Thanks for your help! LOL, I definitely measured out the sugar correctly, because my daughter is at that stage (finally!) It’s such a fun cake…perfect for early summer evenings, right?? So I would describe this cake as something between a pound cake and a regular layer cake. Have a great time at the party this weekend, and enjoy that tart. Good tips on the strawberries sweating…thanks for sharing! But I’m having problems with my frosting. It was so good that my brother-in-law requested the same cake for his birthday next week! If you’ve read some of the other comments, you’ll notice that it seems like about half of the folks who make this cake have trouble with the frosting being too loose. Do you have suggestions or other ideas as to why this is so crumbly? Beat one and pour half of it into the batter? I’ll use these proportions as a starting point for the new experiment. 99 Ranch Market … If you give it a try, let me know how it turns out? It received rave reviews.i took it to a Dessert Auction at church and it raised $400.00 for a summer missions trip for our teens! Hey Shelby! Thanks again, and have a great weekend! I’m wondering if they would go juicy and make the frosting a bit wet if they’re on for too long beforehand. My husband hates cake because it’s too sweet, but he loves this one! If I were to make this again, I would add the strawberries by sprinkling them on top of a cut slice. I made it exactly as written and even folded the strawberries into the original frosting. It’s no match for the fruit. Bowls of strawberries and whipped cream are (apart from the sweltering temps – fingers crossed we hit 100) are some of my favorite things about summer! My cake needed to sit overnight and I was worried the whipped cream would lose water. I love this cake, too, and we’re heading into fresh strawberry season…I can’t wait to make this one again here, too. Thank you so much, Tonya…your comment just made my night. I was just wondering if this should be kept refrigerated or room temp? im im the process of making this cake and I was reading through the comments and I noticed that “whipping cream” is mentioned for use in the frosting while in the recipe it says heavy cream. I hope your son has a wonderful first birthday! It might be a couple of weeks until I get to it, but it’s going to happen! Haha. You really are too kind! Hey Leo! Shorts! This both felt, cut, & tasted more like sweet cornbread than cake. The only other thing that kinda makes me wonder is how you said this cake took an extra 8 minutes to bake. Based on what you mentioned earlier, I wonder if this had something to do with the mixing. Fortunately I have enough frosting left over for another cake. I love blackberries, too, and will be looking forward to seeing your new recipe on Friday. It was always a hit… Everyone loved it! ), Thanks for sharing those notes for the angel food cake. Great question though! I’m glad it was a super delicious fail, but I still feel terrible about the fail. This was a beautifully dense and moist white cake. And I really hope these cupcakes turn out awesome! The recipe does make a lot of frosting, but I found that it worked well to balance out the thicker cake. I would discourage anyone wanting to make the 3 layer version of this cake from upping the ingredients for the frosting, as this recipe made WAY more than enough to generously pile between the cake layers *and* frost the cake, as well as fill two cereal bowls to serve as dessert. It turned out beautifully! We put strawberries in the middle, like you did here. Does that make sense? Thanks! Thank you so much! I wouldn’t recommend putting any strawberries into the cake (this recipe doesn’t do that either) as the berries could stick to the liners/sides of pan and create trouble. Haha! Add the egg and egg whites; mix on low speed until well combined. I’m jealous that you get to eat that Ambrosia cake regularly. I’m off to spend the day cleaning up before the in-laws arrive…haha. Slice ⅓ of the strawberries into thin slices; set aside. Light. Hey there, Rebecca…I’m so sorry to hear that this frosting didn’t work for you. I made this cake last night for my daughter’s 1st birthday party. Happy baking!). I just used that concept to create my own version, and I have to say that this is a very tasty cake! So I obviously don’t have the authentic recipe for this cake, but I wanted to recreate something similar. Yes, we’re in Colorado, with the altitude, the baking needs to be adjusted slightly sometimes. Absolutely it will still work, Jules! Unfortunately, I’ve never baked a lot at high altitudes myself, so I don’t have a lot of personal experiences to suggest. If you do try it with another fruit, let me know how it turns out! Hello I wanted to make this cake also but with the three layers. (The real key to the frosting is making sure to whip that cream until it is VERY stiff…almost overwhipped. I absolutely loved the cake and my 5 year old daughter said it was the BEST cake ever. Oh my gosh! My mouth is watering. Does anyone know if I don’t have a paddle or a stand mixer (just a regular hand mixer) will it still turn out? It is absolutely perfect. The first two times I made it, with the original frosting recipe, I never had an issue with it being too runny. Well I tried this cake and although it tastes fine it is a heavy/dense cake and I was wanting something a bit lighter. I used to make a cake very similar to this every 4th of July to serve as the desert for my yearly 4th of July BBQ. They were allowed to cool in the pan, then transferred to a cooling rack. However, the volume of batter/cake is pretty similar, so I’m going to guess that the baking time will be close to the same. FOR SALE! Thank you so much for stopping by…I think this cake would make an excellent choice for your daughter’s first birthday. It was divine! So this is indeed more of a shortbread style of cake. I might need to get back in the kitchen and make it again before the summer is over! I made some slight tweaks to that cake based on reader’s comments here, and I think it might be better than the original. Glad you enjoyed the cake, Asha! . Thanks so much, Beatrice. I made it twice, because I thought I messed up the first time. , Ah, bummer on the cream cheese, Suzie! Thank you for sharing! As you’ve noticed, you really have to almost over-whip that frosting in order for it to hold up once the cake gets frosted. All-purpose flour will be totally fine for this cake! Thanks so much for your comment, too. Hi – I just tried making this. You are indeed correct that cake flour could lead to a crumbly cake. It should be refrigerated right?? Would the