For the uninitiated, deep water culture (DWC) or raft systems use a tank with nutrient solution (fertilized either with fish waste or a hydroponic fertilizer). Here is a blog that can help you calculate seeding rates and density. https://university.upstartfarmers.com/blog/harvesting-handling-lettuce-longer-shelf-life, Here is a blog that can help you calculate seeding rates and density, How To Start Growing With The Kratky Method, How To Choose Fluorescent Grow Lights For Your Farm, Why Choosing Automated Dosing Systems is a Profitable Investment. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. “I’ve grown a wide variety of lettuce, but I mostly stick to the larger heads. Last year I grew bok choy and collards very well.”. Otherwise, low light, low airflow, or low nutrient levels (particularly nitrogen or potassium) could be the culprit. There is a lot of flexibility in what materials you can use. Preferable using recycled materials. However, for the main tub that we will be using you may need to do a little hunting. Small and lightweight plants are ideal. These systems are called DWC (Deep Water Culture) and have for a long time been a successful method for be I find that you absolutely need to support bigger plants some kind of way via cages or from an above-mounted platform with wires or strings. Bok choy is a little heavier than the rest of the crops on our recommended list for DWC. Will the raft be able to carry the weight? We will harvest some fresh during the summer, but once the water goes back down to the low 60’s it dies fairly quickly so we will harvest and dry the remaining. Butterhead (Sylvesta), bibb (Breen, Rhazes), romaine (Ridgeline), kale (Olympic Red, Toscano). Choosing crops? With a little temperature regulation, chard will produce delicious, buttery-tasting leaves. Don’t forget opportunity costs in your analysis. Growasis™ Modular Raft Systems What could be the problem? of the plant from primarily vertical to bushier. Lettuce, for example, is a popular DWC crop and the perfect size to fit on rafts. UVI is one of the pioneers of AquaPonics. it grow over my head in my garden soil and heavy rains always know the stalks to an angle. These lettuce raft boards are specifically designed for use in both aquaponic and hydroponic deep water culture growing systems. Brandon Youst poses in his food truck. Hi I’m looking to start a float raft farm. Now, let’s look at the basics of deep water culture (DWC), which is also commonly called raft culture or cultivation. Required fields are marked *. https://university.upstartfarmers.com/product/recommended-crops-list-best-crops-hydroponics. I can’t seem to find a firm answer anywhere. How do we tweak the nutrition levels in a floating Taft system according to the life stage of a plant as a plant is spending it’s whole life in the same pond? Like collard greens, sorrel in the outdoors is a cold growing crop, thriving in fall and winter conditions. issue i am facing is my lettuce leaves now have grown but the stem is too weak due to which my plants are lying flat on surface. The best crops for deep water culture are small and lightweight. Here are a couple resources you might find useful: Nutrient Deficiency Key, “Nutrient Deficiency: What’s Wrong With My Crop?“. Your email address will not be published. Hi Rahul, see the links page for more info on UVI. For the uninitiated, deep water culture (DWC) or raft systems use a tank with nutrient solution (fertilized either with fish waste or a hydroponic fertilizer). 4. Hi I have a DWC system on my koi pond. Due to its physical and chemical properties, expanded polystyrene (EPS) is a great choice for the floating raft. Gardena Water Smart Flow Meter $ 49.99; Hydrologic Tall Boy Replacement Sediment Filter $ 15.25; Hydrologic Small Boy Replacement Sediment … Each raft is 4'W(actual is 51")x16'L, this provides me with 256sq ft of growing space, with a an average of 30 plants per 1sq meter (10sqft), I should be able to have approx. okra ? A raft floats on top of the water, and plants on the raft dangle their roots into the solution below. (For instance, don’t leave 12 inches of space between sites if you’re growing romaine lettuce. It did very well in the cold temps so next year I’ll probably do a lot more.”. A regular DWC system has a fixed lid, whereas a raft system uses a polystyrene foam board that is suspended on top of your solution. We’ve put together this guide on deep water culture (DWC) to help you learn from our mistakes, and make the right choice of crops from the get-go. DWC = Deep Water Culture Deep water culture is one of the simplest methods, as it has no moving parts. Do market research before choosing crops! Our favorite variety is the Swiss “rainbow” chard. Be sure to match your plant site spacing on your rafts to your plant size. Your seedlings when grown in 1″ plugs fit directly into the 1″ tapered hole without falling through. For this project you need to find a tub that has straight walls all the way to the bottom. Everyone’s favorite superfood, kale is a great match for the DWC approach