However, Grado’s insistence on utilitarian design means these aren’t the most comfortable, and you don’t even get a jack adapter in the box. The most immediate impression is how even they sound. They’re not real leather and the earpieces themselves are built like the proverbial stops them sitting hard on your head but also stops them flying off your Well, the frequency range of the two sets tells something of the story. Thanks for your impressions. In principle it’s a philosophy we admire, though we must admit to Source, Yamaha DVD-S 2700,Technics SL-1200Mk2 TT/Ortofon 2M Black. Grado Authentic Headphone Replacement Cushion G (GS1000/2000 & PS1000) 4.5 out of 5 stars 586. While this use of wood continues to the outside in the GS models, here Grado partners it with a ring made of smoked chrome. Compared to Sennheiser's and audio-technica's finest HD800 and W5000 flagships respectively; and considering the PS1000 sticker which trumps the HD800s and nearly doubles the current street price on the Japanese; I'm forced to say that Grado… This is how we make money. Which has a harder hitting bass or impact? ultra high purity long crystal (UHPLC) copper for maximum signal purity. The Grado PS500e, like just about every other Grado headphone, comes with some bare-bones packaging and a minimum of accessories. JavaScript is disabled. In fact, I would rather sleep with a Grado headphone than my blankie. The PS 500e has a completely open on-ear design and some of the best sound quality … With these you can listen for hours… well, if the overall fit is to your liking. The majority of As someone who occasionnally listen to my PS-1000 straight from the headphone output of a Vintage Yamaha integrated amp,i'll tell you that Grado heaphones can sound very good out of almost anything,that beeing said,they can sound even better out of a dedicated amp,in the case of the PS-500 … The Grado PS1000 has a standard design with a leather clad headband. out house. It’s mesmerising stuff. Highs, mids and bass are all delivered with the same detail and clout so it’s just down to the track to make the sonic decisions. noggin from the slightest movement – in comparison the 500g PS1000 are They are open back reference style headphones that offer the listener a flat response … sit back from your source, on a sofa or such like. Incidentally, you get nothing else in the comically basic box – again, highly prone to taking a tumble. If you’re a professional shopping for open-air headphones, the PS1000e … Listen carefully and you’ll pick out different guitar layers, the squeak of a drummer’s stool, or the shift in timbre as a french horn player cycles their circular breathing. Nice graph, what you get in bass is what you loose in treble. Nevertheless, the they do rely almost completely on their sound quality to win hearts and thankfully it’s here that they deliver. ... Grado PS500. The entire e-series line of Grado headphones are very similar, but both the GS1000e and PS500e are the two that stood out as being slightly better than the rest as far as sound goes. representation of your music. attractive but here the point is proved with gusto. Even the company’s brand new wireless offerings, the GW100s, follow the same principle. Agree... the PS500's have a much more dominant bass and mid-bass, than the RS1's. Next. They’re not a versatile set, with a chunky open-back design, but you can at least drive them using a normal mp3 player, and for their price they offer among the best sonic experiences available. We were cautioned by Grado’s PR that we may be unimpressed at this very fact, as there’s no ‘wow’ factor from a fat bottom end or forced mid-range, but he couldn’t have been more wrong. $499.00. We don’t overly mind the essentially non-existent padding The skimpy headband The Grado RS-1i headphones ($695) have been our reference for years, so we know their sound well. But, can I ask you to go further into depth? Indeed this is precisely what makes them great for mastering, and is why these are from the ‘professional’ series. Grado really shot themselves in the foot, because the PS500 are almost as good as the PS1000's and they are definitely better than the top Fostex TH900's. lets the earcups rotate and slide freely on thick metal poles – indeed The former of these is closed-back, so something of a different kettle of fish, while the HiFiMan set are high-impedence so simply won’t cut it being driven from an mp3 player, though otherwise they are excellent and arguably a better choice if most of your listening is classical. There’s no forced bass, no shrillness to treble and no over-egged mid-range warmth. I listen to mostly punk rock and hardcore screaming music. The headband looks rather thin and holds the earpieces in place with steel rods. N/A: User rating Popping the headphones on my head, they sit much like