an amazing recipe. They make tasty ones at the Dutch Windmill on Rt. This savory Southern Tomato Pie is made with summer-ripe tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and topped with a tasty cheese & mayo topping! -Lisa. I’m a native to Alabama, I love tomatoes and I love pies but I have never had or even heard of a tomato pie before. Thank you for sharing your treasured find. This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Don’t forget all the Artisan breads available from so many cultures. It concentrates the beautiful flavors of the tomatoes while taking out some of the juiciness. I roast some of the tomatoes on a sheet pan before putting them in the pie. https://howtocakesrecipes.blogspot.com/2019/04/alabama-tomato-pie.html This was absolutely amazing! Great recipe over all. Crimp the edges and poke holes in the bottom … It was unheard of, yet it was so comforting at a time when we felt our world was spiraling out of control. I have drained, etc. Yes, heirloom tomatoes tend to have more juice than most tomatoes, I have found, so I can see how it might be a little soupy. You can also seed the tomatoes. We have a huge abundance of tomatoes from the garden that I have been running out of ideas. When the tomatoes cook, they are going to get juicy! (I’m from the wrong part of the south- the part that seceded bahaha). Bake @ 360 degrees for 6 minutes. It’s really best fresh, right out of the oven, but if you are going to make it in advance and reheat, I would recommend reheating in the oven rather than the microwave. Cant wait to make this again, served with salad for dinner! I love this idea! I found your recipe via a Google search and made it tonite. About Unknown Slicè thè tomatoès and lay on thè papèr towèls in a singlè layèr, thèn sprinklè with thè salt to draw out thè tomato juicès. It just sounds like such a delicious summer dish!! NO excess juice. Be sure to try a Shoo Fly Pie in Lancaster County, PA. Line piecrust with aluminum foil; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Isn’t this basically Paula Deen’s recipe that you just reprinted? And Philly Cheesesteaks are definitely already on there, although I didn’t know about the Cheez Wiz, lol! I have been going in alphabetical order and Maine isn’t for a while still! Reduce oven temperature to 325˚. I found that using Roma tomatos works the best as far as moisture goes. I seed and salt and drain the tomatoes. I just added Shoo Fly Pie to my list of foods to try! Slíce the tomatoes and lay on the paper towels ín a síngle layer, then sprínkle wíth the salt to draw out the tomato juíces. It looks delicious and I’m going to need a couple slices for myself. This easy, no-bake and healthy peanut butter fruit dip recipe makes for a wonderful after school snack for kids, post workout snack, or eas... Avocado Salsa. Whèn thè piè crust has bakèd for 10 minutès, layèr half of thè tomatoès on thè bottom of thè crust, thèn sprinklè with half of thè basil-onion mixturè. While the crust bakes, combine the basil, green onion, and garlic in a bowl and stir. Alabama Tomato Piè Ingrèdiènts. Your recipe is a little different than our family recipe, Im thinking it will be fun to try them both at the same time for a Memorial Day side dish! Right. In a separate bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, mayonnaise and season with freshly ground black pepper. Required fields are marked *. Any tomatoes will work, but depending on the size you may need more or fewer tomatoes. Next time I’ll have to make two! Certainly not invented by Paula Deen…that was too funny. I’m so glad that you love this recipe and have made it so much! I’m actually well on my way, since I was born in the Midwest (Nebraska), and have lived on both coasts (California and New Jersey), with moves to Idaho, Utah, and Missouri along the way and lots of roadtrips and other travel in between. She shared it with my siblings and me at my mother’s repast. I had my reservations but we have so many tomatoes I wanted to try it. Thank you so much for this recipe. Decrease the oven temperature to 350 degrees F, then return the pie to the oven and bake for 30 minutes, uncovered, until the cheese begins to get lightly brown on top. Was gifted to try a Tomato Pie, bout a week ago. I’m a real bacon pieces guy with Sharp white Cheddar, and mozzarella man. Now I’ve spent much of my life in Boston and close by. Crimp the edges and poke holes in the bottom of the crust using the tines of a fork. But I must confess alittle to soupy, but the taste “great”!! Well ladies, I have eaten tomato pie when I was very young,my great aunt used to take me to go in the garden with her to pick nice firm ripe tomatoes. Best wishes on your journey! … Then the real live Shore Dinner, a Clam and Lobster Bake on the Beach. Since when is Missouri in the South? I’m happy to find an favorite recipe like this one. You are welcome! The sausage variation sounds wonderful for a dinner option! Thank you for sharing! Halved the green onion amount and doubled the garlic! I’ve read about Tomato Pie before in some books and have always been curious to try. 30. Glad you enjoyed this! Then there is New England Style Clam Chowder, with the Labor Day Chowder festival. Rob and Greta Carlile prepare the North Alabama region winner, Tomato Pie, a menu item at Carlile’s, their Scottsboro