Whatever you do, don’t try pulling it straight out of the pot! And, if you don’t have one of these lovely plants in your life, what are you even doing? Use both hands and try to pry the bottom of the rootball gently apart a little bit. Sign up for our free Ultimate Monstera Webinar. These plants are hardy, and if the roots are absorbing water or if it’s bursting from the pot, you’re better off repotting without delay. Usually, when deciding whether to repot the plant or not, gardeners just take a look at the roots. After that, wash and disinfect the remaining parts, repot, and place the pot where the monstera can receive bright, indirect sunlight. If you want to restrict the growth of you plant, you can root prune or top dress instead of going up in pot sizes. If you’d like a moss pole for your monstera to climb, shop online (. Our trusted partners at Houseplantshop.com grow high-quality plants here in California and ship directly to you. Monstera leaves are mildly toxic to pets and humans. There are always exceptions to the rule, of course. When Monstera deliciosa outgrows its current pot (about every two years), transplant to a new pot a few inches larger in diameter and depth than the old one. Repotting is a reality of plant parenthood. pre-repotting. Root pruning involves keeping the plant in its current pot, but trimming the roots and replanting. You should move your monstera to a pot 2″ larger than the current one. However, monsteras can be especially tricky to repot because they’re climbing plants without a nice solid trunk, and they may also include a moss pole. Here’s how to repot your monstera when the time comes, even if your monstera is huge or climbing up a moss pole. At some point, you will have to move your plant to a bigger pot. Also known as the Repotting can also be a good way to combat diseases like fungal, You don’t want to go too big here, because a pot that’s way larger than your roots can hold more water than the plant can use, which can lead to over-watering and, Regular indoor potting mix works well, but I recommend our, If you’re transplanting the monstera with its old moss pole, carefully place the roots and pole into the pot. Don’t be nervous! Keep out of direct sunlight except perhaps in winter (with caution). Click to join our community on Facebook: Monstera Plant Resource Group. We love Monstera deliciosa sometimes called the Swiss Cheese Plant, but we love talking about the other types of Monstera too, including Monstera adansonii (Monkey Mask), epipremnoides and the super-rare obliqua! The first thing you want to do is get your monstera out of the wet, nasty soil. Top dressing means removing the top inch or so and adding a fresh layer of soil to the top of your pot. Once you place your monstera in the soil, start filling the rest of the pot with soil. Then repot the plant into fresh soil in a clean pot with good drainage. Not just any old vine though. Some indoor gardeners even use eyehooks or plant hooks in the ceiling as the cheese plant matures. Don’t be shy but don’t yank on them either. You don’t want to go too big here, because a pot that’s way larger than your roots can hold more water than the plant can use, which can lead to over-watering and root rot. It should be fairly dense, but not super packed. This will just have to be estimated. You want it deep enough to accommodate a sturdy moss pole, whether your plant already has one or if you plant to add one in the future. This wouldn’t be a good idea for the first week or two of trying to revive the plant as this may cause some shock so it is better to leave your Monstera for about two weeks of good care in an ideal light environment before repotting. Add new layers of the mix until your pot is almost full. If necessary, a third person can support the top part of the plant during the procedure. Be sure to use a well-draining soil such as our. Since these plants prefer to be pot-bound, it’s a good idea to repot only every two to three years. A general rule of thumb is to go up 1-2″ in diameter when you’re repotting and no more than that. If your monstera has a moss pole and is well-attached, hang onto the pole as you remove the plant from the pot. Monstera can be grown in light shade, or in bright filtered light. To resolve this, water well, place in a well lit position and consider repotting in water rather than soil. Monstera roots hate having too much water. Add filtered water until water comes out into the drainage holes. If you’re transplanting the monstera with its old moss pole, carefully place the roots and pole into the pot. This plant is a slow grower, so it will probably pass a few months before it needs repotting. Early spring is the best time to repot. After removing as much soil as possible, turn the pot on its side and put your hand into