That pretty much explains the challenges of the past decades, as well as why and how most growers in Hawaii are bringing in and growing strains from other places. Weed growing in Hawaii is a bit unlike other states. Rent is killer here, so being provided that free room and board goes a long ways. Get Medical Marijuana Card Hawaii (329 Card). One of the most popular indoor lights used by Hawaii marijuana growers is the Hortilux T5 PowerVeg bulb. I have tried some seeds a hippie guy gifted me, but they weren’t spectacular. He moved to lower Nahiku in 1983. I am currently on my first grow but I have a big worm farm that I’m using for my beautiful gurls. Or just look around the seedbanks, you might find a indica/sativa with decent mold resistance, you never know, just research around brah. Just went on your web site and read “your” history of pakalolo. Puna Buddaz even performs well for our mainland ‘Ohana on da west coast who have grown her in OR and CA with great results. Flip the lights on as sunset approaches. Good luck to all. She will grow tall with a typical Sativa Christmas tree shape. A grafted tree will begin to bear fruit after 3 to 4 years in the ground, with most varieties being harvested in the summer months. And marijuana wasn’t introduced to the Hawaiian islands hundreds of years ago. An intense high comparable to mushrooms. Sativa cultivars tend to grow better because of … It has a flowery and hazy smoke, and it is ideal for a strong yet mellow high. Clear out any brush on the ground around your grow site that could be habitat to slugs. 4. Thanks to auto-flowering strains, you can even enjoy the fruits of several bountiful harvests each year. Herbmedix is reader-supported and contains affiliate links. And it rains A LOT. Hawaiian Snow seeds – Wow that sounds nice! Between 7 and 15 percent is on the medium-lower end these days but that doesn’t mean you can’t get an effect on par with some more heavy hitters from Kona Gold. Does well inbred as well as making crosses. Hawaiian history would be filled with dances and chants and kahuna knowledge protected from kapu. It is almost totally immune to mold problems. Famous cannabis strains with extraordinary mold resistance are those native to areas with a warm and humid climate. Just curious. Fill out the forms. Being here for 30 years, I’m sure you know how trying to finish buds in humid climates can be. A lot of Seedsman strains grow good in Hawaii and other tropical areas too, I got my buddy in SE Asia some of their genetics too and he loves them. Mangoes grow best in areas with 40 to 60 inches of rain annually. Submit and wait. No drastic seasonal shifts here. Seeds by cross-breeding Hawaiian and Afghani genetics but has since been discontinued. Take it light Braddah. The one thing we don’t have to worry about is the harsh cold. Although the strongest sativa plants might take longer flowering time than the purest indica plants, trust us – the latest and best sativa strains of 2020 are some you’ve got to consider growing. While the personal opinion voiced on Herbmedix is that cannabis plants have been wrongfully outlawed, by no means do we encourage anyone to break their local laws. It’s not hard to grow this strain outdoors and you’ll be rewarded with great yields. Ok guys tell me, what strains are the BEST for very wet climates?? Sweet ZZ is our own version of the legendary Zkittlez. If financial issues are a hurdle to getting the seeds you need no worries…Pua Mana ‘Ohana can…;-). Furthermore, some high-CBD flowers have been used from time to time to make some popular tinctures and oils. To qualify as a patient, you must have an eligible debilitating medical condition. They say good things come to those who wait and it’s certainly true of Hawaiian Snow cannabis. The best herb I have ever seen, was some that I grew out in Hawaiian Acres. Support the UH Student Relief fund and COVID-19 research Hybrids are perhaps the most rewarding option for short season cannabis growing. I was pondering on ordering some seeds, but being on disability and making in a month what I usually made in a week, is making that a non option for me at.this point. Before moving to Ookala I also lived in the Puna district but in Kalapana-Kapoho. Growing in Hawaii. Breaking and burning the nugs will let it … Orient Express Keep up da good work with your site and your grow, Great information and writing, I’m thinking a collaboration article may be on the way…, As far as collaboration articles…If can…can…;-), Hey, cool. Indoor growing has changed the face of marijuana cultivation. Consumers love Maui Wowie for its mouthwatering pineapple flavor and all-day energizing effects. Best Marijuana Seeds in Hawaii If you’re looking for something you can take in the evening to relax the stresses of the day and