Paul Rodriguez as Roger Garcia: Selena's back-up guitarist. Everybody commingled and everything until COVID-19 hit, of course. How could it not be? He tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus all at once. Whether I think I’m good for the role or not, I pretty much have gone to every audition which is good because that’s what skateboarding to me is. Featured art courtesy of Selena: The Series, by Sara Khalid. I’ll read through scripts or if I have a scene that I’m going to put up in class with a partner work on that. Just real human stories. I do some stock market stuff. and doesn't make a positive first impression upon Abraham, primarily because of his clothing and long hair. Our Esquina: A quick, fun question. I knew that at some point, you have to retire as an athlete. Oscar Avila has appeared in the Get Shorty TV series and Sicario: Day of the Soldado. Related: The 25 Best Films on Netflix Right Now. SpongeBob SquarePants Prequel Show Trailer Reveals First Look At Kamp Koral, How Netflix's Selena Show Compares To Jennifer Lopez's Movie, Jennifer Lopez vs Christian Serratos: Whose Selena Is More Accurate, The Boys Showrunner Reveals Seth Rogen’s Advice for Writing Edgy Satire, Why It's A Sin Is The Biggest Must Watch Show of 2021 (Not WandaVision), Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries Season 2: Release & Cast Updates, Behind Her Eyes: Netflix Was Right To Cut A Horrific Scene From The Book, The Arrowverse's Joker Copies Batman 1989's Homicidal Artist, It's A Sin: What The Group's "La" Catchphrase Really Means, The Irregulars Trailer Makes Sherlock Holmes & Watson The Bad Guys, Why Superman & Lois Just Killed [SPOILER], Why American Gods Creators Bryan Fuller & Michael Green Left After Season 1, How WandaVision Filmed The Agatha All Along Sequence, How WandaVision Changes [SPOILER]: Real Villain's Comics Origin, Kate McKinnon Leaves Hulu's Elizabeth Holmes Show, Paul Bettany Reveals Obscure WandaVision Cameo, How Doctor Who Has Failed Jodie Whittaker, Is Anya Taylor-Joy's Gina Returning For Peaky Blinders Season 6, Theory: S.W.O.R.D. And so, after about a million auditions, and having only booked one other role, this one came along. This type of injury has led to many early retirements for professional skaters. Christian Serratos stars as Selena Quintanilla, the late Mexican-American superstar who introduced Tejano music into the mainstream. In this role and throughout your career, how has your background influenced you as a professional athlete and now as an actor? Anything athletic has a window. Do the work. Thank God I found an avenue with skateboarding, which had nothing to do with anything from that world. Jesse Posey portrays Chris Perez, a rock guitarist who falls in love with Selena. Next: What To Expect From Selena Season 2. Gabriel Chavarria co-stars as A.B. So you’re going to see a lot of the ‘80s nostalgia during my time on the show. Related: Jennifer Lopez vs Christian Serratos: Whose Selena Is More Accurate. Serratos is best known for starring as Rosita Espinosa in The Walking Dead. Para ello, su familia y ella tomarán decisiones para mantenerse unidas y vivir de su música.. He was born in Tarzana, California as the son of comedian Paul Rodriguez. You just gotta just try something a million times and eventually you’ll learn it or you land it. He is also an investor, entrepreneur and business owner. Como La Flor… Even then, though, things were not always rosy for the Quintanilla family. L to R: Noemi Gonzalez as Suzette Quintanilla, Hunter Reese Peña as Ricky Vela, Christian Serratos as Selena, Paul Rodriguez Jr as Roger Garcia, and Gabriel Chavarria as A.B. He has also appeared in The Book of Eli and Fort Bliss. All the latest gaming news, game reviews and trailers. She's depicted as a loving and supportive mother in the Netflix series, one who worries about the family's finances before the group lands a big record deal. There were some long days and early mornings. They include NBA legend Michael Jordan, the late Lakers legend Kobe Bryant and Lakers champion LeBron James. P-Rod: Yeah, so the last few years, I’ve actually been taking acting classes consistently. Your work, your talent and your gifts will speak for you. And you know, I think we didn’t quite have the budget that other Netflix shows would have, so we had to do a lot more with a lot less and make it all work. I’m confident that the whole show will come out looking like we had the biggest budget ever. The show will tell the coming-of-age story of Latina pop star Selena Quintanilla, who was murdered in 1995. Our Esquina: Is there anything that you wish more people knew about you? I’m really led by passion. The studying and the actual developing of the craft side of it, for me, at that age was mind-numbing. Quintanilla, Selena's brother and long-time producer. So, now I know that I can make it now that I’ve made it on my own. It just seemed completely normal. I was raised in a super eclectic neighborhood. In the Netflix series, A.B. Not for him. As a kid, I was always around actors and famous people, and it really inspired me. It looked interesting and I wanted to partake in it. You can’t do it forever. He also portrayed Dan Palmer in Santa Clarita Diet, Bruce in Jane the Virgin, and