wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Water damage can warp wood, destroy particle board, and also cause mold to grow throughout your home. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. The door and hinge came off the cabinet base and tore a part of the particle board off with it. I wanted to change the color of my bathroom, "Delighted to discover that this is a project I can do! We've been helping billions of people around the world continue to learn, adapt, grow, and thrive for over a decade. This is a very strong adhesive and difficult to remove. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. For each step in this process, repeat the action with your doors and drawers. Apply wood glue to the raw particle board and clamp the two pieces together overnight. Oil-based paint is thicker than acrylic and will result in a shinier finish. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. (Find Out Now! You can use the brush to paint all of your cabinet’s surfaces if you want this texture. Can I get a tip on how to repair a wood composite kitchen cabinet? wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Don’t forget about your doors and drawers! % of people told us that this article helped them. Do not use an orbital sander on wood veneer panels. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/a\/a8\/Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-12-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-12-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/a\/a8\/Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-12-Version-2.jpg\/aid2602983-v4-728px-Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-12-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2021 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. It sounds easy, because it is easy. Sand them slightly softer than you normally would to avoid cracking or peeling the veneer. When it comes to the actual repairs, you are going to need to remove any mold you see, scrape away the damaged parts of your cabinet, fill in any holes with a wood filler, and then top it with paint. I will send pictures when completed. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. Alternatively, you may ignite the particle-board using a heat gun to raise the temperature. also. However, it is much more prone to moisture damage as compared to hardwood, plywood, or Oriented Stran… Particle board is generally pretty glue-able. The same applies to the undersides of your cabinet, although many people choose to refinish the undersides of the upper cabinets to make them uniform. Please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. You might need more than 1 coat of paint to achieve the color you want. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/b\/b2\/Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-16.jpg\/v4-460px-Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-16.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/b\/b2\/Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-16.jpg\/aid2602983-v4-728px-Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-16.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2021 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. Using a knife, cut out the swollen and damaged parts of the material. That being said, you could use stain on top of your paint to give it an antiquated appearance. Then, squeeze the cyanoacrylate glue over the edge of the broken piece, completely saturating the area where the broken piece and the rest of the cabinet meet. Jon- I had the same problem when I replaced the dishwasher in my home, I found the steam had caused the particle board to break down. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/ef\/Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-2-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-2-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/ef\/Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-2-Version-2.jpg\/aid2602983-v4-728px-Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-2-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2021 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/6\/6e\/Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-8-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-8-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/6\/6e\/Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-8-Version-2.jpg\/aid2602983-v4-728px-Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-8-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2021 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. If your particle board cabinets are looking worse for wear, you can easily refinish them yourself. It will help protect them over a longer period of time, though. They tend to accumulate paint and drip. ", exactly what I need to do. ", "Very helpful and considerate for the average amateur. After your final coat has dried, apply a layer of clear varnish to protect the paint. You don’t have to vacuum the floor if you don’t want, but you may knock up some of the dust into your paint as it’s drying. Can I put a clear coat of lacquer or polyurethane on my sanded particle board? If you’re worried about getting paint on your countertop, lay an additional drop cloth over the counter to keep it dry. First, you will need to sand the particle board by using 100 grit sandpaper, and a pad sander. I have here the piece to be glued back on, some wood glue, 2 clamps and a block with painter’s tape on one side. Here’s what you need to do: Particle board will last you anywhere from three to five years, depending on the user and how well the board is taken care of. This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. While they may look and feel cheap, your cabinets are probably stronger than you think. I was at her apartment hanging some pictures and she asked if I could put the door back on. There are 18 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. The veneer should bond firmly. Tip: If you have any outlets built into your backsplash or cabinets, remove the faceplates using a screwdriver and put a piece of tape over the outlets. If you don’t want to leave this texture behind, paint over the edges of your brush strokes with the roller. Take out any items in your cabinets and look for stuff that can be saved. Sometimes, you might also see it inside a building as part of a basement's layout. You can label each drawer by describing where it goes or you can assign each row a letter and number your drawers and doors. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published, This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. You do not have to seal your cabinets if you don’t want to. Why you sleep poorly and what to do about it. If you bought flood insurance, a quick call to your insurance agent will help get the ball rolling. The door and hinge came off the cabinet base and tore a part of the particle board off with it. So, if you have particle board that was penetrated and damaged by water, you should weigh the age factors before trying to repair it. If you don’t sand, your paint job may look uneven and clunky. wikiHow, Inc. is the copyright holder of this image under U.S. and international copyright laws. If there is one thing that homeowners dread, it’s water damage. Make sure you don’t set the clamps too tight as this may cause the cement to ooze out of the sides and create a huge mess. To start, remove the drawers and doors and label each piece that you remove to make reinstallation a breeze. Believe it or not, fixing particle board cabinets is actually an easy and affordable task. This image may not be used by other entities without the express written consent of wikiHow, Inc.
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/e3\/Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-9-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-9-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/e3\/Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-9-Version-2.jpg\/aid2602983-v4-728px-Refinish-Particle-Board-Cabinets-Step-9-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":728,"bigHeight":546,"licensing":"

\u00a9 2021 wikiHow, Inc. All rights reserved. That’s what makes flooding such a nightmare to deal with. Win-win. Other than being slightly easier to work with, there aren’t any major differences between how you finish particle board and hardwood cabinets. Your brush strokes will leave a slight texture behind. That only means one thing – you have a moisture problem! You will then need to apply contact cement where you flattened the board as well as on the back of the laminate and let it sit for about five or ten minutes. In this case, your only option is to replace your cabinetry and learn from mistakes. Sand your cabinets, then apply an oil-based primer to prepare them for painting. Every dollar contributed enables us to keep providing high-quality how-to help to people like you. Then, use the disc to sand your cabinets. First things first: you’ve got to understand exactly how serious the … If your particle board is swollen due to water damage then there are some steps you can take to fix it. Even so, it’s often better to be safe than sorry, don’t you agree? Variaton: If you want to save yourself some work, get an orbital sander from your local hardware store. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Though you might initially assume that your particle board cabinets are gone for good, this is rarely ever the case. Ossiana Tepfenhart is an expert writer, focusing on interior design and general home tips. Attach a 120-grit disc to the sander and turn it on its lowest power setting. For more tips, including how to repair damaged or chipped areas before you paint your cabinet, read on! If the particle board has disintegrated, you will need to … This image is not<\/b> licensed under the Creative Commons license applied to text content and some other images posted to the wikiHow website. Concrete steps are one of the most common things you'll see on the outside of a building. Always worried about my least favorite "wood", "It's great. Detach the doors of the cabinets to minimize pressure on the wet material. This process is relatively simple compared to other forms of water damage remediation, which makes it a huge relief to people who have been affected by flooding.