the soil as far as you can to “scoop” the plant out as close to the bottom as possible. Young Monstera plants grow rapidly, so they require more care. Sometimes it helps to hold the plant over the new pot, firmly stake the pole into the pot, then gently lower the roots down. If your monstera is very large, you might want to recruit a friend (or even two) to help you. But it’s important to completely change out the soil every once in a while, and repotting is your chance to do this. Break up the soil and pull away as much as possible while detangling the roots as much as you can. How to Repot a Monstera Step 1: Choose the best time. Ashley Hubbard is a blogger and freelance writer based in Nashville, Tennessee focusing on sustainability, travel, books, plants, coffee, veganism, mental health, and more. The best time to repot plants is during the spring because this is when active growth begins. The other “when” factor has to do with the plant’s size. Repotting can cause shock, leaf drop, and can be really tricky for bigger plants. Monstera can get root bound as their roots grow densely and quickly. read our Ultimate Monstera Watering Guide here. If you are impatient and don’t want to spend too much time, you can simply just cut a vine and place it in water. When it feels dry, give it a drink. Once it’s somewhat supported, you can place your supporting rods (moss stick, bamboo rods, etc). Early spring is the best time to repot. How to Transplant a Monstera Philodendron. Monstera Plant Food is the original fertilizer created specifically for monstera plants to help support healthy growth, dark green leaves, and protection against disease. And, I documented the experience for you. You’ll want to choose a … To water from the bottom, half fill a basin with water and stand your plant in it for 10-20 minutes. The soil might sink a little, so go ahead and add more potting mix if necessary. Scoop out as much of the existing soil as possible so you can pull the monstera out more easily. But, I did it! If you want to restrict the growth of your plant, you can root prune or top dress instead of going up in pot sizes. If you’re thinking that your plant needs repotting, try taking the rootball out and checking if roots are circling at the edge of the soil. Continue filling with soil until the roots are completely covered. Make sure your new pot has plenty of drainage as well. If watering from the top, the dehydrated potting medium will sometimes let most of the water run straight through without being absorbed by the soil. Plants can use up the nutrients in their potting soil within a few months. Start by selecting a pot that’s only slightly larger in diameter than your old one, but several inches deeper. Misting is not the same as watering, so make sure you check on the compost around the roots of the plant. ). Once your monstera is in a container with a diameter of eight inches or larger, top-dress with fresh potting soil rather than repotting. Adding a Moss Pole to a Monstera While Repotting. Repot the plant every 3 years using a peat-based potting soil. Repotting Monstera Obliqua. They’re cat-friendly, easy to care for, and really pretty to look at. Luckily, monsteras don’t mind being a little root-bound and only need to be repotted every two years or so. Frequently Asked Questions about Monstera Deliciosa Soil . If you’re adding a new moss pole, you can stick it in the soil at this stage. My monstera family. First things first, when should you repot a monstera? I just use a regular indoor potting soil which is fine, but I’ve seen people use other kinds as well. For more on proper watering, read our Ultimate Monstera Watering Guide here. To remove your monstera from the pot, turn the pot over and gently coax the plant out. If it doesn’t want to budge, try jiggling the pot a little, but don’t pull on the plant. Here’s how to repot a monstera deliciosa! Fill in the gaps around the roots with more potting soil. . Make sure to punch out the drainage holes. The other “when” factor has to do with the plant’s size. I filled mine 1/3 way and placed my monstera in there and it wasn’t quite enough. So, if you’ve been wondering how to repot a monstera, wonder no more. Mama Monstera, my original plant, is so large she can’t be moved for pictures however here is a picture of all her babies in various stages of propagation from juniors, to babies, to fresh cuttings. She has two other websites - wild-hearted.com and odditiesandcuriositiestravel.com. Easily my favorite plant in my house! It has a tough and extensive root system that appreciates room to grow. Repot into fresh soil Another way to help revive your Monstera and return it to full health is to repot it into fresh soil. If you are repotting your plant, start by removing the potting mix around the roots, checking