help you ease off into sleep, we strongly recommend an indica-dominant strain like Mazar , which can ease anxiety and insomnia. This list of best sativa strains in the current market reviews 10 different sativa cannabis plants which are pure, ... but many of the plants on our sativa strains list are also quite easy to grow. Running jack herer and gelato og from seedsman along with some (molokai pakalolo) seeds i scored from da expo So,…this is a great help when the plants are 6 weeks into flowering, and it rains pitchforks and hammer handles for a week and a half.! Is it hard to get a Medical Card on Oahu? A lot of growers end up with what’s known as the lollipop: a stick in the ground with a single bud. All information provided in articles is aimed strictly at those who are legally able to put it into practice. The best bet for indicas is to start seeds around late summer to fall. Cannabis plants thrive best in conditions that are both wet (to gain as much moisture as possible) and sunny. The comments above from user “puamana” are in no way shape or form affiliated with Pua Mana ‘Ohana or Pua Mana 1st Hawaiian Pakalōlō Seed Bank. Hi there, I recently graduated with my medical degree and I’m looking for opportunities as a wwoofer on a Cannabis Farm before my medical internship. Even missing one day should be avoided. It’s a real bummer that I have had to give up many strains I grew for years. Sativa seeds sprouted too early in the season may get old and woody (what we call “pepper pot”) by the time they are ready to harvest. Tip: make sure to download our free Grow Bible for more information. Some Hawaii marijuana growers use genetics adapted to Hawaii daylength, but these genetics are rare and plants don’t get very big before they … Regular marijuana will require sexing as they commence flowering, and the males separated for at least the first few weeks to avoid early pollination, leading to low bud and seed production. Simply put, the plants grow faster in the long season and slower in the short season. Here are two things to consider before planting: The short season is unique to subtropical climates. Tangerine Power bears citrusy aromas with just a hint of spice, which some find to be reminiscent of an Afghan Kush. The Big Island of Hawaii, for example, has many of the world’s climate zones. My name is Shane Ostergard. The Hawaiian Gold strain hails from the tropical islands of Hawaii. Top 5 Canadian Seed Banks + What Makes Them Awesome, Volcano Vaporizer for Sale? First off, Joseph from Nahiku didn’t live on Maui in the 60’s, he lived in la Jolla and moved to Maui in the 70s. The light hours in Hawaii are very similar to the hours in Calif. Here’s one of the best strains for hot humid climate conditions. Related Posts. First step is to get your State of Hawaii 329 Medical Cannabis registration card. Hit winter upside the head with a blast from the Pacific. Disclaimer Where smoking, vaping, growing or otherwise interacting with cannabis is discussed on this website, it is always with the understanding that your engagement in all/any cannabis related activities is not in conflict with local laws. No disrespect intended, just clearing things up. So I am scrapping them and giving the Blue Dream a shot at long season. You may also like. 10. Outdoor plants grow taller to heights of 180–220cm, producing good yields of up to 625g per plant. I didn’t. My plan for Fall was to start WWOOFing in Hawaii, This position could be a good fit for me. Whether you are starting a small two plant home grow or run a major grow-operation for a nationwide dispensary, you need to know the hottest strains on the market before youplant your first seed or prep your first clone. Lowryder is a good entry-level strain for beginning growers and will reward its stewards with THC levels ranging between 12-20% at about week nine. Check out Dr. David J Barton http://www.medicalmarijuanaofhawaii.org/. I am sure that you will be impressed. Since cannabis can grow almost anywhere up to 50° latitude North and South, these strains can grow in a variety of habitats—warm, cold, humid, arid, you name it. © 2021 Mold Resistant Strains. Cool-season grass varieties cannot live in the heat and humidity of the region; the seeds germinate, but the grass perish within two months of planting. Not only does the purest sativa strain offers one of the most creative long-lasting highs, but it a is also great for providing users with an uplifting experience. So for the best chances at success, you may need to narrow things down a bit. This plant can be seen thriving in hot and humid areas as well as in freezing regions of the planet. Jordan of the Islands created Blue Hawaiian, a mix of Blueberry and Hawaiian. Where To Find The Best Deal, Where to Find Cannabis Seeds with Guaranteed