Amplification technology: Valve (vacuum tube) Add to compare Blackstar. Blackstar HT Club 40 MkII Also, one of the preamp tubes was intermittently noisy. The "Boutique" button on the clean channel gives you a glassy, chimey clean sound that gives my Fender amp a run for its money. The HT Club 40 has two independent channels for clean and gain tones. I wanted to like HTs but I just can't deny feeling underwhelmed. On the dirty side, you can toggle between a classic Marshall-style profile and a higher-gain setting with the greater compression and midrange bulk of a post-’80s amp with multiple gain stages. We pit two 1 watt heads against each other and find out how they compare. If you're going to be playing out, get a Marshall. I prefer a HT Club 40. Blackstar HT Club 40 vs Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III In his spare time Joe produces the Joe Gore line of guitar effects and edits a geeky guitar blog (tonefiend.com). I'd go with the Blackstar over a DSL, but that's just me. suggested Marshall DSL40CR Tone King Imperial Blackstar HT Club 40 Marshall DSL40CR Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 Marshall DSL20CR Marshall JVM215C Marshall DSL15C Fender Blues Deluxe Boss Katana-100 We and our partners use cookies to give you the best online experience, including to personalise advertising and content. Marshall Dsl 40c Vs Blackstar Ht-40 - My Perspective. Popular comparisons. The Blackstar has some diode clipping added to the circuit for added ultra gain if needed. Re: Blackstar Ht-50 vs Marshall DSL Blackstar is awesome- I own the HT-20 head. For the money I think the Blackstar is better. The Blackstar HT Club 40 is a fantastic tube amp for the money. But since the Club 40 is quite dynamically responsive, I could have created even more variations by attenuating the amp input. One nice touch: a rear-panel switch to toggle between bright and dark reverb algorithms. They had some great(some of which put the DSL Series to shame) to ensure combos in past in the past and some go for cheap. The new Mark II version of Blackstar’s HT Club 40 looks backward and forward in time. My brother is considering the both amps mentioned in this thread. Thanks for visiting. I've just never loved the Marshall sound. I currently have the Blackstar HT-1R and it's a great amplifier. Full of Flavors On PremierGuitar.com, "Sponsored Content" refers to articles, videos, or audio recordings that are produced or curated by an advertiser but that, Jim Campilongo Is a Guitar Student for Life, Blackstar Amplification Announces the HT Club 40 MkII Kentucky Special, Summer NAMM 2019: Blackstar Amplification HT Club 40 MkII Kentucky Special & AmPlug 2 Fly, Blackstar Releases HT Club 40 Vintage Pro and Launches ID:Core Series, NAMM '12 - Blackstar Amplification HT-Metal Pedal & HT Club 50 Head Demos, 2. Kinda what I suspected due to Blackstar's price points. I picked mine up for right around $400 off of Craigslist with a spare set of tubes. Club 40 is most likely to appeal to players who tend to hang out on the distortion side of the spectrum. Tailored for Tracking I've not really played many amps from those companies so I don't know how accurate the representation is, but I do know that I like the result and buying the amp has had me playing a lot more. There’s even a USB output jack for connecting the amp directly to your computer or audio interface. I will check the rivera, the thing is the boogie used is Express is around 800 luckily, the blackstar is ht-40.. obviously the boogie is superior in quality. Its my main gigging amp. Note that I recorded the entire clip using just one pickup on one guitar. Get the guaranteed best price on Tube Combo Guitar Amplifiers like the Blackstar HT Venue Series Club 40 40W 1x12 Combo MKII at Musician's Friend. The transformers are from Taiwan’s Chuang Meei company. EQs You Can Use I rarely use it but it's nice to tweak when recording. Privacy Policy | This is a forum where guitarists, from novice to experienced, can explore the world of guitar through a variety of media and discussion. The overdrive tone stack is trickier: Its treble, mid, and bass controls are paired with an ISF (“infinite shape feature”) knob. Made in China • POWER RATING 40W/4W • VALVES 2x EL34, 2x ECC83 • CONTROL PANEL 1/4-inch jack input. Again, one profile recalls a vintage Marshall, while the other sounds more modern, with aggressive mids and djent-intensive lows. HT Club 40 Limited Edition HT Club 40 MkII. Re: Marshall DSL 40 CR vs Blackstone HT Club 40 ?? The clean tones are perfectly nice, and you can get powerful crunch sounds on the clean side, especially with the voice switch in the out position. Between the ISF pot and the voicing switch, there are a lot of distortion flavors here. I had a HT20 for a year, but it just didn't do it for me. YOU