If I had a good idea, he’d blurt out five to prove the point that he had more. Talk to a Friend. You helped a co-worker get acclimated to the office or with a difficult project and she won't stop knocking on your door. I once worked with someone who tried to out-do me on everything. She was displaced and she wants to show that she is valuable, should have a place in the company and is ready to pitch in to help. The manager said he thought she was being hypersensitive. I can imagine it’s frustrating to have your work slowly being nibbled away, especially when your bosses see the situation as one in which the coworker is being helpful not grabby.This shows the value of meeting and having a clear understanding about duties before someone is brought into the workplace. Stock Advisor launched in February of 2002. OfficeNinjas . As time went on she got other work to do and got over it. Try it like this, or adapt this: The moment you see her doing something that is in your area of work or when you see her starting to do it or if you find out she has done it, say directly but courteously what you are thinking.”Pat, I see you did some work on the roster entries. Then you just need to ask for their help to keep your work intact.I think you need to show your bosses how serious this seems to you, otherwise they’ll just keep shrugging it off because it really doesn’t have an affect on them. Best wishes to you! That might make it least uncomfortable the first time. Just broach that topic with the right person (your boss), and with the right attitude, so that you don't end up looking bad in the process. In addition, my boss has relinquished certain other responsibilities to her, leaving the work load heavier for her and light for me. Is that the issue?”, Your boss will probably say no. Returns as of 02/24/2021. Fortunately, I transitioned into another role and report to a second boss, but I still share certain work-loads with this “grabby” employee. Probably, they are in a hurry to take the credit for an idea, or in the rush to prove their point. Some colleagues are noisy, some are lazy, some are enthusiastic. Consider sharing your best ideas by explaining them to groups instead of to one colleague. You’re in a meeting and a colleague, Kevin, claims credit for your work… again. You’ve asked your coworker not do do you work yet she continues to do it. Case 3: Your colleague tries to dump his workload on you. After spending a few weeks getting angrier and angrier, I began to think about why he w… In her somewhat limited spare time, she enjoys playing in nature, watching hockey, and curling up with a good book. You’re practically right next to each other, just talk. 4 Dividend Stocks to Supplement Your Social Security, Cathie Wood Couldn't Stop Buying These 3 Stocks for ARK Invest Last Week, This ETF Could Help Grow Any Retirement Nest Egg, Copyright, Trademark and Patent Information. Maurie Backman is a personal finance writer who's passionate about educating others. Ultimately, you have every right to say something if a colleague is constantly out of the office and you're the one having to take over his or her workload. Stanford psychologist shares 5 mental strategies for dealing with a toxic coworker Published Tue, Oct 24 2017 9:36 AM EDT Updated Tue, Oct … Take a direct approach, be civilized, and simply ask him to let you complete your statement. Apparently she hasn’t come to you to discuss the best way to allocate work in this awkward work situation, nor has she apologized for the appearance of overstepping. So, consider that as a diabolical response. But if the fact that your colleague is often out means you get stuck having to pick up his or her slack, it can certainly leave a bitter taste in your mouth. You get the picture. The coworker clearly was resentful and a bit sulky for several days. Since then, other incidents have come up where she does my job. This isn't an unreasonable thing to do, especially if it's clear that you're the go-to backup. Please help me make this stop.”He looked at her for a moment and said, “Wow, I didn’t realize it was that important to you. 3. At that point, staying silent becomes much more difficult. “Pat, you’ve been saying you want to help, but it just doesn’t work well for you to do parts of my work or all of it, when I don’t know about it. And yes, you might be really mad the first time someone asks you to take care of something, only to turn around and spend the entire afternoon schmoozing with people in the kitchen. However, you’ll want to make sure you’re on solid ground if you’re going to stand your ground!Start your response plan by talking to your primary boss and/or both bosses. At least by talking to her directly there is no question about your concern. History: this individual has worked for the company longer than me, but in a different department. Now You're A Boss: 6 Ways to Maintain a Good relationship with colleagues after promotion. If there is any chance of that, it’s something you need to be talking to them about.Maybe their plan is to not have a real division of labor and they’d just like for you and her to pitch in mutually. 5. Please don’t do any more entries or any other of my work, OK?” She’ll say again that she was just trying to help. A dominant colleague can be difficult to deal with, but there are ways to assert your own voice in meetings, while also respecting the strengths of this personality type. Whatever you do, speak directly and do it right at the time. “Jan, we’ve talked about Pat doing my work when I haven’t asked her to. Then, leave that for her to do unless things get desperate.It may be that there is nothing like that you can turn over. Have A Private Chat With The Coworker I’m not suggesting doing a Houdini as soon as they tell you their news, but once the excitement of the announcement has died down, take yourself out for quick coffee or a walk in the fresh air. So, I think she is encroaching and doing it for motives that aren’t noble. I have explained to my co-worker (via email) that if I need her help, I would ask. Experts say it’s important to communicate directly with the person, but to do so in a private conversation. Founded in 1993 by brothers Tom and David Gardner, The Motley Fool helps millions of people attain financial freedom through our website, podcasts, books, newspaper column, radio show, and premium investing services. It's a scenario you may encounter if you have a colleague who constantly seems to be out of the office, whether it's because he or she is reportedly ill, needs time to tend to a personal matter, or is somehow taking yet another vacation day. Dealing with a Colleague Who Dislikes You 1. So, let me say it again: I want to do my work myself. I figured you’d welcome the help.” She just stood silently. The fact that you're left taking over your absentee colleague's workload is actually your manager's fault, not your teammate's fault. 