Germination, Which seed banks ship to the USA, Australia... (+ 3 more countries), How to increase THC when growing cannabis; Everything you need to know, Best Portable Herb Vaporizer Under $200: Our Top 5 Selection, 8 Wooden weed smoking accessories, to burn with a natural vibe. 2. Buy Marijuana seeds in Hawaii and begin creating your own seeds and strains, use the highest quality male genetics and most stable foundation strains such as the selection we offer here. It’s not merely a beginners’ issue and it’s not necessarily something done wrong. And beginners should still be cautious not to overdo things as she can creep up on you despite those THC levels you might not think too much of. I have had my heart broken many times due to mold, and I am at constant battle with mold. Another epic Maui strain from back in da day you may remember was called: Galactica. They grow into a large, spreading trees that can reach 20 feet tall or more. Hawaii is actually a great place to grow cannabis because of the weather conditions, it gets the perfect amount of rain and sunshine all year long. I think that it is not only the best strain in Puna, but the best I have ever seen. I can be reached VIA email @ hannichad4gmail.com The dark of the moon in April seems to be a good time for sativa dominant hybrids. best cannabis strains to grow in hawaii. The University of Hawaii has also developed varieties of tomatoes resistant to root-knot nematode, a tomato pest present on the islands. The Best Strains for Tropical Climates Although not native to the region, many varieties of cannabis thrive in the tropics. As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com. She can handle cold temps and is no stranger to tropical rain. Puna Budder is another great Hawaiian strain to know about, even if most of us won’t have much luck finding seeds to grow. Cannabis plants growing in the long season are typically ready to harvest from August to November. Find a local medical marijuana physician. Fingers crossed! But of course, mold resistant strains will be the best bet! Therefore, it quickly became one of the most desirable strains around. I have your books, and we met once long ago…I used to camp out near Makena at Changs back in the day. Indica seeds sprouted before spring might not adjust to the long season—they’ll end up finishing early in June or July. Buy Marijuana seeds in Hawaii and begin creating your own seeds and strains, use the highest quality male genetics and most stable foundation strains such as the selection we offer here. It grows to produce a reasonable amount of yield if you consider the fact that it’s growing is less demanding compared to other weed strains. LED grow lights are a good option for many cannabis growers, especially here with the high price of electricity in Hawaii. This optimism-breeding sativa has tropical aromas and flavors, transporting the user to the mildest climates of Hawaii. Looking to the future, it’s a disturbing trend. You can start seeds any time from spring to mid-summer to grow during long season. On the flip side, starting indicas too late will result in the plants blooming into winter, when yields are reduced due to low light hours. I have found some old seeds that I made, but not exactly sure what strain, and they’re at least 3 years old. Buy marijuana seeds in Hawaii from online seed banks and local breeders. Connect with the local cannabis community. To order seeds, contact the UH Seed Laboratory at seed@ctahr.hawaii.edu or call (808) 956-7890. At under 11 hours in December it is lower than even a flowering room indoors, so starting seeds at this light cycle makes a strange predicament for the plants to decide how to grow. I had several strains that I had worked on for years, but some person took my seeds, never knowing the treasures they possessed. Nutrients are important for growing healthy plants. With today’s best autos, you get the best of all worlds - all with the bonus of little to no effort required. This won’t come as a surprise. Kona Gold is a pure Sativa, great for stress relief (there must be something about those islands, right?) How Color-Changing Pipes Work; a Look Behind the Scenes, Absolute Highest THC Cannabis Strains, Top 10 Heavy Hitters (+ Where to Find Seeds), How Long to Veg Clones & More: Top 10 Questions about Cloning Answered, What Reputable Seed Banks Have in Common (It’s Not Just the Best Cannabis Seeds! Kona Gold is a massive Hawaiian sativa from da Kona side of da Big Island. Be sure to do your own research and check some reviews before spending your hard-earned moolah. Indoor growers can manipulate this trait to control the size and life cycle of their plants. She handles da tropical monsoon downpours of da Puna District on da Big Island of Hawai’i like a champ. It