Francisco Vargas in Scandal. When asked about it, it’s difficult for Paul to summarize his skateboarding career to date. Oscar Avila as Manny Guerra: A Tejano music producer. Kobe personally congratulated Paul and joined him in London in 2012 to help launch Paul’s tenth Nike SB P-Rod shoe. He was really young, the whole band was young. Natasha Perez As Yolanda Saldivar: Selena's fan club president. Click the button below to start this article in quick view. I always had the goal to live life on my own terms. In terms of transitioning from skateboarding to acting, I still definitely have a lot of work to do and I still have a lot of gas in the tank left for skateboarding, so I’m also just having fun studying, trying to learn the craft while I’m still enjoying and loving skating. P-Rod: You know how you think of the early industrialists like your Rockefellers and your Carnegies and these types of families, the Rothschilds and they just have money generation after generation. Paul Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo Jr., Julio Macias, Gladys Bautista, Hunter Reese Peña La cantante mexicoestadounidense Selena se hace adulta y cumple sus sueños. P-Rod: My mom (Laura Martinez) is second generation, but my dad was born there (Paul Rodriguez was born in Culiacán, Sinaloa). When A.B. Paul Rodríguez Jr, quien es Roger García en Selena, la serie, es un rapero, actor y patinador profesional estadounidense conocido más por sus ocho medallas en los X Games , cuatro de ellas de oro. Selena: The Series, the Netflix biographical drama about Tejano music legend Selena Quintanilla, will premiere December 4. [2] A série é produzida pela, Netflix, [3] Campanario Entertainment e junto com a família da cantora, é a versão autorizada da vida de Selena, ao contrário da série El Secreto de Selena, versão não autorizada da jornalista María Celeste Arrarás. Kids, other Mexican kids, would come to our demos or signings or contests and see me and tell me how because I’m Mexican, I inspired them to start skating. Who are your biggest influences? Paul has had much success in bringing his dreams to life. So, when I was a little kid I used to go on TV sets and movie sets with him and watch them shoot and film. Our Esquina: Your character Roger Garcia was part of the early years of Los Dinos. We’ll see what happens. Everybody hung out with and were buddies with the crew, the cast. Natasha Perez has appeared in Spanglish and Lady in the Water. Hough is a senior writer at Screen Rant. And eventually that might help you get roles easier. Since studying acting bounces back and forth with skating, in many ways I’m still just starting. Can you give us an idea of what we can look forward to when we watch you on “Selena: The Series” starting this Friday? Part 2 will be released on May 14, 2021. Racconta la storia dell'ascesa alla fama della cantante di musica Tex-Mex Selena e dei sacrifici che lei e la sua famiglia devono fare lungo la strada per il successo. Joe Lorenzo as Luis Silva: A San Antonio songwriter-producer. 's Secret Vision Plan Is Part Of Kang's MCU Invasion, SpongeBob SquarePants: All 10 Times The Krusty Krab Changed Business, It's A Sin: The True Story Behind Episode 3's Shocking Moment. A one-stop shop for all things video games. So, it was just an audition that came down the pipeline, and I told my manager. Whatever your situation is, you can find a way. They made her whole neighborhood. Just over a year later, she was murdered by her fan club president, Yolanda Saldivar. P-Rod: Becoming a professional skateboarder, obviously, we weren’t compensated like other athletes like baseball, football, basketball or traditional athletes. Our Esquina: You have an upcoming role we’ll all get to see starting Friday. Catia Ojeda portrayed Terri Quinn in Just Add Magic. I’d like to see a lot more for sure. In the Netflix series, he's anxious about informing A.B. He is one of the most accomplished professional skaters in the history of the sport. I got management for acting and have been going out on a lot of auditions. What else did I learn? As you know, my father is a comedian and actor. Joe Lorenzo has appeared in Murder in the First  and American Horror Story. So that’s the idea behind trying to be an entrepreneur and investing, just I want to live life on my own terms bottom line. Our Esquina: I know you have Primitive (skateboarding brand) and you have a passion for real estate. Q.V. I’d love to do action films and I’d love to just continue to evolve and grow as an actor. I was also fortunate enough to be born here in Southern California in the San Fernando Valley. Paul Rodriguez portrayed Derreck Cabrera in Street Dreams and Officer Claro in The Curse of la Llorona. I just kind of fly by the seat of my pants. Producida por Netflix, Campanario Entertainment y junto con la familia de la cantante. The Selena cast is led by Christian Serratos, but the Netflix series features actors and actresses from several popular TV shows. Hopefully, I can be a good role model to kids and show that with faith, hard work and focus, anything’s possible. By submitting your email, you are agreeing to receive additional communications and exclusive content from Our Esquina. When really tapped in, when you really are fired up internally, there