3. When you are dealing with difficult team members, it’s only through communication that you can move a step ahead and resolve the differences that lie in between you and your team member. Ask him to talk to the boss if he is unable to finish his task on his own. Prevent the next occurrence. Some workplaces are naturally more competitive than others. While each of these issues must still be addressed, it’s helpful to know whether your lazy coworker’s approach is intentional or … She is a tad older than myself, and I am beginning to feel like I need to escalate this matter if she doesn’t stop-it. But what happens when a co-worker's behavior negatively affects your experience on the job? You can respond: “You may think you’re helping but it’s not helping me it’s upsetting me. If that isn’t their plan, so much the better. Be as direct as possible when communicating with your colleague. 3. Start with these four tactics: 1. That’s my work and I want to be the one to do it. Rather than wait for a dominant colleague to take over a project or head up a committee, bring your own ideas forward and offer to take on a project planning role… With some simple tactics and a shift in perspective, you can turn the tables on difficult colleagues and have more ease among your business relationships. I don’t think of it as helpful, I think of it as taking my work away, interrupting what I had planned and generally being disruptive. Plan Your Action. When she came to our department in the same role that I have, as a coordinator, she would assume different responsibilities (that I normally do) and then say “I was just trying to help”. ... 4 meetings per week x 77 weeks = 308 meetings This is 1,849 hours of meetings over 77 weeks This will take approx 5 minutes each meeting to set up, provided there are meeting rooms available for an … Of course, your colleague doesn't owe you that explanation -- that's between your co-worker and his or her boss. Help! On the other hand, if you're in an environment where competitiveness isn't part of the job description, its presence can seem foreign and unpleasant. Take a look at your work environment. Her style is inspirational with humor. While it’s super-frustrating to deal with a bossy coworker day in and day out, there are steps you can take to address the situation. Even invite others to add to and develop the ideas. Here's what to do if you're constantly pitching in for an absentee co-worker -- and rapidly losing your patience. Are you looking for an Executive Coach, Team Coach or CEO Coach? If I do something that you are normally assigned to do, I’ll do the same thing.”You might hate it and resent it, but at least you are taking the lead on it rather than having it done TO you. For instance, if you're in sales and marketing, you'll be surrounded by people who are competitive by design. Try to work through what this means logically – it’s not the end of the world. Milwaukee based, Joan Lloyd & Associates provide Executive Coaching, Team Coaching and CEO Coaching. Explain to your manager that while you're happy to pitch in on occasion, you feel you've been doing it far too frequently for comfort lately. Have a talk with them and let them know how you feel. The first is to actually go against their ideas, so be prepared to fight fire with fire. So, from now on, why don’t you do the roster entries and the mailing if you see they need to be done? It will ultimately make you look bad and you don’t need that. Nevertheless, you don’t want to come across as possessive of your work to the point of being petulant either. But, if you were taking care of things on time, doing work correctly and getting along with people very well, then you can justify asking to keep things the way they were, from the viewpoint of your job assignments. We offer customized, cost effective coaching with measurable results. She provides training to law enforcement organizations and private sector groups and does conference presentations related to leadership, workplace communications and customized topics. The thing you don’t want to have happen–which is why you need to escalate appropriately and handle it now–is to end up with a simmering feud going all the time. How can I fix this? You can always go to an authority for help. I don’t want you to do it unless I ask for your help, so please, Pat, don’t do it.” If she does something else, ask her to go with you to the boss and talk about it, so you both can be clear about work allocation. What at first I thought was healthy competition became increasingly absurd. It will be a bit uncomfortable, but once you start the conversation you will have to keep going, so just jump in.The easiest way to do it is to make the next time the first time, rather than making it the last straw. Try to talk reasonably and hold your temper, but let the person know that you will take the issue to a superior if the actions continue. I hope you have a good enough relationship with your bosses that they would tell you if they think you need to improve. So, what about this? History: this individual has worked for the company longer than me, but in a different department. In the future if you do something that is usually assigned to me, just tell me before you do it so I can know it’s something I don’t have to plan on doing. Cumulative Growth of a $10,000 Investment in Stock Advisor, How to Deal With a Co-Worker Who Takes Too Much Time Off @themotleyfool #stocks, 3 Dividend ETFs That Could Make You a Millionaire. That isn’t what she’s after, so she’ll be put in a position of having to admit she