supposed to say Minister of da Sinse. Brown and gray mold can destroy a crop in a matter of two days there. Use your head, stay out of trouble, and don’t blame us for anything. The only strain I liked as much was the Diesel I brought from Maui. Pua mana, I agree with some of the information you spread but… A couple things are miss information. Outdoor growers are subject to the sun’s daylight schedule as seasons change. It is easy to grow and suitable for outdoor farming, too, as it was originally developed for this purpose in California. Get your 329 card, build a grow site and start plants at the right time. With very little effort, this gem will provide buds with a sweet scent and the user with a relaxing high I’m glad to hear from someone else who is familiar with some of the old school Hawaiian strains. That means you won’t find the tropical strains you’d expect- except in one special case. They’re easy to spot: Many of these derived strains use the name ‘Hawaiian’ as part of theirs. We should have the right to use any plant we choose. Sincerely, This “Death” strain you are describing sounds quite similar to a variety we call “Vietnamese Black” – a sativa that will make your heart race with paranoia. Hawaiian landrace strains such as Puna Buddaz, Maui Wowie, Moloka’i Purpz and Kaua’i Electric have spent hundreds of years acclimatizing and adapting to the unique tropical environment we have here in Hawai’i and are your best bet in ensuring a bountiful Hawaiian harvest. Moloka’i Purpz gets her lovely purple hues from being cultivated high (literally) atop the tallest sea cliffs on Earth on da island of Moloka’i. I've grown plenty of buds on the big island. This grow hack lets you control the plants just like an indoor grower does, leaving size and bloom cycle up to you. A wide variety of Hawaiian landrace strains existed on the market, with different strains originating on the various islands. Mahalo . Both indoor and outdoor cultivation is done every month of the year in Hawaii. Guerilla growing. There is a non-refundable $38.50 registration fee. It was a good read. You can search Google Maps for MMJ doctors nearby. Schedule an appointment to get diagnosed. Some say eight, some say ten – we’re not here to debate this number in particular. lol. Extremely mold resistant, and able to finish up hard and dank outside in the pouring rain. As of 2016, all applications must be submitted online at eHawaii.gov. CBD-rich strains include CBD Critical Cure, a local Hawaii-acclimated cut of Cannatonic, and the in-house 20:1 CBD strain called Mauka Berry. Kali Mist is a Sativa dominant hybrid with 90:10 ratio to Indica. This strain is known to grow very tall outdoors and is perfect for any sativa lover. You can harvest marijuana buds throughout winter, spring and early summer. She performs well for us, hardy towards the outdoors and has yielded higher than many strains grown side-by-side. of usable cannabis jointly. PUA MANA, I believe I had the Maui Wowie strain to which you’re referring….however, it was know to me as the Pink Gorillas, or the Gorilla Pinks, depending on who you were talking to. Ages 21 and older only. Add Comment. Thanks for the info. For indoor cultivation methods, see Reddit’s r/microgrowery and our DIY Hydroponic Setup Guide for inspiration. The daylight hours in Hawaii range from a high of 13.5 hours in the summer to a low of about 11 hours in the winter. That way, the plants can get bigger than if they were started over the winter. The Best Chronic Pain Reliever: Indica, Sativa, or Hybrid? With that said, the weather conditions in different areas of the Hawaiian islands vary. However, there are times and areas with a lot of rain and humidity or lengthy droughts to take into consideration. The new strains of our modern era have a higher THC content, better yields and more complex terpene profiles than ever before. Top 7 Marijuana Strains to Grow in 2021. Here are the top 10 cannabis strains for tropical and wet climates: Kali Mist. Famous Hawaiian landrace cultivars include Maui Wowie, Kona Gold (from the Big Island), and Kauai Electric (from Kauai). And if you come across the Death, LMK. We picked the 10 best weed strains to grow outdoors based on grow time, yield, potency, and flavor. I have just noticed the tip for the powdery mildew. Cannabis is something I am passionate about and would love to learn more and more about it. Before marijuana cultivation ever became a thing, landrace cannabis strains were natively growing all around the world in places like the Himalayas, Jamaican fields, and Thai jungles.In fact, landrace varieties still grow wild in those places. While it is fairly easy to grow, it does prefer the tropics, a lot of sun, and the rich, volcanic soil as we have in Hawaii. That’s why it’s better to