to indoor growing. ), >>Related: Critical Decisions That Lead to a Profitable Farm. Check out our course on Upstart University. Read about Brandon’s Kratky DWC system here. His success with the large aquaponic raft system has provided data, ratios, and management practices which laid a foundation for growers all over the world. Deep Water Culture (DWC), also known as Direct Water Culture or a raft/pond/float system, is a method of hydroponics in which roots of plants remain submerged in an oxygenated solution of nutrient-rich water. Check out our course on Upstart University for more information on managing an aquaponic DWC system. Period. Deep water culture offers the opportunity to grow this temperature-sensitive crop year round. I am not sure if the boards allow for more weight then a raft would, considering that polystyrene is pretty buoyant. Diagram depicts the materials and dimensions of the raft the author built. Chard is more susceptible to powdery mildew than some other crops, so look out for the white powder and take care of it proactively. Make sure that you: a) have a decent margin on the crop and b) have a place to sell the crop. Learn how your comment data is processed. The most labor intensive of our recommended DWC crops, basil is a unique plant. One helpful one is in the Best Crops for Hydroponics eBook: https://university.upstartfarmers.com/product/recommended-crops-list-best-crops-hydroponics. If you’re battling heat, I don’t recommend anything like lettuce or strawberries, which prefer cooler temperatures. I also intend to add additional 4'x4' DWC rafts … We’ve grown dozens of crop types and had our share of failure. Lettuce is a great first pick for new DWC growers. Each kind of crop possesses a number of positive and negative qualities and offers unique possibilities for each growing situation. material used to construct many commercial greenhouse. This is the place for the plants to grow. Plants grown in various grow plugs, rockwool or growgrips fit into the raft board. Be sure your rafts are sturdy and ready to handle the potential weight and don’t overload your operation with too many bok choy plants. Tomatoes will keep growing to twenty or thirty feet as you prune suckers and trellis them. With a short growing cycle and high market demand, we encourage any growers new to deep water culture to consider lettuce as an option for their farm. constructing a DWC. Resources are being developed from this product. Would it possible to grow root crops on a raft system? For orders greater than 21 boards please call 855-285-4252 to get the best shipping rate. Deep water culture system floats the planted crops on rafts above a bed of nutrient-rich water. Please contact us for more information. If you’re growing for commercial sales, you’ll want to ensure that the plant will provide you with a profit! Beaver Plastic Lettuce Rafts (Beaver Boards) are floating raft systems made with recycled food grade resins and are used to cultivate fabulous leafy vegetables and herbs in a deep water culture.The entire board is built on certified food grade resins, not just the skin. It is fair to say that polystyrene boards are the cheapest and easiest option in most instances. Would it be unrealistic to do a determinate tomato then? What is the best spacing for collards? Once the water temps go back over 62 or so, I will do a batch of basil which also does very well. Our friend Brandon Youst writes on his deep water culture success. Hi Yahya, DWC should be around 10–16 inches deep. Plants are supported on the raft with net pots or other tools like Grow Grips. Both will require a healthy amount of space on the rafts to thrive. FREE Shipping: Complete RaftMaster™ sets are shipped for free to anywhere within the continental United States. It’s hard to say what the problem is without more information. Planting okra is a bit unique, requiring soaking the seeds a few hours before planting. Okra is another great crop to wow your potential restaurant and grocery clients. I’ve grown okra before and it grows to a tall plant. Hey Jeff and Joni, okra does get relatively large and in a raft system you’ll have to cage or trellis it. The most labor intensive of our recommended DWC crops, basil is a unique plant. To help you make those decisions, we’ve put together a recommended list of crops for your raft system. What about arugula? While we don’t recommend basil for the newest growers, consider choosing basil as your second or third rotation of crops. Non-toxic. Harry—the planting density will depend on the crop. Both of these plants are durable. Last year I grew bok choy and collards very well.”, Choosing crops? We recommend the basic mustard bok choy variety, tatsoi (aka Broadbeak mustard), or Napa cabbage. Courses on this site are not intended to be a replacement for post-secondary education, nor will course completion lead in any way to a baccalaureate or other degree. The first thing you want to consider is your raft material followed by … WARNING! Kale and lettuce together make for a great first growing operation. for