Would you tell me which products can be used to try the take off? Whether this situation would persist after months or years exposed to the elements is something that I simply can't model though, so if you do this, I would suggest checking it a day later, a week later, a couple of months later, etc. https://www.homedepot.com/p/QuakeHOLD-Museum-Putty-88111/100143045 I'm also having a problem with my items being stuck. I work at a computer from home all day, and I have pet allergies (and two cats), so I'm constantly reaching for a tissue while I'm working. For use on non-porous objects only. It is called Quakehold, a substance commonly called museum putty. So, perhaps the safest approach is to use Quakehold/Museum putty primarily for the purpose of sticking things down, and Amazing Stuff/Quake Secure as a preferred product if you want to use it on non-glossy painted walls. No anonymous comments. Your information will never be shared with outsiders. I received this within 2 days. You presumably say Dean Reese's note about the fishing line being used like dental floss. We've had his things in a show before and the Museum Wax that the organizer used was hard to remove and did leave slight stains on the bottoms of some of the wood pieces. In other parts of the instructions, there are caveats about use on porous surfaces, and various people have reported oil stains on flat paint walls as mentioned above. Can also be used on the back of pictures to keep them straight. Pull off amount needed, roll it in your fingers until soft, apply to base of object. Eventually, the stains blended out into the wood and are now not noticeable, but it upset my husband at the time. In fact, the area covered by putty was still completely dry when I peeled it off. May stain porous materials. Hi Matt. Museum Putty can prevent that! Well, I'm really sorry that some folks are having these problems; it's news to me and I've never experienced it. Gel Clear Museum Wax Museum Putty QuakeHold! Actually, I wonder if actually using dental floss, the waxed variety, would work; not sure. If you had a little water at the seam that would flow into the slightest gap, I wonder if that would help. Soak a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol, or vinegar. I have a similar question. I will have some hanging art but I am concerned about stains on the painted walls. You'll also see a skirt of gel surrounding the base of the object after a while if you used too much gel, which you probably will, so be prepared to gently scrape that away with a triangle of cardboard or something like that; it's easy.If the surface is unfinished wood, the gel won't stick well; it needs non-porous surface. The more finished the wood shelf is, the less this is a concern. And I have Christmas decorations that I would like to set out....they are "breakable." If you are using it to hold the lower corners of a framed picture, make sure that the picture is mainly being supported by a hook or equivalent. Actually, the silver lining to your situation is that you want to repaint the shelf, so it's probably ok to scratch it up a bit trying to remove this stubborn stuff. Collector's Hold! 88111 Museum Putty secures antiques, collectibles and more from falling and breaking. We have 3 children and 7 grandchildren plus their spouses, so we give a lot of gift cards for birthdays, Christmas etc. I prefer poster putty; it leaves a matte residue on wood, but you can minimize that with a crumpled piece of brown paper bag. Interesting; I have not encountered that in the past. Fact-checking, ethics & corrections policy. Do not above all put on wallpaper." By continuing to use our site, you consent to accepting cookies. To secure gift cards inside greeting cards. No spam, just interesting, helpful information. Personally, I have found the Amazing Stuff to be softer and stretchier than the Quakehold putty, meaning that the Quakehold putty is easier to reuse without the "chewing gum on the shoe" effect. I will make some inquiries and update this comment in the next few days, so check back!Also, I should emphasize again that use on a vertical surface should not be intended as the main structural support for anything heavier than a poster. The gel is the best option in my opinion for glass or crystal on a non-porous surface like glass or plexiglas. Thank you for your other great hints,Barbara Andrews. It should be noted, we do get some sunshine into the space. It’s a pliable putty that comes in strips which you pull apart like play-doh, work (knead) a few minutes to get warmed up and then roll into little balls that you put underneath the object you’re securing. To use an X11 server, you need to check the Enable X11 forwarding box and enter localhost:0.0 in the X display location box. I have experience with Museum Wax (very strong stuff) and Quakehold Clear Gel (not nearly as strong). )However, for feline considerations, it's really hard to predict without knowing how heavy and stable the vase is, and how active the cat is. If it's visible, then quake gel will PROBABLY work (not seeing the finish of the wood, it's hard to know for sure). Boondockers’ dream: Portable device makes water from air! Thanks, I saw this as it was coming in. 96 Pieces Museum Putty for Walls Adhesive Poster Reusable Sticky Tacky Wall Putty Removable Non-Toxic Mounting Tacky Putty for Wall Museum Poster Art Photography (White) 4.5 out of 5 stars 40. You can stick parts into a blob of it that you are gluing together, parts you want to paint or otherwise treat, and you can use it as an