DECIDE! It will likely hold up better than a Blackstar, which have terrible track records for road use. suggested Marshall DSL40C Marshall DSL40CR Fender Custom '57 Deluxe Blackstar Artist 30 Fender Blues Deluxe Marshall DSL40C Marshall DSL40CR Tone King Imperial Vox amPlug I/O Monoprice 611720 We and our partners use cookies to give you the best online experience, including to personalise advertising and content. Hooked: Tommy Emmanuel on The Shadows' "Apache" & Chet Atkins' "Windy and Warm", 4. Press J to jump to the feed. I don't have a downer on Blackstar, I'm all for a British company that can compete with the reputation that the 5150 and 6505 amps have. Hey guys, So soon I'll be getting a new amp. Even better, you can fade between the two characters, accessing cool hybrid tones. Soundwise, I think they sound great and many other guitarists have thought it sounded great. Both amps running into a Laboga 112 V30. The simulation is definitely good enough for headphone practicing and possibly for tracking. One thing I observe about all the Blackstar amps I've played is they have an unusual Midrange response. I think either amp would suit you fine personally, but the Marshall has a 1 watt feature which is handy, and you can alway get a reverb pedal for it. They sound more "Marshall" than modern Marshalls in my experience. And they’re likely to remain decisive even after you plug in a fuzz or distortion pedal. This amp puts out a loud 40 watts, with excellent dispersion thanks to the open-backed cabinet. But I would try and go for an Egnater Tweaker. That's what I've been saying for awhile, surprised you weren't downvoted into hell by the idiots here. No effects added. At the end of the day I can't emphasize enough to actually try them out in store. (Remember, that’s about half volume, not 10 percent volume, according to the way our ears perceive loudness.). /* Add your own Mailchimp form style overrides in your site stylesheet or in this style block. The amp’s construction is solid for its price range. In addition to three speaker output jacks, there are both XLR and 1/4" direct recording outputs—the latter doubling as a headphone jack. And it's built like a tank. I'm sure if you get a big giant Triple Super Lead with a full stack and crank the hell out of it, it sounds awesome, but that certainly isn't an option for me. Finally, there’s a mono effects loop switchable between mic and line levels. It's also got three settings which supposedly mimic a marshall, a vox and a fender style amp respectively. They can be found relatively cheap on craigslist. I'm looking at the Blackstar HT Club 40 and the Peavey Classic 30. Joined: Nov 15, 2010 Messages: 819 Likes Received: 649 Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida. Marshall came out with teh DLS40 because Blackstar was kicking their ass lately.Marshall has a the three band EQ for the clean channel, but it shares it with the dirty channel. That said, I would look into a Blackstar again for a larger amp, but I haven't spent much of any time on a Marshall, so take that for what its worth. Your Pedalboards 2020: Part Deux, 1. The DSL is great though. The Blackstar HT Club 40 is a fantastic tube amp for the money. I tried them both and didn't like the distortion channel on either one. I'm planning to get a better combo amp, and I can't decide between the Marshall DSL40C or the Blackstar HT Club 40. Many of the amp’s new-for-Mark II features appear on the rear panel. San Francisco-based Senior Contributing Editor Joe Gore has recorded with Tom Waits, PJ Harvey, Tracy Chapman, Courtney Love, Marianne Faithfull, Les Claypool, Flea, DJ Shadow, John Cale, and many other artists. The Blackstar has the ISF feature which, as I understand it, shifts the EQ ranges of the EQ dials. Nor did I lower the guitar volume knob from its maximum position. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, Fender Telecaster '72 | Laney Ironheart | Schecter Banshee. There were, however, a couple of minor quality-control issues: Several pots sounded scratchy, though an application of electronic contact cleaner would probably heal them. Meanwhile, it’s packed with modern features that expand the amp’s … That link was eye opening. Blackstar HT Venue MkII Club 40 • PRICE £699 • DESCRIPTION Hybrid valve/solid-state combo with two footswitchable channels and four footswitchable voices. I must admit, I've never played though a Marshall that I have ever liked. I love Marshall amps more, but I love older or more expensive amps from the company. I play mostly classic rock, hard rock, metal, and blues. Meanwhile, it’s packed with modern features that expand the amp’s tonal range and facilitate recording. Don't waste your money. I had the HT-5R anniversary edition and I regretfully sold it. I would definitely side with Marshall but don't be afraid to look at used stuff. If you have guitar related questions, use the "Search" field or ask the community. The new Mark II version of Blackstar ’s HT Club 40 looks backward and forward in time. For the money I think the Blackstar is better. We recommend moving this block and the preceding CSS link to the HEAD of your HTML file. On the clean side, one voice remains tight and clean even at high volume, while the other generates bright, ultra-present distortion with the level cranked. Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by snshami, Feb 24, 2013. Fortunately, there’s a switch that cuts the power down to 4 watts, and you’re likely to use it. The HT-40 clean channel can be made to sound more like an Fender and the OD channel can go anywhere from classic rock marshall tones to more Mesa Boogie-esque higher gain. blackstaramps.com. I don’t switch pickups or alter the guitar’s tone settings—all the tonal variation comes from the amp. Marshall’s CODE 25 is one of the latest in a long line of famous rock amps. The electronic components—including the pots and jacks—are arranged on circuit board. Can't speak for the Blackstar but I have a DSL40 and love it. The Marshall DSL5C isn't quite as bad in that respect but pretty much the same premise. All About the Crunch Both include emulations of 1x12 and 4x12 cabinets, selectable by a rear-panel switch. The single 12" Celestion Seventy 80 speaker keeps those high-gain tones crisp and articulate. Don't get me wrong though, Blackstar is fantastic but I think you would like the Marshall more for some reason. Its tones evoke the great 50-watt Marshall amps of the ’60s and ’70s, thanks in part to a pair of EL34 power tubes. Note that most of the tone-sculpting action takes place in the overdrive channel. Marshall CODE 25. I sold a Blackstar Club HT-40 about a year ago. (Blackstar says the switch is included, but we didn’t receive one for testing.). Still, the Club 40 is most likely to appeal to players who tend to hang out on the distortion side of the spectrum. I have it on my Blackstar and It's nice, but I wouldn't say it's enough to give it an edge over the Marshall if you like the sound of the Marshall better. The best place to start if you're new is right below in our "Rules" section. But the Blackstar’s dirty channel is awesome. I've decided on buying a new amp. The China-built 1x12 combo sells for a budget-friendly $699. Marshall's 90's Valvestate line were the best hybrids. They're very cheap as well and they have great build quality. Had it about a year. The Verdict Tons of blackstar fanboys. Also the ht5 combo has a 12" speaker vs the Marshall 10". That why you actually get a feel for the amp. His music appears in many films and TV shows, plus an incriminating number of jingles. Try them at low volume AND at higher volumes. Alternative amps around the same price range are also welcome. Which one wins? Things you get from the Blackstar that you cannot with the marshall: Mesa and fender tones, it still sounds good at low volumes, and it has very unique ways of dialing tones (Read the thread I made called: Why I love Blackstar). The amp is plenty loud for gigs with an aggressive drummer, while multiple recording outs make it equally suited for the studio. In addition, it is indeed very versatile, thanks to the exclusive ISF control, allowing you to achieve a variety of sounds – you can easily reproduce a Marshall tone all the way to a Boogie tone. Whenever I play a Blackstar I'm always underwhelmed by the distortion but very surprised how much I like the cleans. I've come between either the Marshall DSL 40C or the Blackstar HT Club 40. Venue HT Soloist 60. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. You can hear some of the possibilities in the demo clip, along with a couple of clean sounds. suggested Marshall DSL40C Tone King Imperial Blackstar HT Club 40 Marshall DSL40C Boss Katana Artist Marshall DSL20CR Orange Rocker 32 Roland Blues Cube Hot Vox AC30S1 Marshall JVM215C. They always sound almost unpleasant at volume by themselves but when that drummer/ bass player/ keyboard player start playing the Marshall puts the guitar right where it should be.If you dont play in live venues with other players you dont need anything Marshall.I played the 40'watt Blackstar.My JCM800 4010 combo eats it for breakfast and then kills its older brother.The Blackstar has no touch sensitivity.Its like they did it all for you and … Terms Of Use. If it were me I'd take the marshall over the blackstar in this case. And I love my HT5 as it is great for my needs and I find it to be really versatile. Which one of these would you recommend? Re: Marshall DSL40C vs Blackstar HT Club 40 Preamp Tubes Post by Capel » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:48 am michael_dba wrote: I figure there is a good