more information on managing an aquaponic DWC system. Even if it is biologically viable, that doesn’t mean that is is economically viable. Okra also has beautiful flowers and is sometimes used as an ornamental in public gardens. DWC systems function on a single horizontal plane since they are typically too heavy to stack. Read about Brandon’s Kratky DWC system here. Hydroponics raft , Extruded Polystyrene (xps sheet) for DWC system ₹ 550.00 – ₹ 550.00 – ₹ Exterior plywood is glued with a urea-based formaldehyde-containing glue that is a known toxic material. Unlike other systems of hydroponics, the nutrient solution is not made available to the roots at regular intervals. The boards are excellent for all leafy greens and lettuce production. Plants are supported within holes in the rafts by net pots. Deep water culture hydroponics or raft system is the method of growing plants by completely submerging the roots in nutrient solution. Your email address will not be published. The globetrotting lettuce is certainly one of the most popular crops in the world and makes a great addition to any deep water culture farm. Please see the video at the bottom of the page and the sizes. I see you mentioned okra as a DWC crop. The Beaver raft boards are made from food grade polystyrene, and designed specifically for leaf green crop production. DWC has been the preferred method of growing in commercial aquaponic farms for decades. If you are looking for plugs that fit perfectly into these rafts, we recommend our 128-plug grow trays. as priority i want to know more about dwc lettuce and the best conditions to achieve good results. A steady stream of basil means fresh pesto, caprese salads, and happy customers. You’re not entirely sure what crops to plant in your raft system (deep water culture system), but you’ve got some ideas. In this style of growing, the nutrient-rich water is circulated through long canals at a depth of about 8 inches while rafts (usually polystyrene) float on top. The investment required to support crops for greater than three months can be intimidating, but it means that you can likely charge a premium for these rare local crops. The only spinach I’ve found to work is tatsoi. Hi I’m stating an Aquaponics. The cost of setting up DWC is also low as most of the materials are readily available and cheap to procure. This gives the plants a buffer where they can uptake as much water or nutrients as they require. Upstart University is not an accredited institution of higher learning. This year we grew some celery in the fall through the winter which is about ready to be harvested. Growing cannabis in a DWC setup can have many benefits as compared to some other growing methods. While they are both durable and highly affordable, they can only take up to a certain weight once your plants begin growing. Selecting crops is a complex choice based on your individual growing situation. Well, I've been running the DWC with the fence boards and they seem to work great. Deep Water Culture or DWC aquaponics is a modern variation of one of the most ancient forms of hydroponics or aquaponics. The lettuce grow quite well but the leaves are very light green and not a nice dark green. You can quickly reference the information you need for sixteen of the most popular hydroponic crops in the Best Crops for Hydroponics. Welcome to Upstart University, the e-learning platform for aspiring farmers like you to plan, build, and operate your farm. This does mean, however, that you want to fill that horizontal plane efficiently. These will work great in any hobby scale or commercial scale system. We are unwilling to say that it’s not entirely possible, but it would likely be very difficult. ISMAEL WALLACE I've always been interested in boats and sailing, so one day I built a very small raft … You’ll waste a lot of space between plants.). Before you choose, remember that crop choice depends not only on climate, technique, and facilities but on your local market. If you have your heart set on spinach, though, you can grow it at 60-70ºF (don’t let it get higher than 75º), a pH of 5.5 – 6.5, and an EC or 2.0 – 2.5. Period. A staple of many dinner tables, collard greens are affordable, healthy, and delicious additions to any deep water culture operation. These crops are likely to present little competition from other local growers in your community. Hello DWC systems are set up similarly the way that ancient civilizations like the Aztecs and the earliest Asian cultures farmed. Lettuce rafts float in tanks filled with water and nutrients known as Deep Water Culture or DWC for short and cultivate healthy nutritious and locally grown produce for homes restaurants and markets. There has been discussion among attendees of our courses about alternatives to the Styrofoam rafts we use (which were approved for organic certification by Oregon Tilth), and some of this discussion involved using plywood for rafts or portions of rafts in the troughs. These deep water culture raft boards are 2’x4′ in size and have 28 holes per board which results in a