is really not much that can be done to stop you. P-Rod: The answer to why I decided to start acting is actually, it was my first dream from when I was a kid. It didn’t take too much time. En la serie da vida a Selena, quien no necesita presentación, es la cantante más exitosa en el género musical Tex Mex, que estaba dominado por hombres cuando Selena inició en él. Previously, he appeared in the series Stitchers and First Love. Our Esquina: You mentioned you would like to do a Marvel movie, an action movie, which brings me to the last question about acting. P-Rod started skating at age 12. She's skeptical of her sister's relationship with Chris Pérez in the Netflix series, but only because she knows that it will cause problems with their father. What some of these actors out there can do, I don’t think most of us really respect what they can do. Well, I’ve always been proud of my heritage, my culture and my background. On Netflix’s “Selena: The Series,” you play Roger Garcia. There are endless stories. Paul Rodriguez was born on December 31, 1984 in Tarzana, California, USA as Paul Martin Rodriguez. [1] The series was released on Netflix on December 4, 2020. Did you learn anything about yourself or what was your favorite part about this experience? He has also appeared in Jane the Virgin and S.W.A.T. You can unsubscribe at any time. A native of the San Fernando Valley, this Mexican-American athlete now adds actor to his list of achievements. She recently appeared as Delia in The Tax Collector. He was, as you know, the guitar player of the band one of the original guitar players of the band. I was lucky. I like to invest in real estate. Selena: The Series marks the first major role for Posey. It was really awesome. It’s meaningful and matters to kids to see actors who look like them in the role of a superhero, for example. Selena, remembered as the Queen of Tejano music, was shot and killed on March 31, 1995, at 23 years old. Make yourself undeniable. Paul Rodriguez portrayed Derreck Cabrera in Street Dreams and Officer Claro in The Curse of la Llorona. It took only a few years for him to go pro. Selena: la serie, como la plataforma streaming la llamó, cuenta la historia de la reina del tex-mex y de su familia desde su infancia, cuando nació su sueño de convertirse en una estrella de la música en su cochera hasta que se I know you’ve had acting experience before, but is it safe to say this is your major acting debut? Paul Rodriguez Jr. is a dedicated learner, thoughtful strategist and relentless worker. Deadline broke the news earlier today that P-Rod has landed a recurring role on Netflix’s Selena: The Series. It was really amazing from the costume department making all the costumes, trying to recreate all of them from scratch, to the set designers that had to recreate all these music award sets and the house. I think some Planet of the Apes stuff was shot there. You were filming in Baja? Selena isn't designed as a miniseries, so the story will likely continue in future parts and seasons, which could bring back its main cast as well as introduce even more characters based on real-life people. When I started skateboarding, I just saw all different kids doing it. Based on the life of the late Tejano music icon Selena Quintanilla, Netflix's Selena series was developed for TV by Moisés Zamora. Please check your entries and try again. She recently appeared as Grey in Room 104 season 4. It tells the story of Tejano singer Selena's rise to fame and the sacrifices she and her family must make along the way. James Cameron had that whole studio built, and they filmed Titanic there, the whole movie. Also, I didn’t realize until older how to articulate it. We’re not, we’re not paid anywhere close to that. P-Rod: You’re going to see a lot of ‘80s and big ‘80s outfits. Every Friday night, we would all go out to this bar Ricky’s out there in Rosarito Beach and just hang out and unwind after the long week of work. So, in the evenings at night to unwind and relax, that’s what I like to do. That’s when I started realizing the impact it had on the community and that’s when I realized well, this is a big responsibility. P-Rod: The culture is very, very family-like on the set. Chavarria portrayed Tito in Freedom Writers and Jacob Aguilar in East Los High. You’re going to see him like he was probably 19 and they first brought him into the band. So I’d love to continue to evolve and be able to learn how to go further and further in that direction to become like a real actor’s actor. But up until that point everybody did. She also portrayed Angela in the Twilight movie franchise and Raven in The Secret Life of the American Teenager. Selena: A Série é uma série de televisão biográfica americana baseada na vida da estrela Selena. Who are the others? I understood that I didn’t graduate high school, I didn’t go to college and I don’t have the discipline of getting up and working a 9-to-5 or taking orders from someone. Part 1 of Selena: The Series released in December 2020, with Part 2 coming later down the line. Related: How Netflix's Selena Show Compares To Jennifer Lopez's Movie. Our Esquina: You’re someone who’s done so much. I want kids to know, especially as a Mexican-American, that you can do anything you want.