André 3000 Drops Hand-Drawn Clothing Capsule After Being Forced To File Trademark, JAY-Z, Usher, Common, Tiffany Haddish & More Turning Out For Activist Icon Harry Belafonte's 94th Birthday, DaBaby Catches Lawsuit For Alleged Assault & Cell Phone Snatch. YG knows exactly what he's doing on the mic and does so to perfection. Still Brazy is his first departure from the isolated synth riffs of longtime collaborator DJ Mustard, but there isn’t much drop-off in chemistry. It was a given that YG would keep his affairs strictly hood and passing out floss flagging violations, coping with paranoia and crooked cops round out the table of contents throughout the album. YG – Still Brazy: Album Review YG is a west coast rapper born rapper from the city of Compton in California. These are the subjects that plague him on *Still Brazy. It isn’t a dubious statement to proclaim how its predecessor — 2014’s My Krazy Life — earned its placement amongst other California classics and while DJ Mustard’s absence is periodically felt throughout the 17-track project (see the plodding keys of the lifeless Drake and Kamaiyah-featured “Why You Always Hatin?” for example), it’s YG’s unfiltered honesty and gruff baritone that helps move the decent batch of Left Coast production right along. However, very few are as compelling as Mr. 400. Martin has been a fixture on the west coast scene for over a decade now, working on albums for Snoop Dogg, Warren G, DJ Quik, Kurupt, Murs and, more recently, every member of Black Hippy. Something’s Wrong. Still Brazy is just better in every way. At just 26 years of age, his rise has been steady but apparent as he moved from supposed one hit wonder with smash hit banger ‘My N***a’ … The hooks are wonderfully simple too, can't knock that. The cover art for Still Brazy withdraws from access, as it opens itself to the viewer. It was a debut … Review: Conway The Machine's 'From King To A GOD' Marks A Glow-Up For The Griselda Rapper, Review: King Von's 'Welcome To O'Block' Is A Breakout Performance From A Talent We'll Never See Flourish, Review: 'King's Disease' Is Food For True Nas Fans' Soul, Review: T.I. It felt like Still Brazy was supposed to be the last song because after that track this album took a sharp turn. YG proves that he has a place in the Hip-Hop game. Two years ago, YG (short for Young Gangsta) released his debut album, "My Krazy Life", to rave reviews. At Metacritic , which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, the album received an … Album Rating: 4.0 This will go down as YG's best album at this rate. If I hadn't known the three singles going into this I still would've picked them as my top three. Lead single, the breezy “Twist My Fingaz,” may have missed its chance to be placed in the G-Funk Hall of Fame due to lack of commercial airplay but the (lack of) visibility doesn’t overshadow its A-1 ability of being hard enough for the thugs but chill enough for ladies to dance to. YG turns to face us, the camera, as he moves past our lens, perhaps crossing a street, casing his surroundings, red-striped Where’s Waldo? Not only is Still Brazy, arguably the most sharply produced rap album of the year, emblazoned with the most pronounced storytelling of 2016, YG has un-apologetically used his gunshot as a metaphor for America in the time of Trump. AllMusic Review by David Jeffries [+] So crazy he follows up his 2014 debut My Krazy Life with Still Brazy, Compton rapper YG is a swaggering contradiction. Still Brazy far outpaces YG's last record, which was good, but this one is great. The New York Times: Still Brazy is an artisanal, proletarian Los Angeles gangster rap record, less tribute to the sound’s golden age than a full-throated and wholly absorbed recitation. YG is back in a BIG way. Alongside Iamsu!, P-Lo has been at the forefront of HBK’s hyphy revivalism movement. It was a surprise feature, but hearing his raw, unapologetic bark ignited my anticipation for Still Brazy. Indeed, he is “still brazy,” and it’s great! Then there's his flagrant political statement “FDT,” an anti-Trump anthem that seems designed specifically to be chanted defiantly at rallies. Compton rapper YG's follow up to 2014's My Krazy Life parts with DJ Mustard's snaps and dips into rich, classic g-funk, while YG grapples with the contradictions of being a celebrity gangster. YG’s debut My Krazy Life was a hardcore gangsta rap album, but the Compton rapper didn't present himself like a kingpin: On songs like “Sorry Momma,” he