fully planted density of 3.5 plants per sq ft. The flavor in these brands can be crisp, buttery, or tart. Deep water culture (DWC) is the growing of plants floating on top of nutrient and oxygen rich water. It’s important to do your market research before starting a farm. Clipping specific stems can change the growth. Upstart University Net potsare also used for added stability and to prevent the plant… You’ve got a basic business plan, a mentor to help you, and a growing facility. https://university.upstartfarmers.com/blog/harvesting-handling-lettuce-longer-shelf-life. Hey Aaron, not unrealistic, but maybe impractical. Sealed Surface Technology® Lettuce Raft resists water penetration, ensures durability and longevity, and gives growers a cost-effective system. More than a few growers claim these DIY DWC raft cloners are just as effective as the expensive aeroponic cloners that sell for hundreds. Snap peas and green beans are both large-statured crops, which would probably do better in a system with a little more support like Bato Buckets. The Lettuce Raft is ideally suited for deep water culture, floating your plants to success. The 2 x 4 foot rafts are paired with plug growing trays such as the Hortiblock 242/26 or a solid growing media. Before you choose, remember that crop choice depends not only on climate, technique, and facilities but on your local market. Sorrel is a unique crop that remains unfamiliar in most households. 'Hydroponics' in Greek can literally be broken down into the words 'water' and 'labor', so it makes sense that there are some purely aquatic hydroponic systems out there. Floating Raft Deep Water Culture. Plants are supported on the raft with net pots or other tools like Grow Grips. This will provide you with years of dependable use. For full functionality in this course and site, register here for an Upstart University Free Course Access membership, or become a Subscriber for full access. The temperature here is an average 30 and also goes to 40 in summers.with controlled poly tunnel I want suggestions on which plants I can grow. If the calculator below is not working, The 6′ kits are the base set and for each 2′ longer you want the bed, just add the appropriate extension kit. by Juan Valdez | Mar 14, 2017 | Technology, Materials & Equipment | 33 comments. Bok choy (and its cousin Tatsoi) is a popular Chinese cabbage that is a great choice for deep water culture. Basil is a product that restaurants and groceries prioritize. It's my "DWC 40" model w/ 40 spots for clones. Although I'm unsure as to what is an appropriate material to use for the raft. Plants are placed in holes on the rafts allowing their roots to dangle into the water. Check out our article on The Best Plants for Bato Buckets. Chard is a French green we recommend for its consistent demand. Can anyone think of a better material/design for the styrofoam raft that is cheap. On the other hand, thirsty plants like lettuce will thrive in DWC systems, so pick seed varieties that love water. Deep Water Culture (DWC) is a style of hydroponic growing that does not use a medium. Yes, arugula should do fine in a DWC aquaponic system. How can that be in a raft? For baby leaf crops in a DWC, what is the recommended planting density? I'm looking at adding one or two deep water culture beds to my system, it currently has three media beds providing excellent solids and bio filtration but I would like more growing space. Please check out this article for our best recommendations! Can we grow it in DWC aquaponics? In this system, you have a basin of water (5 gallon buckets are very common), and a floating raft (typically Styrofoam) with 2-3″ diameter holes cut for plastic net pots. what is going wrong with them? i have a query, I am growing butterhead lettuce in my raft along with cilantro and amaranth. What is a DWC (Deep Water Culture) system? Total cost on this was about 50 bucks in parts. I don’t want to spend too much on hydroponic systems hence prefer float raft systems. If you don’t have demand for your produce, you won’t make money. The collard green family refers to either cabbage or broccoli. In a deep water culture (DWC) method, also known as the raft method or floating system. Instead of recommending crops without any context or clear methodology, consider the important qualifications for your crops: Rafts are usually quite durable and affordable, but they can only support so much weight. DWC uses tanks or ponds to grow plants in … Drought loving plants and herbs (like rosemary) that prefer “dry feet” don’t do well in DWC systems. Don’t forget that both crops will grow rather large and heavy. Description In a deep water culture method, also known as the raft method or floating system, the nutrient-rich water is circulated through long canals at a depth of about 20 cm while rafts (usually polystyrene) float on top. Sorrel not only makes for a great addition to many dishes, but its beautiful flowering adds a lovely touch to any growing operation. There are hundreds of varieties of lettuce; favorites of the Upstart Farmers include green or red romaines, Amish Deertongue, Salanova, and mesclun mixes. 