impromptu tool/parts holder/pin cushion. Putty secures objects from falling and breaking. Thanks for the comment. I'll try this and let you know how it went. PuTTY does not implement an X11 server (the display side), but it can work with some other product that implements X server functionality on Windows. Regardless of this potential revenue, unless stated otherwise, we only recommend products or services we believe provide value to our readers. Remove by twisting and lifting from base. The putty sets within 30 minutes and comes off cleanly with no mess. The more porous something is, the harder it can be to get the putties to stick well. Hi again,Unfortunately, the scupture is still stuck to the granite counter top. I have some clear plastic blinds-cord ties on the side of our windows, against white paint, and the metal screw looks really bad so I have packed quake putty into the screw hole in the clear plastic to cover the head of the screw; and with the sun shining on it every afternoon, I have noticed it running a bit and have to smudge it back up a few times per year. There is, however, a solution to this tedious chore. It just makes the gob get sticky also! Perhaps you could even reply to this thread in a few months if you do this to let us know your results.Of course, if you see an excited squirrel laughing and running off with your precious object, then you'll have your answer sooner. Only the packaging is different. This stuff really does work. It works on finished wood. I've never actually tried to cover such a large area with the gel, but I'll bet it makes for quite a seal! So, the first consideration is, are these art pieces fine art or more consumer level art/figurines/knick-knacks? "What a great idea. And did you use small bits of putty under several places or does the entire base have a thin layer of putty under it? Thank you! For regular seismic considerations, I'm pretty sure the quake putty will work with that combination, but if you can see the bottom of the vase, you'll see the putty assuming the glass vase is clear enough. Username 5. On the other hand, the product into for Amazing Stuff and Quake Secure (which are two names for the same product) both make a much stronger marketing pitch for the use on walls; rather than an afterthought; they market their product for quake securing and for wall use. Thanks for this! I think quake putty would be better than gel if you are suspect the cat might be frequently brushing up against the vase. Fine art is a special case because one sometimes does not want to mar even the bottom surface of them, so there may be concerns about minor oily marks or paint discoloring on the bottom that would not bother people with most objects.Assuming these are more standard decorations, let's take these one at a time. None of the items have a surface over 5 inches. I still have the original jar that I bought decades ago, and it has almost half the original amount left - that's how little I use each time. I've done exactly what you describe to try to prevent light picture frames from falling off of shelves, although my shelves have been laminated rather than painted, so it was never a problem. Provide it and click OK to add the key. Well, turns out that command strips can lose adhesion to the duct tape material after a couple of years, at least in a humid bathroom. Lightly press object to surface. To apply, roll the opaque putty into small pea-sized balls or strips and apply to the base of your item, then press the item down lightly and twist into position. These have been in a upper cabinet which has strip lights. The Museum Putty is a tinted version of Museum Gel which is clear. Household putty (aka Sticky Tack, Blu Tack, mounting putty, museum putty) is one of those products that can solve a slew of household predicaments in a matter of seconds. I put the strips on the trim so there was not a lot of surface area, and they failed after a couple of years also; lesson learned.Hope this helps! I don't have any experience using quake putty outdoors, so I am not sure what happens to the tackiness when subjected to variations in temperature and humidity, including expansion and contraction of the objects. Regarding the paint, I don't have any direct experience, but considering the types of tree- and bird-produced junk that have left ghost marks on my car's paint if not removed soon enough, I'd be concerned about that problem as well. If not what will? It will come off with a combination of dabbing, pulling, and rolling with a larger piece of QuakeHold Museum Putty as your magnet. NOTE THAT COMMENTS THAT ARE ACTUALLY ADVERTISEMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED. The server’s IP address 4. But you still get a mess when […] (Responses might be delayed depending on when I am able to respond.). FREE Shipping on orders over $25 … As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. ).Ceramic and silver vases to glass: assuming people can't look up through the bottom of the glass, the putties will be easier to deal with than the gel. (I will be able to follow up on your answer within 24 hours.). I also have a few art pieces that are black and white painted wood that would need to be secured down on the bottoms...some to glass surfaces, some to wooden surfaces (like a wooden shelf in our bathroom) so I am thinking I may need two products?? COMMENT POLICY: Comments on blog posts can be very useful, raising issues and adding helpful information. First though, I am not sure which product you used, was it Museum Wax or actually Museum