any other Grado … no outside noise and what you’re listening to is leaked to the outside A l'instar de ce dernier, le Grado PS500 bénéficie d'un élégant design rétro, mais … vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT. Categories. the headphones’ structure is metal aside from the plastic parts that Their open-back design means they block almost You pick which one you prefer. From my experience with SR60s, I know I'd be happy with either model, but this makes the tradeoffs a bit more clear. You may at this point be wondering just what’s missing compared to the likes of the three times more expensive PS1000. The Grado PS500e is an ingenious take-off from the PS1000 full size headphone made more compact and affordable. Which headphone is punchier? desire considering the low 32ohm impendence of these phones. While they have great mids, and detailed clear highs, with a big soundstage... the RS1's may have a bit more separation and clarity... and... they have a bit more treble emphasis, and seem to have a bit more separation of instruments, etc. Perhaps the biggest benefit of this flat sound is that the top-end doesn’t feel forced, and thus doesn’t become fatiguing. These include the Audio-Technica ATH W1000x and HiFiMan HE-5LE. The PS1000’s also have a more present mid-range with an increased amount of fullness. the box, unlike with the PS1000, which is an annoyance for those wanting While … Both the to use these headphones with an mp3 player – a perfectly sensible These haedphones have a sound quality that will make full size speakers … You must log in or register to reply here. How do lower quality mp3s sound on them? effort as possible into making the product sound good rather than look on the leather wrapped headband or the simple adjustment mechanism that these are both thick and feel strong. Superb sound across the board -- high's, low's, … are compromised slightly by many of us wearing glasses, but regularly after an hour or so’s listening we’d be pretty uncomfortable. anything extraneous or fancy in favour of putting as much money and works to almost eliminate transient distortions, resulting in a truer The old clichés of being able to hear the scrape of the pick on a guitar string, the creak of the sustain pedal on a piano or the subtleties of a singer taking in a breath are far surpassed by what’s on offer here. Their over-ear design allows the earpieces to be held just that bit further away from the ear, opening up the soundscape even further, in all directions. an argument for saying that few over-ear headphones look genuinely we’ve encountered many a more comfortable pair. That open-back design gives a sense that the sound is filling out the room around you so you can pick out instruments as though you were there. Available colors: Editiorial reviews: 4.3 / 5. Grado GS1000e vs Grado PS1000e. Also both are more comfortable than the PS500. It’s not a … So far, then, the Grado PS500 haven’t exactly excelled, though it’s worth noting that few of our complaints are truly problematic for using these headphones in a dedicated home listening situation. All rights reserved. Grado still feels that wood is the best material for the business of housing a driver. I'm glad I got the RS1. What is the difference between Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and Grado PS500? Grado has long been criticised for using somewhat scratchy uncovered foam that’s The downside of the PS500’s open back design is you really ”need” to be in a quiet environment to get the most from these headphones. One exception is these ‘phones bigger brother, the PS1000. world, so they are completely unsuited for travel. The Grado PS1000 was the company’s original flagship headphone. and large earpieces combine to create a look that can only be considered 3 editorial reviews. Head-Fi is littered with threads about Grado's GS1000 and PS1000, but two of the best are the GS1000 Appreciation Thread, and Zanth's GS1000 review. 3 editorial reviews. Good point. The combination What makes this largely forgivable is that these are meant purely as a In this case, the only accessory is a 1/4″ stereo adapter plug. Frequency Response. But I still have a question regarding if i need to get an amplifier for my new headphones. Admittedly there’s Grado PS500e Shop now at Amazon. vs. Grado PS1000. It’s almost difficult to know where to begin when it comes to talking about the detail these headphones can reveal. vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. The GS1000 sports an 8 – 35kHz, while the PS1000 has a 5 – 50kHz response. There are plenty at around the £200-£400 mark and at £800 (Sennheiser HD800 for instance) but there are only a couple of sets at £650ish. …, Competitvely priced for their sound quality, Open-back design creates open, spacious sound. Grado PS1000e Shop now at Amazon.