I love this recipe. I used the prepackaged coleslaw mix but next time I will do my own. So that’s very little sugar per serving. The coleslaw is made with cabbage, carrots, green onions, and cilantro, and seasoned with rice vinegar. Creamy vs. tangy: Vary the ratio of mayonnaise and vinegar until you find the amounts that suit you best. :). Hi there- Happy to hear you enjoyed this coleslaw recipe! A sprinkling of celery seeds adds great flavor and texture. Glad both of you enjoyed this coleslaw recipe 😊. As much as I love mayo, I just find this a little “lighter” on the palate. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I combined the dressing ingredients in a small Mason jar and shook it to emulsify. Adding just a little sesame oil gives a really nice flavor too! Leave a comment below or take a photo and tag me on Instagram or Twitter with #foodiecrusheats. I think there's a lot of comfort in making and eating a long-time family recipe. Refrigerate the coleslaw for about an hour before serving for the flavors to meld. when you freeze it, should the coleslaw be dressed with the dressing prior to freezing? Apple cider vinegar is definitely magical! Tag. This vinegar coleslaw recipe is so quick and easy to make it’s the perfect side dish for a summer BBQ. Easy and delicious! This coleslaw recipe (our way of preparing it) is ridiculously easy with cabbage, carrot, and onions gently mixed and coated with mayonnaise, a dab of yellow mustard (which by the way is just Dijon mustard with some added turmeric), vinegar… Nowadays I much prefer a vinegar based coleslaw over one with mayo. Thanks for the mayo free recipe! Delicious, and I didn’t even have the exact ingredients. Coleslaw Without Mayo. Because of its neutral flavor, canola oil is best in this dressing recipe. Delicious and easy. For a healthier version with no mayo, make this Cole slaw with a Creamy Yogurt Coleslaw Dressing (it’s so good!) It’s very promising. Assemble: Add the cabbage and carrots in a very large mixing bowl, the larger the better.Pour the dressing all over the cabbage, and toss well to combine. I make it EXACTLY as the recipe shows, except, I use Half ‘n Half vice whole milk. Delicious! Sounds delicious with corn and asparagus :). Zippy tasteing that went great with slow cooked pork! :). :). It’s quick and easy to make this vinegar coleslaw recipe, but it always helps to watch a step-by-step video tutorial. I didn’t have celery seed so left it out, and substituted spicy mustard and white vinegar (didn’t have the apple cider or dijon) and it was still good. DIRECTIONS. 5 mins prep and so tasty and easy! Thank you! Thank you for the recipe!! :). I might even share it with my hubby LOL! So glad you liked it Mike, and yes, it’s perfect for hot weather temps! And yes, you can always add a little sweetener or tweak the Dijon. This vinegar based coleslaw is tangy, not overly sweet and provides the perfect crunch with its combination of green cabbage, onion and carrots. This turned out delicious! At first glance this will seem like a large amount of cabbage and veg, but because cabbage shrinks in the dressing as it sits, 10 cups compacts to about 6 cups within an hour’s time. Due to her not being able to eat sugar, I substituted a grated organic apple that she is allowed.Â, Glad this coleslaw recipe was a success! As always, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper finish off the job. It’s why … But I also love this vinegar coleslaw that’s got a stronger bite of flavor (thanks to the apple cider vinegar). I'll definitely have to try it soon. Classic recipes like Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad, timeless Egg Salad and of course homemade coleslaw … I believe that the vinegar based last longer in the refrigerator. There are affiliate links in this post of which I receive a small commission. Thes rest of the dressing are measured to taste, depending on how "spicy" you like it. This crunchy vegetable is also high in Vitamin K. Just one cup of cabbage is 85% of your recommended daily intake of Vitamin K, which is essential to help with blood clotting. And when you try this healthy, vinegar coleslaw recipe made with apple cider vinegar and sweetened with just a bit of sugar, you’ll believe it with each and every forked bite. No Mayo Coleslaw . No mayo! I ate the leftovers for breakfast the next morning. But sometimes I’m more in the mood for a lighter zesty bite than a creamy one. I