batter amount be enough to fill 3 9-inch cake pans? Wow, you already made it!! I personally love the way this cake tastes, and I don’t think the vanilla overpowers the cake at all. Has the recipe changed? So glad to know this cake (without frosting) freezes well, Kim. The biggest “challenge” (if it’s really a challenge) to this cake is making sure to really get a very, very stiff whipped cream before adding remaining frosting ingredients. Strawberries are not yet in season but my sister really wanted a strawberry cake for her birthday so you helped make it happen. Your cake recipe is so good, and the cake looks so amazing and delicious. I was afraid to make it too stiff and didn’t whip it long enough….probably a few minutes shy of making it stiff enough. Thank you SO much for sharing…you are awesome. Baking your first ever cake from scratch is definitely a good way to say happy birthday to your mom. Almost had a disaster. My guess is you will need a couple minutes more, but nothing too crazy. I followed the instructions as written and was trying very hard not to screw this up. Update on cake: ... she invented one they all liked. My youngest daughter turns 1 at the end of the month and there is a pretty good chance I will be making this cake again. I’m guessing you’re probably well into cake baking by now since that comment was a couple of hours ago. Thanks in advance! Also, this comment makes me want to go pipe roses…I haven’t done that in a couple of years now, and I wonder if I still could. This is the only post where I have had trouble describing the recipe in words! 2 pints (2-3 pounds) strawberries, stems and hulls removed. Also, you might consider adding sour cream to the cake…this really helps to moisten it and keep it from being too dry. I actually just remade this frosting (and updated the recipe) less than a week ago. , Two years ago, I was searching for a cake recipe on Pinterest. I absolutely love Cajun food. Wow, that looks awesome! Hi, I’ve made this cake 3 times before this and never had a problem with the real “original frosting” recipe. I’m planning on making this again next week, so I’ll give it a go with cake flour. Make either the Original Frosting or the Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting (both recipes below). I did a lot of mission work through my church when I was in high school, and I know how important that money is. (I still love the original myself, but I’m thinking 2 options can’t hurt, right?) I ultimately decided to make this strawberry cake and divided the recommended amount of butter and sugar by half. a classic New Orleans Muffaletta Sandwich. . (I have a tip in the recipe above for that.) It’s definitely one of our favorites around here. I really appreciate it! I personally don’t think either of the two frosting options is too sweet. Then I put on the top layer and frosted it and the sides and topped the top of the cake with another layer of sliced strawberries leaving about a 1″ open space around the edge so I could pipe a decorative border. Thanks so much for stopping by to comment! I definitely understand what you mean about not putting enough frosting in between the layers. . Hey Thea! You’re right, 2 options can’t hurt! Near San Diego, California, United States About 256 days ago, 6/09/20 Sharer's comments : Fuyu Persimmons in house! I would love it if the icing kept the texture of whipped cream – is it possible to achieve that? Every time my mom makes a cake honestly, it doesn’t ever taste like cake as others have posted lol.. so I’m afraid of my cake coming out that way as well. In fact, I’ve adjusted the recipe above to reflect that advice. Everyone at the party enjoyed the cake, but not a single Baton Rouge native made the connection that this was an attempt at the Ambrosia cake. But it’s still in one piece, so all is good). I was hoping I could get a tip. Would it work with heavy whipping cream? Hey Lisa! My guess is the whipped cream was not whipped enough, but I think it can be salvaged. I’m planning to make this cake for my friend as a birthday present. Thanks for sharing. Berry and Grape Crumble (gluten, dairy free), 25 Spring Cakes to Make in Your Favorite Bundt Pan, This Was the Most Popular Chick-fil-A Menu Item in 2020, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents. Haha! But with that said, I still have the original recipe in my archives! First off, thank you so much for the kind words! I’m so sorry to hear that, Ruth. It's PERFECT for summer!! Gorgeous pictures. Combine sugar and cornstarch; sprinkle over batter. I haven't personally tried that yet, but I can totally see how it would work as whipped topping is more stable than whipped cream. Thanks so much for the idea. As you can see in the photos, I didn’t have the same experience myself. If you make this cake this weekend, come back and let me know what you think about it. I actually have another cake very similar to this one (but with a blackberry twist!) Was disappointment with my cake. The sugar is mixed with the cream cheese, so you shouldn’t have any trouble getting them to mix together. Also, the cream cheese frosting is way easier to make, so that’s a bonus! How did this cake turn out? My daughter is coming for a visit in a couple weeks and I promised her and my son that I would make it. I should know. This must be meant to be… I’m sitting here in my kitchen in Baton Rouge, wondering how on earth I will be able to pull off a stand-out strawberry cake (which I have never made), for my in-laws… and where do I land? Pastry flour is best for things like biscuits, scones or pie crusts…but I wouldn’t recommend it for cake. It would have tasted so much better, but I barely had any icing in between the layers. Repeat this step with the second layer of cake and more frosting. Thanks for the recipe! Yay! With all of this said, I’m planning on experimenting over the weekend with a more traditional cream cheese style frosting using powdered sugar. Hey Hannah! Don’t turn it into butter or anything, but whip it until it really gets thick. I apologize for not knowing the exact transfer amounts over to a sheet cake size. If you love blackberries, then give this Blackberry Cake a shot! I made this cake for my son’s birthday party yesterday and was a little disappointed at how the frosting turned out. **This recipe makes 5 cups** . With that in mind, I updated the recipe a bit as I hated that readers were making this cake and it wasn’t working out well. I hope you have a great weekend! Even that was almost too soft but ended up setting ok-ish in the fridge. Beautiful! Made this lovely cake for my daughter’s 5th birthday today.