Feb 27, 2020 - Don't be afraid of canned fish, the good stuff really can make great fast and really tasty dishes like these canned mackerel fish cakes. All my family enjoyed them. But I’ve also made mini ones to have as a starter and it was these that inspired me to make fish fingers instead. Since its release in March 2019, Get Your Kids To Eat Anything has been changing mealtimes in households across the country and has become an Amazon #1 best-seller. They're quick to make, ideal for those on a Keto or low carb diet, and versatile as mackerel burgers in buns or on a salad. A canned mackerel recipe really does live and die on the quality of the mackerel! There are many kinds of Mackerel fish such as Atlantic mackerel, Pacific mackerel, King mackerel, Spanish Mackerel etc…. Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat and add two tablespoons butter. Roll into eight equally sized balls and place on an oiled baking sheet. I haven’t tried creating a vegetarian version of this yet but you may be able to make something similar using grated cheese and extra leftover veg or tofu instead of the fish. Easy Mackerel Fish Cakes is one of the most favored of current trending meals in the world. You can look beyond mackerel as well! Frozen salmon probably won’t have much odor but you can check fresh salmon, it will smell mildly of fish, but not unpleasantly so. Roll the fish cakes in the flour (shaking off any excess) Dip into the egg and then the breadcrumbs. As well as salmon you can use any flakey white fish or mackerel, make sure to remove any bones. Add the rest of the ingredients, excluding vegetable oil, and mix well. The method is very straightforward. Mackerel is also a great source of complete protein and many micronutrients, including vitamins B12, B6, selenium, iron, and magnesium. This recipe is made using leftover mash potato so some of it is already made ahead. You can unsubscribe at any time. These easy to make, gluten-free fish cakes are really delicious, versatile and not overly fishy! I’ve been making smoked mackerel fish cakes for years, and very good they are too. When cooked, remove from pan and place on paper towel-lined plate. It is also meaty and strongly flavored fish. See recipes for Spaghetti and Titus Fish stew, Mackerel Burgers too. Place the eggs, flour and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes. In simple terms, it serves as starters or appetisers before we attack the main course. It goes without saying that you need a fluffy mash for this – the lovely waxy new potatoes available at this time of year are too dense to hold together in a cake… Firstly check the use-by date and make sure the salmon has been stored correctly according to the packet instructions. … Bake for 20 minutes until just firm and golden, then serve as soon as cooled enough to be eaten safely. Fishcakes are quite delicate things so try not to handle them too much. I enjoy eating my mackerel cakes over a bed of mixed greens tossed in some olive oil, salt, and pepper. 65 ratings 4.7 out of 5 star rating. Using an ice cream scoop, make small (about 2 inch) balls and set them on the baking tin Its time to get out the frying pan and make room for some incredibly delicious salmon and mackerel fishcakes. But you can make miracles happen when you let your imagination flow. These are perfect for me as i am gluten free and also do i have to use olive oil. Fish is one of our traditional dishes and we love to make a variety of dishes with them. As I’ve used leftover mashed potato these fishcakes should be eaten up when they are first made as it’s not a good idea to reheat food more than a couple of times. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/fish-cakes-without-breadcrumbs Yes, these fishcakes are a perfect recipe for all the family. google_ad_client = "ca-pub-4303047898130310"; /* Din468x60 */ google_ad_slot = "5962081861"; google_ad_width = 468; google_ad_height = 60; Mould them into small, bite-size fish cakes. Most fish cakes are made out of white fish such as the Cod or Haddock. Let me know how you get on in the comments below. Roll into eight equally sized balls and place on an oiled baking sheet. Add the finely sliced onions, the chopped coriander leaves, ½ of the beaten egg, the cumin powder, black pepper mix and a pinch of salt. These mackerel kebabs can be eaten as snacks. By Emily Leary. 