doesn’t really want to help, she just wants to pick and choose. A little unbiased opinion is never harmful, so talking over your coworker situation with a friend can be a good idea. [1] X Research source Your bosses may already think that is the case, so if you talk to them you will want to show why you should continue your work and why she should not do it unless you ask for help.I think you’re correct that something more substantial needs to be done in order to prevent a contentious situation and to help you work without this as a distraction. For the latter situation, that could mean biting your tongue when your colleague insists on completing a project in a manner you feel is ineffective, or keeping quiet about the fact that his or her workspace is so cluttered you can barely tell there's a desk underneath. If you have the time and wish to do so, let us know what you do (even if it’s not any of this) and what happens. The employee talked to the coworker and told her she had talked to Ed and wanted to get the work allocation cleared up once and for all. If you find the other person just keeps talking over you, pause and say you’d like to finish. He said, “OK then, I’ll stop telling her to help you unless you ask for it and if you need me to talk to her I’ll do it, but I still think you should welcome the help.” She didn’t respond to that, just thanked him for his support. Take a break to collect your thoughts. If I mentioned I was going to arrive at the office at 9 AM, he’d come at 8:59 AM to show that he was more dedicated. Raising your voice, pointing your finger, or speaking disrespectfully to the other person will add fuel to an already heated situation. Document them in memos and emails. That will free me up for other things and really will be helpful.”. The second is to convince them that your ideas are actually theirs – this means you’ll likely lose credit for your work but will be able to work in a way that suits you. I have spoken to my boss(es) but, they think that she is just being helpful. Be certain that your coworker has not been asked by your boss to do work that he or she thinks the coworker does better than you. I feel her intent is to “do it all” leaving me with little to do. So, Ed, I’m serious about this and it’s important to me. Focus on your reputation and avoid trying to compete with your coworker, recommends career website Glassdoor. Get some control by creating boundaries and changing the way you interact with the person. Solution: There are two main ways you can deal with a know-it-all. She claims that she is just “helping out” but I think she is trying to take over. Passive-aggressive behavior can take many forms in the office. I’m perpetually distracted and frustrated by Lynn taking my projects, calling my clients and doing things I want to coordinate on my own. So, you might want to consider that kind of frank conversation with your bosses, if you haven’t already done so.You will also need to communicate with your coworker directly, rather than by email, which comes across more hostile. Now, having said all of that, it might be wise for you to decide what you will do if your managers won’t support you and tell you essentially to get over it.If that happens, still take the leadership approach. Use a low, calm, even monotone voice. Not only have they left you out of the conversation but they’ve potentially made you look bad. Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about coworker doing tasks not assigned: I have a coworker who is regularly oversteps boundaries and does my job/work. However, don’t get a “dog in the manger” attitude, as the fable says, where you resent her doing something that you don’t even care about, but you simply don’t want HER to do it. Question to Ask the Workplace Doctors about coworker doing tasks not assigned: I have a coworker who is regularly oversteps boundaries and does my job/work. That’s understandable. Ultimately, you have every right to say something if a colleague is constantly out of the office and you're the one having to take over his or her workload. 2. If a colleague interrupts you or talks over you in an effort to contradict your point or insert his own opinion, gently remind him that you still have the floor. That’s why I think you should take a leadership role in this and show that you know how to stand your ground without being petty about it.The least confrontational way would be to find one or two things you don’t care about giving up and give them to her. Her previous department phased out her job-so now she works with me. Step 1: Immediately set the record straight Let’s say it happens again. She claims that she is just “helping out” but I think she is trying to take over. Her goal is to make financial topics interesting (because they often aren't) and she believes that a healthy dose of sarcasm never hurt anyone. If you think I’m not doing a good job and you want her to do it instead, I’d like for us to talk about that. Minding your own business is a good habit to uphold in life, and at work. I’d like to ask you to support me by not encouraging her to do my work and by telling her to ask me first before she gets involved with anything of mine.”. A colleague going out of their way to fight you can be very disconcerting. You can bet others are aware of this so you can build considerable positive thoughts by handling it in a way that keeps the focus on getting the work done the best way possible. Don’t doubt yourself or take it personally. 4. Deal with It. A bossy coworker can make work life unpleasant and even difficult if they insist on taking the reins of everything you're responsible for. Could a $15 Minimum Wage Save Social Security? Hold Your Ground. Of course, if that co-worker's frequent absences don't affect you, then there's nothing to say. 4 Approaches to Take When You Need to Deal with a Difficult Co-Worker. The next time he might take a more professional approach that opens up positive dialogue. One reader said her co-worker is socially awkward, cackles constantly, and loudly blows her nose like “a horrific, nonstop symphony.” The reader was so irritated that she started ignoring the sniffler, refusing to say hi while passing her in the hallway, which made things worse.