5. There is no need to go deeper than that. Chard is more susceptible to powdery mildew than some other crops, so look out for the white powder and, “I’ve grown a wide variety of lettuce, but I mostly stick to the larger heads. Chard is a French green we recommend for its consistent demand. After reading this guide, you’ll be on track to make the best selection for your deep water culture operation, no matter how large the scale. There are many options, including polystyrene sheets, plywood, foam or guttering pipe. Your choice will depend on the type of boating you're doing, your budget, and even your geographic location. ), bibb (Breen, Rhazes), romaine (Ridgeline), kale (Olympic Red, Toscano). The plants will stay for 14 days in propagation and then moved in DWC system for 7 more days until harvest (21 days from seed). I am considering using schedule 20 pvc pipe as framing and some other light excluding material over frame. In a DWC setup, the plants are suspended in special pots or nets, with their roots stretching down, immersed into a pool of aerated, nutrient-rich water. If the water is too shallow it can cause temperature and dissolved oxygen problems. Material needs to be waterproof, light, strong and UV redsistant. Dr. Rakocy at the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) was the first person to develop an aquaponic raft system (or DWC, deep water culture system) on a commercial scale. The beautiful and delicious okra is a common sight on tables and in gardens in the American South. The Lettuce Raft manufactured by Beaver Plastics is ideally suited for home small and large commercial hydroponic and aquaponic systems. Rob Torcellini of Bigelow Brook Farm writes on his DWC experience, “We mostly grow lettuce in our DWC. If you are interested in putting together your own hydroponic garden at home and want to start with a simple, foolproof method, a “lettuce raft” (also known as "deep water culture") system might be perfect for you. Do you have experience in iceberg lettuce in DWC setup? So you’re starting a farm. Learn more in the Four Markets course on Upstart U. If you don’t have demand for your produce, you won’t make money. Put simply, build a big tank, trench or pond and float some lightweight foam or Styrofoam rafts on it. Bulk pricing discounts will be reflected in the shopping cart. Although heirloom varieties are appealing, the more well-known and studied hybrids are a more consistent bang for your buck. Kale prefers cool temperatures and can be harvested either fully or partially by taking 30% of the plant at once. The raft is 1" thick rigid sheet foam insulation. hi I was wondering if you could plant snap peas or green beans in a dwc system. Great article. When building the DWC structure, I’d like to know what is the size of the water hole and how far should the hole be from the top of the liner to the center of the hole? The Beaver raft boards are made from food grade polystyrene, and designed specifically for leaf green crop production. This guide will walk you through a number of the best crops for deep water culture growing. You can quickly reference the information you need for sixteen of the most popular hydroponic crops in the, Special harvesting and planting considerations. Butterhead (Sylvesta. Our favorite variety is the Swiss “rainbow” chard. If you have limited space, consider a technique that can facilitate denser growing. The plant roots hang down in Compared to something like tomatoes, however, okra still has a pretty set limit on height. Durability and vitality make hybrid plants more viable in deep water culture than selectively bred heirloom plants. If you have abundant space, this won’t be as big of a problem. Raft Discussion. You don’t have to worry about watering schedules as your roots sit in the nutrient solution 24/7. This method is the most common for large commercial aquaponics growing  leafy green crops such as lettuce, kale, chard, mustard, collards, basil, mint and most herbs. Bok choy’s various strains show remarkable variation between seed varieties, so be sure you’re selecting the right plants when purchasing. how is that not a top heavy crop? Hey Rahul, anything listed as a warm-weather crop. All Rights Reserved. Hey Michael, it depends on the variety, but in general, you want about 12 inches from plant to plant since they grow quite large. Floating rafts or Deep Water Culture (DWC) is another AquaPonics technique, developed and promoted by the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI). Deep water culture is a different form of water culture in hydroponics. Larger crops like tomatoes grow top-heavy. This allows growers to get higher yield and better plants for displays but can take some practice. The choice of floating raft material is important in hydroponics. is a 15 gallon Sterilite tote. Lettuce is one of the most easy-growing plants in any farming operation, and DWC is no different. support@upstartuniversity.net, Introduction to the Aquaponic Raft System, Get