7. Your email address will not be published. Click on that number and a little slider will pop up that you can move up or down to get the number you want to make. Flour. These are then coated with seasoned panko breadcrumbs and pan fried in a cast iron skillet. I am drooling as typing these words. I love the freshness and the gentle hint of onion flavour they bring. Put some oil in a nonstick or stainless steel frying pan and heat on medium high. Salmon is full of protein, omega 3 fatty acids, and vitamin D which are all great for growing kids. You can look beyond mackerel as well! Shape fish mixture into patties and place on a baking sheet. Canned Fish Recipes Low Fat Chicken Recipes Seafood Recipes Cooking Recipes Healthy Recipes Tinned Mackerel Recipe Mackeral Recipes Mackerel Patties. balls, then flatten into a … Serve hot and enjoy! If you have any questions or concerns please speak to a qualified health professional, A Mummy Too does not offer medical advice. Using frozen salmon fillets, there's no need to crumb them before baking. Required fields are marked *. Make sure that the cakes are nicely covered in the breadcrumbs without being overwhelmed. They're simple, quick and tasty. Monkfish recipes (10) Cod recipes (32) Fish curry recipes (15) Smoked haddock recipes (36) Trout recipes (19) Sea bass recipes (18) Tuna recipes (41) Sardine recipes (17) Healthy fish recipes (84) Mackerel recipes (60) Fish pie recipes (39) Kedgeree recipes (13) 30g butter. Method: In a bowl, mix together the potato, horseradish sauce, zest of lemon, paprika and chopped parsley and mackerel. Next time, try setting a timer for 15 minutes, so you can check on the fishcakes and see how they are going. Cook cakes, working in batches if needed, in the hot skillet until browned, 3 to 5 minutes; … Oil the tray so the fishcakes don’t stick and there's no need to flip them partway through cooking as this risks them falling apart. Serve your fishcakes with their favourite veggies for a healthy weeknight dinner. It uses less oil to bake them, as you just need a little to stop them from sticking to the tray, rather than enough to stop them sticking with the high heat of a frying pan. I'll also show you how to make them with fresh mackerel and additionally, a quick white cheddar ranch dressing. Use up leftover mash to create a comforting, good-value family meal 35 mins . Boil the new potatoes and simmer until cooked. Peppered mackerel fishcakes. You have got to try this Mackerel Fish Cakes Recipe!! Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan / 400F). Fry until nicely golden brown before turning. These tinned mackerel fish cakes without potato are so easy and delicious and pan fried in their drained off oil. Mix them well together. Packed with protein, vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids, oily fish is a great option for family meals. Mackerel fish is a very oily fish, rich in Omega 3 fatty acid. So, let's get started making these fab salmon fishcakes that are great fun for little hands to make. Mackerel Fish Cakes An Easy Fish Cake Recipe. They'll weigh about … They're nice and they look fantastic. Milk may help to take the strong flavor out. Cooking with kids is a lovely family activity, not to mention the benefits of hands-on learning about where food comes from and the importance of healthy eating. The best part about these Panko-Crusted Baked Mackerel Cakes is that you can substitute the mackerel with other fish such as canned or fresh salmon or tuna. Learn how your comment data is processed. 3 eggs. If there is any strong ammonia or really strong fishy smell this is a sure sign the salmon has gone off and should be discarded. Allow to cool, then flake the salmon with a fork. Place the potato, salmon, salt, pepper and chives (if using) in a bowl. See more ideas about mackerel recipes, mackerel, recipes. A canned mackerel recipe really does live and die on the quality of the mackerel! Roll out the balls and press them down. Thanks for sharing!! Grill on each side for 5 minutes until golden brown and hot throughout. 6 tablespoons breadcrumbs; 1 large egg . Season with salt & pepper. Frozen mash is the best thing ever so I'm pleased to have found another use for it, we do similar for an easy fish pie too but I love that I can make these with my son. cooking with kids, fish, fishcakes, salmon, fresh or frozen (or two small cans, drained). Using canned fish would make this recipe even speedier. Dredge the cakes carefully in the egg mix, then the flour and finally the breadcrumbs. Coat each fish cake in flour, then egg and roll in breadcrumbs. So, I’m very excited to share my delicious mackerel cake recipe with you today. Most fish cakes are made out of white fish such as the Cod or Haddock. Lime zest and juice. Heat a frying pan with oil. If you don’t have any chives you can just leave them out. 699 homemade recipes for mackerel from the biggest global cooking community! If you have a probe thermometer and want to double-check they are cooked right through, insert it into one of the fishcakes and check they’ve reached 71C(160F). Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand to create patties. 2391 words. In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, onion, egg, mayonnaise, lemon juice, fold in mackerel. Ingredients: 15 oz can of mackerel 1 cup of milk 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs 1/2 cup diced […] Canned mackerel is about 1/3 the price. If you find things often burn in your oven it might be worth investing in an oven thermometer so you can check the actual temperature in the oven. Article by Emily Leary, A Mummy Too. Finely grate the zest of one of the limes into the mayonnaise, squeeze in … Mix in the egg and breadcrumbs. As long as little ones are over 6 months old and eating solid foods comfortably. Head down to the recipe card below and you’ll see the servings are set to 8, we usually have 2 each for a weeknight meal. You can also check the texture, it should feel firm and not fall apart when you press it. To begin with this particular recipe, we must prepare a few components. But you can make miracles happen when you let your imagination flow. Make sure that the cakes are nicely covered in the breadcrumbs without being overwhelmed. Shape into 2 ounce patties; about 7 or 8 patties. A few words about Mackerel Fish Atlantic Mackerel. Place the eggs, flour and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes. Everything you need should be easy to find in the average kitchen. It is a slim and cylindrical shaped fish found in the Atlantic Ocean (Atlantic Mackerel) and also in tropical and temperate seas such as the Mediterranean Sea and the Black Sea. Salt and pepper. Before you put the fishcakes on the tray make sure to add a little oil so they don’t stick. Use up leftover mash to create a comforting, good-value family meal 35 mins . Don’t forget you can also use tinned fish which can make this recipe a great store cupboard dinner. You want about a mm of coverage over all sides. Add the olive oil and mix together well with a fork. This is a brunch you’ll want to enjoy time and time again, particularly as it’s so simple to make, requiring just four ingredients and just 10 minutes to make! Smoked Mackerel Fish Cakes. Alternative herbs you could try are dill and parsley as well as spring onion. They'll weigh about 50g (1.8 oz) each. With mini fish cakes you get plenty of crunchy coating. // ]]> Easy Most fish cakes are made out of white fish such as the Cod or Haddock. 6 whole mackerel (12 fillets) Olive oil. It helps ease the pain of migraine, arthrosis and arthritis. I used un-dyed fish here, but I imagine the yellow dyed haddock would be just as good; also that you could use … Gently grill or shallow-fry the fishcakes for 5-6 mins on each side until crunchy, golden … Multi-award-winning food, lifestyle and parenting writer, presenter and photographer. In fact, mackerel has some of the highest omega-3 content of any fish. If you want to lift these to another level try adding a teaspoon of tartar sauce or horseradish sauce if you like it to add a bit of tart heat to the fishcakes. Much easier and quicker to make than I imagined - and really good served with some tartare sauce and green salad. Yes, I'm back with yet another canned mackerel recipe, so soon after sharing my canned mackerel fish cakes without potato!. This is probably because they’ve been left in the oven too long, or the oven was too hot. Jump to Recipe. One of the dishes I had used the Keto bread crumbs for was a fish cake/cutlet which I made for my wife Deepti. It's a perfect weeknight option for all the family. Home » Fish and Seafood Recipes » Smoked Mackerel Pasta With Chili & Breadcrumbs. 7. Dill or parsley would be good alternatives, both classics with fish. It's so much more than a cookbook, it's a 5-Phase programme designed to take you through a meaningful, simple and sustainable journey to end fussy eating. I'll also show you how to make them with fresh mackerel and additionally, a quick white cheddar ranch dressing. 3 spring onions sliced. Firstly it's easier to simply pop them in the oven and forget about them whilst we prepare the rest of dinner, whereas on the hob they will need to be watched more closely. Mould them into small, bite-size fish cakes. Tinned Sardines make an appearance in these salmon fish cakes and spiced up tuna in these Thai fish cakes. X. Emily Leary. I knew … You can use this recipe as a bit of a guide, play around with the types of fish, and different herbs and flavours.