love coleslaw and this recipe sounds amazing! OR try the RecipeTin No Mayo Coleslaw. This coleslaw’s tangy dressing lightens bbq sauced slow cooker pulled pork sandwiches and is the crunchy compliment to classic potluck salads like my mom’s recipe for the best potato salad or the classic macaroni salad. The sweet, tangy … Yay, I’m happy you loved the coleslaw recipe Elizabeth! I have made it many times and every time both husband and I rave. Normally, my go to vinegar slaw is to go to one of my local barbecue restaurants. In this healthy, paleo coleslaw recipe we’re skipping the mayo entirely and tossing all of the gorgeous veggies with a tangy, slightly sweet dressing made with apple cider vinegar and simple ingredients to keep the coleslaw vegan and dairy free. Serve vinegar coleslaw as a side dish with pretty much anything. Happy to hear you loved this coleslaw recipe! The secret to KFC Coleslaw recipe: I did a little bit of research and in no time I was whipping up the famous KFC copycat in my own kitchen. Made this tonight to go on top of BBQ beef sandwiches.  I made this tonight to go with pulled pork sandwichs and the three of us ate a pound of slaw mix together, even my daughter who usually leaves it on her plate. by Lisa Bryan — May 25, 2019 I’m also in love with your website.  Â. Hi Joe – I love the additional dates in yours! If this is a question you often ask, take our brief quiz and we’ll share a recommended recipe favorite with you. I like my veggies in coleslaw crunchy and finely sliced so they meld together and have an equal presence in each bite. Excellent recipe!!! I’m a recipe developer, food blogger, YouTuber and massive wanderluster (getting food inspiration from around the world!). Or, use one of my favorite kitchen gadgets, this handheld mandoline with an adjustable blade to cut and shred both consistently whisper thin without any effort at all. Need I say more? Prep Time 10 mins Total Time 10 mins Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. In this coleslaw recipe, in order to get the consistency of mayo (and use it in place of it), you need that nice and thick kind of yogurt to achieve a similar result. I have reduced the mustard because I am afraid of spicy, people will not eat. This is “THE” recipe to have for coleslaw! I did too!  I used packaged tricolor slaw mix and added some julienned red pepper and green onions for color. You will find serving suggestion ideas and more tips in the post above this recipe … So do what I do and alternate them for a little variety! Can I freeze it? Here’s what’s in this oil and vinegar based coleslaw recipe: There’s a lot of dairy and sugar in store-bought coleslaw and restaurant versions. It features a lightened-up Greek yogurt coleslaw … I followed it exactly but on a one pound store-bought cabbage/carrot slaw bag. I’m so happy you all enjoyed it Chris! Your email address will not be published. Happy to hear you enjoyed this recipe Mary :), My wife loved it! :). Your email address will not be published. I didn’t have celery seed but I had celery salt and I added that in at the same measurements and it still tasted great . This coleslaw rocks. In other words, eat more cabbage and other veggies! I did not have any celery seed on hand, so I just used the mustard, vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper and it was great. Categories: dinner, family friendly, healthy, lunch, recipes, salads and sides, seasonal : fall, seasonal : spring, seasonal : summer, vegetables and fruits Tags: cabbage, coleslaw, potluck, salads, vinegar. This was a really great recipe. Sometimes I add fresh minced onion if I am in the mood to chop it up. Hi Annie – I’m happy you loved the recipe! Loved the recipe! Learn how to make coleslaw two ways! Enjoy, Mary! Hi Lisa, I used your vinegar slaw for our Memorial Day gathering. I ate sooo much of this! Sweet Vinegar Coleslaw is a sweet and tangy non-mayo based coleslaw that makes a great addition to any bbq or picnic. Put the chopped cabbage, carrot and onion into a big bowl. This is just the recipe I need. I don’t know why I don’t make coleslaw more often. This easy coleslaw dressing recipe is a … This reminded me of that. Ingredients. Yes, we all know someone who doesn’t want mayo on their coleslaw ;). A Carolina-style slaw is made with vinegar dressing, a tasty alternative to coleslaw with mayonnaise dressing. Easy ColeSlaw Recipes: KFC Cole Slaw: Made with milk, buttermilk, lemon