start the fast flowering indicas after the sativas. Another local favorite that Big Island Grown produces is Dutch Treat, a … Punani But what’s even more mindblowing is that there are over 180 different species of mushrooms that grow wildly around the globe—and which all contain psilocybin. There are many popular varieties available in Hawaii. I've grown plenty of buds on the big island. The only place online where I’ve seen seeds for sale is at the Canadian Hemp Company. Normally, the plants grow slower in short season. The Minister, Aloha Puamana, Since 2019, an electronic registration card is provided, eliminating the wait time for a hard copy 329 card by mail. Maui Wowie, Molokai’i Purpz, Kaua’i Electric, or Kona Gold may seem like obvious choices. Shoots….please get at me if you’re familiar with this strain. You can start from seed, clone or use established plants. Ok guys tell me, what strains are the BEST for very wet climates?? This is why you’ll hear Hawaiian growers talk about the best time to start seeds. Maui Waui has a slightly piney and earthy aroma. Kali Mist is a Sativa dominant hybrid with 90:10 ratio to Indica. After harvest, Durban Poison is perhaps one of the best daytime strains to enjoy during summer due to its clear, functional effects and energetic high. I live in Hawaii, and plan on doing an outdoor grow around 2500 ft. elevation in a volcanic rainforest. It’s not hard to grow this strain outdoors and you’ll be rewarded with great yields. However, this place catches a lot of flack on both seedfinder and rollitup for being a scam. Bruce Banner #3 Strain Not to mention, some species have dozens of different strains with their own signature shape, flavor, and trip (we’re looking at you, Psilocybe cubensis! In Hawaii, Surinam cherry produces one first crop in March-May, then a second crop in September-November. ----- The daylight hours in Hawaii range from a high of roughly 13 ½ hours in June to a low of under 11 hours in December. It has THC content of 15% to 26%. As a grower, you can grow extra big yields and trichome-coated buds. View all posts. All you need to do is stay on top of an adequate water supply and perhaps provide a little shade. There are specific cannabis strains that grow successfully on this kind of climate. The light hours in Hawaii are very similar to the hours in Calif. OG Kush is hailed as one of the strongest and most potent strains in the world. Once your grow site is prepared and ready to grow, it’s time to get some plants. OG Kush keeps you calm and blissful throughout the day. These types of plants grow and bloom according to the light hours seen per day. All I had to do was describe my pain symptoms to the doctor, and he kindly assisted me through the rest of the process. Authentic Hawaiian-bred strains are an option, but most strains will do more than thrive on the islands. Ten-foot plants soon became as rare as the Hawaiian NeNe (endemic goose). Kaua’i Electric can handle whatever tropical rain is thrown her way and she will not only survive, she will thrive. Yes, they allow their medical marijuana patients to grow plants – up to seven mature plants – but they are the only state to make laws specifically relating to guerilla growing. ... (It's Not Just the Best Cannabis Seeds!) Something similar to a True Living Organics mix may be reused for multiple grows. I am going to try that for sure. It very well could be a relationship to the VB. Anything by Sensi seeds you can get regular as well, I recommend Early Pearl. Thanks. Seeds that are currently available are on the UH Seed Laboratory website. I am currently running the “Blue Dream”, and a few other strains that turned out to be molders. The main thing to worry about in Hawaii is humidity during flowering. The seeds come in individual home garden packets for $1.50 each, and the lab ships them directly to home addresses. I am disclosing that I’ve included certain products and links to those products on this site that I will earn an affiliate commission for any purchases you make. Awesome! 3. 2. Now that we know what makes a good strain to grow outdoors, it’s time to look at some recommended cultivars. Either way: that’s a lot of variables in the weather on one small island. Hawaii’s soils are often low in Nitrogen and Calcium. Mark dates on your calendar to cut new clones or plant seeds, transplants, flowering and harvest. 