to see if any are dried/shrivelled + cut these off. Scrape off old soil from the root ball. Just put it back in its spot with lots of bright, indirect sunlight, and hold off on the fertilizer for about 4 weeks. Are Herbs Safe for Cats? I love monsteras and writing, so I created this site to combine my two passions. Repotting your Monstera with a moss pole provides support for it to climb as it grows. If your Monstera is big enough to need a support, such as a moss pole, the replanting process is mostly the same, just with one added step. If you’ve added a new stake, arrange the plant around the stake. So come and join the discussion, share your tips, knowledge and pics! Fill it up 1/3-1/2 way with new soil. They prefer a soil mix with a slightly acidic pH, in the range of 5.5-6.5. Your monstera might actually be made up of a few smaller plants so if this is the case, separate + arrange around the coir pole in the pot. Monstera (Monstera deliciosa) is … Top dressing means removing the top inch or so and adding a fresh layer of soil to the top of your pot. Learn about repotting Monstera deliciosa, including the mix to use, when to do it and steps to take. Plants are dormant in the winter which means you likely won’t see much new growth then. Despite their vigorous growth rate, Monsteras can smoothly go 2-3 years in the same pot. And remember- repotting Monstera means a huge monstera, so if you … REPOTTING. Hydrated roots are also more resilient and less likely to break as you remove the plant from its container. you see roots popping out all over the place, including the top of the pot and even out the drainage holes. (If your monstera does have root rot, treat with our Root Rot Treatment.). Looking to shop for plants online? Here's a List of the Most Common Herbs and If They're Safe or Toxic! For large plants, it works best if one person holds the pot while the other supports the roots as they come out. Read our Ultimate Monstera Watering Guide here. That’s a good way to break roots, stems, and leaves. You can follow these simple steps to repot your monstera plant successfully. Happy growing! Fill the pot about 1/4 – 1/3 of the way with potting mix. Repot your monstera at any time of year using all-purpose potting soil. Sometimes it helps to hold the plant over the, Fill in the gaps around the roots with more, Add filtered water until water comes out into the drainage holes. After that, every year or every 2 years and preferably preferably in spring, repot your monstera plant in a pot of a very slightly larger size. Table of Contents. My motto is “don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.” And, I was pretty happy with how my roots looked, the rate at which my monstera has grown (even in winter), and the fact that she always seems happy so I’m sticking to this. Monsteras can be a little hard to handle while you’re repotting, but with a plan and maybe an extra pair of hands, it’s really not much harder than repotting any plant. Aim to repot them every two years or so depending upon the growth of your monstera. Have a swiss cheese plant that needs to be repotted? Your monstera will probably hit a growth spurt during this time, so it should recover from repotting quickly. The support for cheese plant may need to be increased in size at each re-potting. Root pruning involves keeping the plant in it’s current pot, but trimming the roots and replanting. Move the plant to a work area or a sink. Typically, ingestion will cause mouth and stomach irritation and possible vomiting. Monsteras typically only need to be repotted every 1-2 years when it becomes root-bound and cramped in the existing container. Still, be careful here. Take your new pot. How to repot Monstera adansonii. Just put it back in its spot with lots of. Just loosen the root ball slightly. Monstera deliciosa (Swiss Cheese Plant) is a fast-growing houseplant. So, always wait until spring or summer to repot if you can wait. You don’t want to rip any roots off. If the roots are too packed for this, carefully dig a narrow, deep hole large enough and insert the pole. These Houseplants Won't Kill Your Cat (but, can't promise your cat won't kill them! Whether you have a plant growing sideways and out of control, or want to encourage your Monstera to develop leaf splits and fenestrations, providing a support will help! Carefully remove your monstera from the pot (you might need a friend to help you) and rinse as much of the soil off the roots as you can. You’ve got this! A couple days prior to repotting your plant, give your Monstera a thorough drink of water. Your Monstera should be standing upright, at 90 degrees, when you are done. Water when the top third of soil dries out. One of the classic houseplants is the tropical philodendron. A monstera can be grown in a 6″ pot to a 24″ pot depending upon the plant’s size and growth. If your plant is showing signs that it needs to be repotted earlier, however, go ahead and repot. Books, Beans, & Botany is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Use twist ties to attach your plant to the stake if necessary. Remove the plant from its existing pot. Using the same supplies plus the moss pole, lay your Monstera on its side and gently remove it from its planter. I hope you find the information helpful. Pack firmly but not ridiculously tight. Next, loosen the root ball. Copyright © echo date(Y);?