story behind these ex-Marshall engineers leaving Marshall and starting Blackstar. I ended up on an Egnater Tweaker Combo and it's lovely. The DSL series is very fizzy sounding. Can't go wrong with either one. Each channel has a push button that dramatically alters its voice. All Rights Reserved The composite cabinet feels sturdy. (It’s the bridge pickup on a solidbody parts guitar with retro-style PAFs.) Fine crunch sounds and ingenious design details make the Club 40 a bargain in its price range. Though the Club 40 can generate huge amounts of gain, tones remain punchy and well defined. This fades between two contrasting EQ profiles. Design, CMS, Hosting & Web Development :: ePublishing. Also the HT5 has an effects loop, but so does the Marshall. It's somewhere around 800-1K and it makes a nasal tonality come out. It’s an extraordinarily versatile control set. Joe has written several thousand articles about music and musicians and has contributed to many musical products, including Apple’s Logic and GarageBand programs. It’s solidly made for a production-line circuit board amp. The blackstar will get you more gain/distortion, the marshall might not be good for that really thick, scooped, metal sound, but as someone who likes to tinker with amp circuits and likes to be able to repair things on my own the amount of SMT components in the blackstar amps doesn't appeal to me. So, after nearly three years and possibly the most intensive R&D project in the company’s 10-year history, here we are with the new, improved MkII HT Venue, and the amp that could well become the range’s bestseller, the HT Venue Club 40 1x12 combo. */, Copyright ©2021. Both the clean tones and the distorted tones sound rich and full, and you get a ton of settings you can tweak (hence the name). Its tones evoke the great 50-watt Marshall amps of the ’60s and ’70s, thanks in part to a pair of EL34 power tubes. It has an upper-midrange spike that emphasizes pick attack, and some sub-100 Hz roll-off that, ironically, keeps the low end heavy and tight. Blackstar clean and dirt channel can be adjusted individually. I definitely prefer the gain channel on the blackstar vs the DSL. They can be had for 450 and 550 very frequently on eBay and GC used. Blackstar’s HT Club 40 MkII provides nice, solid clean tones. Page 3 of 3 < Prev 1 2 3. renips Well-Known Member. Durability, well I've had it for a few months and have hauled it around a fair bit for not gigging really and it has held up well. I have a Blackstar HT-5 Metal and I absolutely love it man. It has great cleans, but the distortion sounds like shitty solidstate, very flat and no power. Welcome to r/guitar, a community devoted to the exchange of guitar related information and entertainment. I think the Peavey 5150 smokes both of those amps. You could check out Orange but they're a bit more pricey by comparison. Just a simple comparison of a Marshall DSL-1H and a Blackstar HT-1R. But its star feature is a vast array of massive yet punchy distortion sounds, thanks to a multi-voiced gain channel and an innovative tone stack. Rig Rundown: God Is an Astronaut [2021], 1. I've got shot of my HT-5 now but still have a ht-1 combo which I use for practice which is fine. I also think the Mesa F50 is a good amp for you. There's this frequency that you can't get rid of. #mc_embed_signup{background:#fff; clear:left; font:14px Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; width:100%;} Fly 103. Amplification technology: Valve (vacuum tube) Cabinet shape: Straight; EQ on input: yes; Power (RMS): 60 W; Add to compare Blackstar. Add to compare Blackstar. Taylor GTe Urban Ash: The Premier Guitar Review. Clean channel: clean volume, clean voice (American/British), bass, treble. Power (RMS): 3 W; Add to compare Blackstar. Marshall’s answer to the Fender Mustang modeling series, the CODE 25 delivers the British company’s classic sounds in a sleek, streamlined package that’s easy for all players to afford. Both are really poor quality. I'll have around £500 to spend. The Club 40’s onboard digital reverb provides a solid reverb tank simulation, though, as on most faux springs, it’s a static effect that doesn’t respond dynamically to varying input levels. The cleans are superb and the crunch and distortion is amazing. If a loud clean sound is something you'd like your amp to deliver get the Blackstar. You can switch channels and voicings via footswitch. Beautiful cleans, amazing lead tone. I would say Blackstar, but that is because I have an HT5. The HT40 is cheaper as well. The clean channel employs a simple pair of bass and treble controls. Im not looking for marshall sound, that is what i am trying to get away from :P any other suggestion more boogie sound cheaper than mesa? I love Marshall amps more, but I love older or more expensive amps from the company.