10 Best Strains to Grow in Winter 2021 Marijuana is a very hardy plant, and in fact, it can survive in almost all climates and environments. Fantastic. This strain imparts strong scents and flavors of pineapple. Sour Diesel is a mood-boosting Sativa dominant strain with relaxing effects. This means that first-time offenders are frequently given probation instead of jail time. If planning on growing autos in 2021, which guarantee the ultimate bang for buck? And also, get it if you can. Depending on where you are in Hawaii, there may be soil to amend and grow in. Aloha! Hawaii Cannabis Organization, Hawaii Cannabis News – Hawaii cannabis education, events and community. Unfortunately, it takes a long time to flower; northern … I have been breeding for years, and was forced into a temporary hiatus….but am now ready to get back into the action, and I am hitting a brick wall of feminized seeds. Mt. However, other strains, including new hybrids, have caught up and even exceeded this infamous strain in THC content. We reviewed thousands of weed strains available on the market as of November 2020 and created a simple list to help you pick the most potent and strongest weed strain for your personal enjoyment and therapeutic pursuits. But it’s not much help with the powdery mildew. Which are the best cannabis strains to grow in Hawaii? Puna Buddaz is a very special lil lady and is our #1 pick for growing mold resistant strains in Hawai’i. Seeds that is a Hawaiian x Afgan imitation under a similar name) is an amazing survivor and true legend in da Pakalōlō kingdom. It helps to keep the lights on (server lights, not grow lights, cheeky) so: thank you! Where smoking, vaping, growing or otherwise interacting with cannabis is discussed on this website, it is always with the understanding that your engagement in all/any cannabis related activities is not in conflict with local laws. 25 of those years I have been growing in Hawaii. What are your favorite strains and methods for growing marijuana in Hawaii? Puna Buddaz (da real Hawaiian strain, not the strain “Puna Budder” released by T.H. Keep writing. This is a great article I learned a lot especially about mold resistant strains, thank you for sharing this and bringing me one step closer to growing my own marijuana! Cbd. Otherwise, you can buy potting mix or blend your own. Very interesting indeed. Maui Wowie is all pineapple-ish fragrance and happy energy. While spraying vitamin C, or garlic oil on your plants may dissolve some powdery mildew and mold, there is only one tried and true way to grow Pakalōlō in Hawai’i with minimal issues arising from mold due to the high humidity here on da Hawaiian islands: grow HAWAIIAN Pakalōlō strains!! And the buds are as dense and killer….so potent that even an old school fool like me would be sweating, mumbling, too stoned to accomplish much. It helps to keep the lights on (server lights, not grow lights, cheeky) so: thank you! Start sativa seeds and sativa dominant hybrid seeds as early as February until May to for long season growing. Moldy Weed 101: Can It Be Fixed & How Risky Is Smoking It? It also has a pungent aroma full of citrusy, sweet, and earthy notes. In the grow room she will climb to about 1.5m in height like a sativa but bloom in just 9-10 weeks like an indica. The secret to these highly-efficient LED grow lights is their optimized red and blue light spectrum—frequencies most absorbed by plants. From its Hawaiian side, Puna Budder has inherited the tropical scent and flavor. Northern Lights is known for having a higher CBD content than most making it great for medical users. I see all of these interesting strains….but it’s looking like they are all feminized. This easy-to-grow autoflowerer is a great choice for the beginning outdoor grower. Shoots, thanks for the info. We are working on organizing a Hawai’i Blue card seed giveaway for patients here on da islands. Bermudagrass forms a dense, attractive sod. Here’s one of the best strains to grow in high heat: Sour Diesel . The dark lime green buds are steady and densely covered with crystals. With the 11 week flowering time, “Death” is likely a hybrid of “Vietnamese Black”, may be a local kept goodie, but check out these strains with “VB” in their genetics. I have not tried it though. I forgot to mention the molokai frost, that was a great strain for Puna too. That’s not much variance in daylight which is why many strains don’t grow relative to their normal flowering times. Seeds of Hawaii 78 are – again – not widely available so if you have any tips as to where to score this sought-after strain, do drop us a line in the comments. Anyway, I am having to start all over again thanks to some asshole who literally robbed every thing of value on my old property, when I had to go to the mainland for a family emergency. Aloha , p.s. However, most sativas are quick to re-veg in the spring. Seeds scattered by birds or from fallen fruits will sprout baby seedlings under the mother tree. Authentic Hawaiian-bred strains are an option, but most strains will do more than thrive on the islands. Salzberg. Sour Diesel 3. If you love cannabis it's a safe bet you're always on the hunt to find the best weed strain.