> Monstera Plant Resource, Fiddle Leaf Fig Plant Food Moisture Meter, How to Repot a Monstera (Even With a Moss Pole), You’ll know your plant has outgrown its current pot when. Repotting can also be a good way to combat diseases like fungal root rot and bacterial infections. The soil might sink a little, so go ahead and add more, Your monstera should adjust quickly to its new pot, but it’s normal to see a little droopiness. Most likely, you will have to repot the plant immediately at receipt since the pot you get it in is just a temporary solution. Your monstera should adjust quickly to its new pot, but it’s normal to see a little droopiness. There are a couple of different ways that I will describe to propagate your Monstera deliciosa. Adansonii are one of those plants that will struggle if they’re badly root bound. ... How to Repot and Divide a … That can make this plant downright unruly to handle while switching pots! I finally got around to repotting my monstera deliciosa – something I had been putting off for quite a while because I was nervous about damaging her. Mine declined so quickly that I had to repot it when I didn’t really have a suitable pot. Depending on the size of your monstera, you may need two sets of hands, but I was able to do this one on my own. If you notice the soil pulling away from the edge of the pot or if water just sits on top of the soil without sinking in, you’ve got compacted soil. What is the Best Time to Repot a Monstera? In this video I will show you how I stake and repot my Monstera. Planting and re-potting monstera Upon purchasing, if the pot is too small, proceed to repot the Monstera so that it may grow adequately. The split-leaf philodendron (Monstera deliciosa), also known as the Swiss cheese plant, gets its name from the notches on its leaves. Monsteras typically only need to be repotted every 1-2 years when it becomes root-bound and cramped in the existing container. If you see any rotting roots, carefully trim those away. Monstera plants do best in potting mix that holds moisture yet also drains well. It includes frequently repotting them to match the growth rate. Most plants need to be repotted at least every few years, and this can be stressful! A heavy block of soil doesn’t absorb water very well, which can lead to a dried-out, sad plant. When should I repot my Monstera Deliciosa? It’s … To fix monstera root/stem/leaf rot, get the monstera out of the soil, inspect it for any pests, remove and dispose of all the affected areas. Position your Monstera in bright light but avoid full sun and the scorching rays of mid-day. There are always exceptions to the rule, of course. This will help soften the soil, making it easier to extract the plant. Monstera deliciosa, aka Swiss Cheese Plant, is a very popular houseplant with a vigorous growth habit. Add a layer of potting soil on top as well, leaving about 2 inches of clearance at the top. Gradually, the soil will absorb water through the process of capillary action. Alternatively, you could gently pull on the plant as close as possible to the roots, but that makes me too nervous. So, always wait until spring or summer to repot if you can wait. The Best Soil for Repotting Monstera Plants; The Ultimate Monstera Plant Potting Mix Recipe; The Best Soil Mix for Monstera Plants – The Essentials. In their native range, monstera earn their name by growing to 70 feet tall and sprouting thick epiphytic roots. We’ll walk you through the process for how to repot a monstera, but first, it’s important to know why repotting is necessary at all. My Monstera Deliciosa has outgrown her pot. Regular indoor potting mix works well, but I recommend our premium well-draining potting soil. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. That’s all there is to it! Your monstera will probably hit a growth spurt during this time, so it should recover from repotting quickly. Additionally, due to the growth and general exhaustion of the nutrients from the soil, you will have to repot the variegated monstera every two years, or 18-24 months to be more precise. If the plant was severely potbound, loosening the roots a little bit encourages the roots to grow into the soil in the new pot a little more easily.