juice chopped cabbage, onion and carrots, this is the perfect KFC copycat. Everybody loves how crunchy, creamy ,sweet and tangy it is. It’s gluten free and vegan, which means it’s a perfect potluck dish (you might want to double the ingredients if you’re serving a crowd). Perfect time for summer. Why this recipe … Bright and robust this can be made ahead and easily transported to picnics and pot lucks. Best of all it comes together in a snap. Tony Roma’s Cole Slaw: This recipe is the perfect higher end recipe … Hubby and I were very happy with the coleslaw!!! Made this last weekend. Taste the dressing and decide if you'd like to add more honey. It’s always great to have options and you really can’t go wrong with either recipe. Opposites do attract. As for the serving size, one serving is about 1 cup! This would help me pick the correct size cabbage at the market and help with my efforts with portion control. Since it isn’t mayo based, you don’t have to worry as much about it spoiling on a warm day. Loved the honey in it. This healthy coleslaw with a sweet vinegar coleslaw dressing is a no-mayo alternative to the classic coleslaw version, covering all the potluck salad bases. When you combine rich, smoked pork shoulder with this crunchy, tangy, chopped slaw, you’re practically in BBQ heaven. This coleslaw was delicious and super easy to make. Hi! Hi Maureen – I’m so glad you loved this recipe! We generally don't measure. I bought the pre-made cabbage mix already in the store and it worked perfectly. We love serving creamy coleslaw with pulled pork sandwiches, or as a side dish for barbecue days full of burgers, pork chops, and other favorites!. :). I’m happy you loved the recipe Deena! I call it, “Don’t Kill Your Friends Cole Slaw. This cabbage slaw includes a handful of basic ingredients. Instead, it is packed with fresh, lively flavors that wake up anything you serve with it. Hi Ted – Yes! No Mayo Coleslaw, No Mayonnaise Coleslaw, Vinegar Based Coleslaw Recipe, Vinegar Coleslaw, Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Making the dressing for a vinegar coleslaw is very super easy. Apple cider vinegar … This Coleslaw recipe is one I’ve been making pretty much forever. I have a classic KFC Coleslaw copycat on the site as well, and if you are into creamy, tangy coleslaw … This no mayo coleslaw is the perfect addition for your summer barbecues or family gatherings! Coleslaw with a vinegar base is popular in the Carolinas, and for good reason: this coleslaw tastes amazing with smoked pulled pork. After years of searching, my coleslaw search is over. But for a healthy spin that’s little lighter and fresher, here’s another delicious coleslaw recipe for you. Voted up! I love the sound of all those spices in the dressing :). Great to hear you love this coleslaw version! One of the things I love about coleslaw recipes are how easy they are to whip up. This recipe makes approximately 12 cups of vinegar coleslaw. The version I’m sharing today is a pretty classic recipe seasoned with a simple 6-ingredient vinegar based dressing. Finish with salt & pepper to taste. Shred cabbage into a large bowl; add carrot and onion. Would you please provide the weight of the cabbage head and the serving size for the 12 serving yield stated in the recipe? Method. A creamy coleslaw with lots of flavor. Can this be mixed together a day or two ahead or will it become too soggy? It’s the same one all of the women making fresh Vietnamese noodle salads used, so of course I had to have it. Hi Lisa, Wonderful! I happen to like the “no mayo” version of coleslaw. This coleslaw looks so flavorful and delicious! Glad this coleslaw was a winning recipe with your pulled pork sandwiches :). :), I just made this (cheaters way with pre shredded cabbage) and it is fantastic! Absolutely perfect! It’s so easy to make and refreshing :) Glad you loved this one! Everything else is the same, except onions are optional. Just healthy coleslaw goodness and I agree, top it on everything! We’ve made this three times and havent had any leftovers yet. I’ve also limited the honey to one tablespoon for this big batch of coleslaw. Gently crush the celery seeds between your fingers before adding to the dressing to release the oils and bring out the flavor. Audrey Howitt from California on April 14, 2014: Oh yum! Making coleslaw from scratch is pretty easy, too. Coleslaw is such a classic side dish to make, and there are as many coleslaw recipes as there are people. I also added some chopped red pepper. I added shredded carrot and onion. Suffused with vinegar tang, this coleslaw has nothing to do with those soupy, mayo … Dutch in origin and popular in England, this basic shredded cabbage salad is called “cole”slaw, not “cold”slaw, and has so much flavor it’s not really that basic at all. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Coleslaw Without Mayo. Recipe … You’re welcome to tweak it to your liking though. Vinegar Coleslaw is a healthy coleslaw recipe using a no mayo coleslaw dressing including vinegar, oil and salt and pepper. A creamy mayo-based classic coleslaw is always a hit, but if you’re looking for an equally flavorful, yet lighter option, then give this vinegar-based version a try! I ALWAYS use an oil and vinegar dressing for slaw. I love a classic Coleslaw recipe with a creamy, mayo dressing. We send good emails. Try making it with just the vinegar… This no mayo coleslaw is the perfect addition for your summer barbecues or family gatherings! No Mayo Coleslaw is a super healthy, flavorful, and colorful side dish that is both crunchy and delicious.  Thank you for a great recipe!!! My mom’s Sweet Onion & Vinegar Coleslaw Dressing is fresh, bright, and tangy.No mayo here! Hi Melissa- Happy to hear everyone enjoyed this vinegar coleslaw recipe :), Delicious! Combine all ingredients in medium bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Required fields are marked *. it’s 3/4 cup mayo, 1/4 – 1/3 cup honey and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 bag of coleslaw mix – sometimes I add a … I’m Heidi and I cook real good, real food I hope you’ll love to make, too. Wonderful!  I added about 8 dates (chopped) for some chewy texture and sweetness. In turn, Vitamin C has been linked to lowering high blood pressure and boosting your immunity (and you know I’m all about boosting the immune system). If you make this recipe, please let me know! Combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, and celery seed in a bowl or jar and whisk or shake. Craving more life balance, less stress, and better health? So glad to hear that you and your husband enjoy this recipe Pati :). Both are a natural preservative. Two seasonings to be sure are included in this vinegar-based coleslaw are caraway seeds and celery seeds. Its a lot like sauerkraut. Thanks so much Sandy! Subscribe to FoodieCrush and have each post plus exclusive content only for our subscribers delivered straight to your e-mail box. This delicious recipe cooks a sweet and tangy dressing with seasonings then pours it … If I had apple cider on hand, I might add a splash, and cut back slightly on apple cider vinegar, but I also love it as is. The celery seed adds that necessary little punch of flavor, doesn’t it? It was delicious! Don’t care for the mayo slaws so glad for this recipe! Pour over the cabbage mixture and toss. This healthy coleslaw with a sweet vinegar coleslaw dressing is a no-mayo alternative to the classic coleslaw version, covering all the potluck salad bases. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour for flavors to blend. Great cole slaw. The great thing about this sweet vinegar coleslaw recipe is that is lasts for up to a month in the refrigerator. We have homemade coleslaw at least once a week, usually with fish, and often with burgers or hot dogs. 101 Comments. Unlike some of the more traditional or popular recipes for coleslaw, we skip the addition of sugar to our coleslaw … This vibrant, colourful easy to make no mayo coleslaw is the perfect lighter slaw. Try serving it … I love that the veggies will stay crisp too with this vinegar dressing. This vinegar coleslaw is a great healthy alternative to a classic BBQ side dish. Added fresh corn and topped with grilled asparagus  LOVE that there is no mayo as well! It doesn’t get watered down as some of the mayo based can get. A Classic Side. I think it is my very favorite coleslaw recipe. This is bbq party perfect. Since more than 80% of my audience is from North America, making a distinction in calling it a “Greek Yogurt Coleslaw” is necessary for people to get great results. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, olive oil, celery seed, salt and pepper to create the dressing. We paired it with pulled pork. An easy, creamy coleslaw recipe + a vinegar based coleslaw (no mayo coleslaw). This healthy coleslaw recipe tastes amazing!