the Scoop on How to Grow Hydroponic Fennel, Everything You Need to Know About Growing Chard Without Soil. The res. Thank you. And I would like to know how many cucumber plant can be grown in a 30×10 cucumber dedicated tunnel and approximately how many cucumbers can I expect? Nutrient Deficiency: What’s Wrong With My Crop? If the water is too deep, you will pay more for water movement than you need to. Like kale, chard can be harvested either fully or partially. Floating raftsare usually constructed from styrofoam or other lightweight material lined with foam. We’ve been growing successfully on these boards at our aquaponics farm for years and they are simply fantastic! We’ve had very good luck with an heirloom variety called Crisp Mint which we buy from Seed Savers. as priority i want to know more about dwc spinach and the best conditions to achieve good results. hi, i am planning on starting a dwc for spinach and lettuce and a few other crops. 768 plants along with those in the grow beds. Copyright 2020 The Aquaponic Source | All Rights Reserved |, HANNA WATERPROOF ORP/PH/TEMPERATURE TESTER, Hydrologic Tall Boy Replacement Sediment Filter, Hydrologic Small Boy Replacement Sediment Filter, Growasis Ground Level Modular Raft Systems. While  most aquaponic farms employee deep water culture raft based systems, rafts can also be added to extend the function of media bed aquaponic systems. (If Crop A can offer you a decent income, don’t forget that there might be a Crop B that can offer you more. Chard makes for a durable, tasty, and easy-to-grow crop in deep water culture operations. The only spinach I’ve found to work is tatsoi. In a deep water culture (DWC) method, also known as the raft method or floating system. I have lettuce rafts with hole spacing 4″ apart. Copyright ©2020 by Plenty. Dwc Foam Floating Raft 120 X 60cm With 72 Holes , Find Complete Details about Dwc Foam Floating Raft 120 X 60cm With 72 Holes,Eps Foam Raft,Hydroponic Custom Shape Foam Board,Dwc Foam Floating Raft 120 X 60cm With 72 Holes from In-solar Greenhouses Supplier or Manufacturer-Changzhou Dengyue Sponge Co., Ltd. You can probably make a sprawling, tangled plant grow in DWC – but you’ll pay for it in pruning and wrangling it into shape, a messy grow area, etc. In this article, we will walk you through how we built a table top floating raft deep water culture (DWC) system using re-purposed plywood, insulation foam, pondliner, and styrofoam boards on a steel table made from angular bars and steel mesh. Picking the right raft is, like many things, complicated with a dizzying array of whitewater rafts for sale. The Right Aquaponics Floating Raft Material The bottom line is that the material you use will depend on what type of setup you have, your current budget and your level of experience. I also will grow some green and red oakleaf but the primary is Crisp Mint. Without the root anchoring provided by a dense media, top-heavy plants can fall over or break at the stems. Some varieties will grow fairly flat against the raft. Also known as deep flow technique (DFT), floating raft technology (FRT), or raceway, this method uses a rectangular tank less than one foot deep filled with a nutrient-rich solution with plants floating in Styrofoam boards on top. This allows growers to get higher yield and better plants for displays but can take some practice. what are the best crops to grow in india .. in a hot country, Hey Monica, read through some lists of hot weather crops to get some ideas. With these qualifications in mind, here are a few recommended crops that can make your DWC operation great. hi, i am planning on starting a dwc for lettuce and cabbage and a few other crops. Clipping specific stems can change the growth direction of the plant from primarily vertical to bushier. This means that you have a 1:1 volume to growing area ratio. This method allows you to grow an abundance of small, lightweight crops such as lettuce, spinach, endives, or herbs such as basil, parsley, and cilantro. Slightly bitter, sorrel is commonly used in cream- or sauce-based dishes where the slight acidity of the plant can be managed by dissolving. Spinach can be a tough crop to grow commercially since the yield isn’t real high and not all markets are willing to pay a favorable price for it. A raft floats on top of the water, and plants on the raft dangle their roots into the solution below. The boards are made with a Sealed Surface Technology® which resists water penetration and ensures durability and longevity. Once you have market research done, you can consider other factors. Grow time: Broccoli 7–8 weeks, cabbage 7–8 weeks from seed. Deep Water Culture (DWC) is a method of hydroponic growing that I argue is easier than growing in soil. Will it for the head normally? No need for additional net pots with media and all of the time and mess of cutting holes into Dow insulation blue board. Hi, The plant roots hang down in the nutrient-rich, oxygenated water, where they absorb large amounts of oxygen and nutrients which contribute to rapid growth conditions.