self-identified as a small-time house raider and set-claimer, a cog in a much bigger machine just looking to survive (and party in the meantime). *The album is mostly a status update, examining how the collision between YG the gangster and YG the semi-famous millionaire disrupts his life in Compton. It also helps that most of Still Brazy ’s coiled aggression is saved for better occasions, like the tense, noir-ish scene depicted in “Who Shot Me,” YG’s detail-oriented internal monologue mulling the circumstances that could’ve led to an attempt on his life, or the finale, “Police Get Away wit Murder,” which sends the album out on a blistering condemnation of cop-perpetrated violence. The preposterous quote is a complete about face on the unnerving sentiment found on “Who Shot Me?”, the most engrossing track found on Still Brazy. YG’s lyricism is nimble and straightforward but if there is any area that could use an improvement, it’s the song construction. It isn’t sequenced quite as carefully as My Krazy Life, which segued flawlessly from track to track, but it remains remarkably even. However, Still Brazy is, in the humble opinion of this reviewer, one of the best gangsta rap albums since gangsta rap’s late ’90s heyday. None of the beats were produced by DJ Mustard & the beats are still dope as hell. For the most, this works very well! Still Brazy solidifies YG as a torch-bearer for west coast gangster rap. It’s fine if YG wants to make politically charged music, but it’s a bad idea to randomly throw all of it at the end. In its replacement of feel-good party jams with protest music about race and sexual politics, S**till Brazy occasionally scans as My Krazy Life Goes Woke. He beats you over the head with his messages and then just does it again on the next song. YG - Still Brazy music album discussion and ratings. The incident left the already hardened Tree Top Piru with a coveted bragging right for many a untalented rapper but he immediately dismissed the subsequent press blitz by telling the world “it don’t matter” when asked who he assumed the failed marksman to be. But Still Brazy is as much a cautionary tale as it is a triumph. “Word is Bond” falls into the same category as the chorus gets stuck on the same record groove with no intent to keep it diverse. This is one of the best hip hop records I've heard in over 10 years. YG occasionally turns to socio-political material on Still Brazy, and when it works, like on “FDT (Fuck Donald Trump)”, it’s hard not to get behind his righteous anger. “I’m the only one who made it out the west without Dre/I’m the only one that's about what he say,” he raps on “Twist My Fingaz,” beating his chest in conquest. 's 'The L.I.B.R.A.' Since then he’s mostly used the attack to self-mythologize, boasting that he’s “hard to kill” and claiming that he left the hospital that night and continued working on his album the next day. That’s when the “braziest” up-and-coming-MC YG dropped his debut album, My Krazy Life. I generally love the musical direction, it sounds very much like some of the best of 90s gangsta rap. “Gang-related” shootings in Compton are sadly routine; when near the set of a YG video, they can be a coincidence or a coordinated assassination attempt. Two years ago, My Krazy Life surprised everyone. Compton (or should we say Bompton) rapper YG is back with his sophomore album Still Brazy, but for a minute the record could’ve never seen the light of day. Over a haunting DJ Swish instrumental that employs a creeping bassline dancing over guitar licks that heighten the cinematic effect, YG flexes a newfound penchant for storytelling when he relives his (most recent) brush with death: “I’m talking pictures on the shirt/When the shots went off I thought the spot was deserted/But nah everybody in the spot was just nervous/I don’t like that/Nah, I don’t like that we can’t go right back” before reverting back to an artic-cold demeanor with lyrics like “Niggas ain’t do no damage though/Nigga bounced up that muthafuckin’ hospital/That same night, walked that shit off.”, Which ultimately outlines while Still Brazy now reigns as Keenon Daequan Ray Jackson’s defining body of work. Make sure you typed in your email correctly. YG raps about the same overreach of powers and poor treatment that N.W.A rapped about almost 30 years ago, with a chorus of “We don’t give a f***/Police get away with murder!” “Still Brazy” may be unrepentant gangsta rap, but YG is well aware of the cost of the life he raps about, and