restaurant. It wouldn’t be a perfect substitute, but I would use greek yogurt in place of the mayo if you want to try something else. I’m in CA and cook southern all the time too, lol! New right when an there I had to learn to make one. Don’t want to change anything. MaryBeth, I have made this and added some fresh sweet corn cut off the cob,,,,,,adds a little sweetness,,,mmmmmm. I was raised in NH, ( VT and NH are Maple Syrup country) Also Apple Country, Dairy, Cheese, I lived on a farm where our cash crop, like ME was Potatoes (all purpose varieties). ©2021 House of Nash Eats Design by Purr. What a great “take along dish”…..and works for brunch or dinner. Years even. Use one or two more tomatoes, depending on size. You’ll have to order it wit (sic) or witout! Home grown Heirloom tomatoes work best. Oh my gosh I LOVE your America Eats idea! Got those tomatoes and decided to make it. Hmm, I’ve actually never tried freezing whole, uncooked tomatoes so I really can’t say. Perfect for fresh tomato season. AND, if you have an opportunity to buy ramps in WV it will elevate your recipes to the next level. Pre bake it and line with thin sliced cheese before loading up with tomatoes! So this has been on our mind since. It takes a little extra time but I find this makes a firmer pie with less runniness. Slice the tomâtoes ând lây on the pâper towels in â single lâyer, then sprinkle with the sâlt to drâw out the tomâto juices. Just reheat at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes until hot all the way through. Then there is the Fishing Fleet in every major port bringing in fresh fish for delectable restaurant dishes, think the Union Oyster House, one of the oldest continuous operating restaurants in New England. Has anyone tried this with gluten free crust? Now onto more important things….I have found that sometimes removing the seeds from a tomato really helps remove the water that can often make recipes watery. And the tomatoes look absolutely amazing. I searched for that recipe for a very long time. And as good as they are warm for dinner…I enjoy cold with brunch and goes well with a Bloody Mary. We served this delicious cheese and tomato pie as a side with grilled chicken for dinner, but it would be great as a light lunch served with a salad on the side. I didn’t peel the tomatoes, which was a mistake. Making it tonight for guest. But this is a classic dish, so it wouldn’t be surprising if there were many similarities. You can slice the tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and lay out on paper towels after about 25 minutes blot with more paper towels to get out remaining moisture, Is is so much like a recipe I make, but it does call for a dusting of flour on each layer. I added some ham on the bottom layer but otherwise followed your recipe. JUST this with some fresh tomatoes from the garden. Thank you, Deb! Thank you for such a thoughtful comment! Paula Deen did not invent Tomato Pie. We use salt Pork, molasses, onions, and tomato ketchup or sauce in true Boston Baked Beans and serve them with Steamed Brown Bread made from cornmeal and more molasses. Is there something else I could use? Found a great product on-line it’s its a electric two speed salad spinner, so I dice up the Roma tomatoes, salt them and put them into the spinner and let them drain (give’m a spin every so often) prepare the rest of ingredients and just before I add the tomatoes I spend them on high. Cheers, and good luck! This was just delicious!!! Going to attempt transport to Ks. I would thing all day would be ok.  My house is cool. It’s a lot like a savory tart, except deep-dish style since a classic tomato pie is made in a pie pan. We SO dislike mayo. Fantastic! Knead a few times to combine, then roll into a ball. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Boston Baked Beans & Senate Bean Soup, Creamed Cod on boiled potatoes or toast, made from dried salt cod. I’ve never heard of a tomato pie! I’ll be following your journey, with interest.. I like a bit of heat, so I added half of a red jalapeño to give it a kick. It dries them out a bit and gives a nice flavor boost if you get a bit of browning. Recipe saved to my Italian file where I also have a couple Tomato Pies from the Old Country. My guess is that it would freeze alright, but you might have a soggy bottom on reheating. Thanks! After tomatoes are mixed with basil and bacon and put in 4-inch pie shells, they are topped with a mixture of mayonnaise, cheese, green onions, salt, and pepper and baked. It will be a challenge choosing only 5 dishes from MA. David from Fort Worth TX. You can’t go wrong with tomatoes, basil and cheese. Remove from oven, place a layer of tomatoes, then a layer of onions, sprinle with flour, season to taste. Friday, July 19, 2019 Edit. Lots of fresh basil. I have been making a similar recipe for years, however I sometimes brown and drain Italian sausage and place in the bottom of the crust for a great dinner entree. The Tomato Pie will always have a special place in my heart. Leave a comment below with a shout-out to your home state and let me know if you have suggestions for regional dishes you think I should cover! (Not necessarily based on last nights game—!). Does this pie need to be served hot. You might have to increase the tomato, but that’s a good thing! They all love it. Crimp thè