the forces that drive people to it. Shop Vinyl and CDs and complete your YG collection. Still Brazy is a collection of YG's strongest tracks as he takes his trap and west coast sound into a g-funk and more political direction. Police believed the shooting to be gang related. YG is as committed to the album format as someone like J. Cole, who has made a career out of trying (and failing) to replicate the “classic rap album.” YG, on the other hand, is merely focused on making a cohesive project that is more than the sum of its parts. He’s a very efficient rapper who writes clearly and forcefully, but he isn’t out to offer solutions, just to ask questions and pose hypotheticals. Is Proof The Self-Proclaimed King Of The South Hasn't Lost His Edge, Review: With 'Burden of Proof,' Benny The Butcher and Hit-Boy Give A Celebratory Toast To Their Remarkable Runs, Review: Westside Gunn's Shady Records Debut 'Who Made the Sunshine' Has Inklings Of A Creative Genius, Review: 21 Savage & Metro Boomin's Villainy Music Comes Bigger & Better With 'Savage Mode II', Review: 'Extinction Level Event 2: The Wrath of God' Marks A Sharp Return In Busta Rhymes, Review: Dave East's 'Karma 3' Is A Testament To His Prolificness, Review: 'RTJ4' Marks Killer Mike & El-P's Most Powerful Statement Yet, Review: Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist’s ‘Alfredo’ Is A Premium Hip Hop Offering, Review: Young Thug & Chris Brown's 'Slime & B' Blesses Ladies With A Golden Summer Soundtrack, Review: Stove God Cook$ Delivers Masterful Lyrics Over Roc Marciano Beats On ’Reasonable Drought’, Review: Boldy James & Alchemist’s ’The Price Of Tea In China’ Is Headphone Caviar, Review: Singer Mia Jae Bares Her Soul On Termanology-Produced ‘Couple’s Therapy’, Review: Westside Gunn’s ’Pray For Paris’ Is His Most Inviting LP To Date, Review: Don Tolliver Steps Into The Spotlight On 'Heaven Or Hell', Review: Eminem's 'Music to Be Murdered By: Side B' Lyrics Coast Through Remarkably Familiar Territory, Review: YoungBoy Never Broke Again's ‘Top' Is His Most True-To-Self Album Yet, Review: Big Sean's 'Detroit 2' Is Borderline Average Despite Hit-Boy, Eminem & Travis Scott's Help, Review: Jerreau Hits An Artistic Stride On 'KEEP EVERYTHING YOUR SELF', Review: Bankroll Fresh Isn't Best Remembered On Posthumously Released 'In Bank We Trust', Review: Thundercat Has Fun Meditating On Existential Dread With 'It Is What It Is', Review: Skyzoo’s 'The Bluest Note' Showcases His Maturity With Solid Jazz Hip Hop, Review: Tory Lanez' The New Toronto 3 Gives His Quarantine Radio The Emphatic Soundtrack It Deserves, Jackboy Shows Promise But Lacks Restraint On Self-Titled Debut Album, Review: PARTYNEXTDOOR Offers Decompression Vibes On 'PARTYMOBILE' Album, Review: Lil Baby Proves His Hit-Making Skills Are Legit On 'My Turn' Deluxe Album, Review: Kehlani's 'It Was Good Until It Wasn't' Proves Her Worth But Never Dazzles. Two years later, YG returns with Still Brazy, bringing to the table a slimmer feature list (Lil Wayne and Drake are the only stars), and zero Mustard beats. isn’t as poetic in a song as it would be screamed at one of his rally’s. Reuniting with DJ Mustard was the worst thing he ever did for his career. He is replaced on the boards by DJ Swish, Heartbreak Gang co-founder P-Lo, 1500 or Nothin’, and jazz rap maestro Terrace Martin. Review: 'Still Brazy' Crowns YG As The Sole Gangster Rapper Of This Generation. Last month, shots interrupted the video shoot for his single “Thug” with rapper AD. West coast rapper YG returns with highly anticipated sophomore album, Still Brazy. HipHopDX writes up the official YG Still Brazy album review, showering it with praise. The flawless record will also go down as the moment YG sprayed his name on the wall with krimson Krylon and distanced himself from being boxed in as he spits “Hold up, I really got something to say/I’m the only one who made it out the west without [Dr.] Dre/I’m the only one that’s about what he say/The only one that got hit and was walking the same day.”. YG proves 'My Krazy Life' wasn't a fluke on the almost equally-satisfying 'Still Brazy.' Discover releases, reviews, credits, songs, and more about YG - Still Brazy at Discogs. !”) Aside from being a finely crafted personal statement, Still Brazy studies the psychology behind being a celebrity gangster, the ever-present fear of retaliatory violence, or the risk inherent in simply getting caught at the stop light on the wrong side of town sporting the wrong colors.