èdgès and pokè holès in thè bottom of thè crust using thè tinès of a fork. Made it exactly like the recipe and it is absolutely delicious! To make this recipe truly Southern, I would recommend Duke’s mayo rather than Hellman’s, if it’s abailable in your area. Sprèad thè chèèsè mixturè ovèr thè top of thè piè. You’ve only seen CT. We have so much more to offer in Culinary Tradition and History. One 9-inch homemade or store-bought pie crust, pre-baked 3 or 4 large ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, seeds removed 1/4 medium sweet onion, minced (1/4 cup) I Really Love This Pie!! Thanks, Gloria! The love that was extended to us through that pie was something we desperately needed to help us heal from a devastating loss. It did very well! Tomato soup, sauce, salsa… This looks gorgeous AND I can use our fresh basil too. I found it last summer 10 years later and made it many times last year. Layer the tomato slices into the bottom of your pre-baked pie shell. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with a few layers of paper towels. Hèat ovèn to 375 dègrèès F.  Linè a baking shèèt with a fèw layèrs of papèr towèls. Par-bake the crust for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with … So thank you very much for that. Stir to combinè. Let sít for 10-15 mínutes, then use fresh paper towels to pat-dry the tomatoes and remove move of the excess juíce so the píe doesn't turn out soggy. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, then use fresh pâper towels to pât-dry the tomâtoes ând remove move of the excess juice so the pie doesn't turn out soggy. Love it! I’ve never had tomato pie but this looks and sounds just a little bit sinful. Yummy! We use a refrigerated pizza crust. I thought the basil would be way to overpowering. Your tour of America sounds wonderful! Then lay paper towels on top of newspaper then tomatoes then another layer of paper towels. Classic Southern Tomato Pie Simple fresh ingredients - juicy tomatoes and fresh herbs, layered in a flaky pie crust, with sweet onion and cheese. I will bake this pie and remember the old days of my youth. There is some level of runniness and I’m not entirely sure what a good workaround would be without making the pie gummy. Yum! This is a fabulous recipe. (Cheez Wiz, of course). Lol. Technically, yes, but it wouldn’t slice out very well since the crust gives the structure to hold the tomatoes. We ate over half of it for lunch. I’m definitely making this as soon as my garden gets a few more tomatoes. 1 unbakèd piè crust; 4-5 tomatoès, slicèd; 1 tèaspoon salt; 10 frèsh basil lèavès, choppèd (about 1/4 cup) 1/2 cup choppèd grèèn onion I’ll have to give it a try next summer when the tomatoes are in season. Lay tomato slices out onto a paper towel lined baking sheet in a single layer. Used Bradley tomatoes and fresh basil.Husband liked it so much I added garlic…why not? I also sprinkle a little grated hard Parmesan cheese on warm prebaked pie crust. They are technically called Tomato Canapés, but my family calls them Cups of Love. how long can I leave it out on counter after cooking? Learn how your comment data is processed. Thanks! Look forward to the fresh tomatoes from the garden every year so I can make this!! I’m excited about the American Eats series too and have so many amazing and fun recipe ideas in store! And while I’m sure that it would be a hit at a party as a take along dish, sadly, I’m selfish and eat the whole pie all on my own. I am making it for the brunch party next week fro sure and impress the guests . My grandma used to make it all the time when tomatoes were just fresh off the vines… I haven’t had it in way too long. What a fun idea for a recipe series! I’ve never had a tomato pie! Was a tiny bit runny but it was still hot (waited over 10 minutes) and I was able to keep the slices on a spatula. I appreciate you watching out for others, but I do try to give attribution when drawing upon the recipes of others. No lite. This is what America eats, and it’s going to take me a while to get through every state, but I’m super excited about this project and hope you will be excited to follow along and try some of these dishes too, even if they are new to you. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve warm. Haven’t made it to the south yet, but if this pie is something to go by then I am sure we will love the food!!! I agree that America has a great, unique food culture all it’s own that is worth our attention! This looks amazing! Plimoth Plantation with the first American Thanksgiving Dinner, a harvest festival. Roll out pie crust ând use it to line â pie plâte. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I added caramelized onions between the layers of tomatoes and it added a beautiful hint of sweetness and depth of flavor. Thanks for a lovely recipe and I will report back Tons more moisture is soaked up. Spread the cheese mixture over the top of the pie. Wow! https://www.southernliving.com/food/entertaining/tomato-pie-recipes This was absolutely delicious. What I do to avoid the runniness is cut out the seeded areas of the slices. Slice the tomatoes and lay on the paper towels in a single layer, then sprinkle with the salt to draw out the tomato juices. Tomato pie has been on my list to make forever. Cheese and mayo mixture is very common in Russian cooking.