Gel? . This is perfect to protect valuables during natural disasters. However, some people attempt to post generic comments with embedded links to irrelevant websites. I have a small wood object I want to place on top of a stump. The main things I use it for are:1. Remove by twisting and lifting from base. When placed on the bottom of an object it will keep the object in place (temporarily “glued” to the surface it sits on) until forcefully removed. My experience with putty and heating has been basically the opposite; I've had it soften and melt a bit. I’ll be shopping with you again. Hello, I have an unusual problem, it seems. It only happens when first applied. You might need to sand it first. In the space provided for the IP Address, copy here the address of the machine that you wish to access. I’ll be curious to hear how it worked. So it does tend to flow if you have too much of it. It can be used on most surfaces, including ceramics, porcelains and laminates, as well as on walls to help stabilize pictures. I contacted Dean Reese, who is the CEO of ReadyAmerica, which is associated with QuakeHold. I've had that experience also. It's not as strong as sticking it to a finished surface but it works. Thank you! Now, probably ten years later, I want to repaint the shelf, but when I removed the picture frame from the shelf, I could see that all the Museum Putty had "melted" and won't come off the shelf or off the bottom edge of the picture frame. The goopy putty area is about 12 inches long and 1 inch wide. The information contained herein does not necessarily reflect the views of UCSF or the San Francisco Public Library. Brands vary and some may be better than others. !l We guard your privacy. They both stuck, and I held it under running water sideways for about half a minute (just a bit, we have a drought here!) I have a house full of rescue kitties that won't be going anywhere, as their "issues" make them unadoptable. Will any liquid solvent disintegrate this mess? Museum putty is great. I have encountered this kind of problem before with various objects and there are a few different strategies. We love a good multi-use product. By the way, was the sculpture originally stuck down with small pieces of the gel in the corners/edges, or spread throughout the entire area of the base? If piece has signature, avoid doing that in signature area. QUAKETIPS: A blog companion to Matt Springer's recurring San Francisco-based presentation, One follow-up: While I have had good results using quake putty on painted walls to stabilize pictures (that are being mainly supported with a hook), there are some reports of quake putty that has been on a wall for a long time leaving either an oil mark or a residue when it is finally removed. Then you can use Windex or simple green to remove completely. I'm not sure what kinds of solvents might work, although goo-gone is many people's go-to goop remover. Will this gel stabilize weather vanes on my balcony and prevent them fromfalling when it is windy? Use it on glass, crystal, vases, figurines and ceramics. Navigate to the location of the putty.ppk file you created in the previous steps, select it and click Open. None of this has worked, and I'm moving in less than two weeks. The aft deck on my RG65 is also the radio board (exposed servos.) I checked with the folks at Quakehold, who said, "Not recommended for flat, semi- flat painted surfaces… Any surface porous or absorbent could also leave oil residue. 99. I am planning on purchasing some Quakehold Museum putty. We live in metro L.A. and just had a 4.8 quake that rattled things a little too much for my piece of mind and I need to be prepared after acquiring some art pieces for a new office space. The uses are endless and now with a tinted version I can secure more items in place!! Adhesive putty is a safer alternative as far as your walls are concerned, but can still be tricky to clean. The suggestions contained in this website and in Matt Springer's presentations will substantially reduce the chances of an earthquake causing damage or injury, but cannot guarantee that problems will not still occur due to factors including but not limited to extreme seismic conditions, unexpected structural problems, bracing material flaws, or inadequate installation. However, that's me trying to remove an object in one piece from the shelf or whatever it's on. Hi I was wondering which you recommend most for securing glass or ceramic and silver vases to glass-the museum wax or the quakehold gel? Step 10: You”ll be navigated to the “PuTTY Configuration”. 2. Keep vases, standing photographs and other fragile decor safe and in place with Quakehold museum putty. There are different products and that may vary by product. Can be re-used countless times. Thanks, those are great other uses! I have had the items attached for 10 years and now it's time to move and they won't budge. Save my name and email in browser cookies for the next time I comment so I won't have to enter that information again. Sorry to be delayed with this; it's been a non-stop week and I wanted to be able to give it sufficient thought. See my earlier post about maze picture hooks at http://quaketips.blogspot.com/2011/04/amazing-story-from-past-and-more-about.html. Just want to secure it so it doesn't get knock off by an excited squirrel. There is a knack to using it in the trailer because of the heat when it is not being used. Apply it but after the trailer gets really hot, “roll” the excess that melts from under the object to remove. Learn how your comment data is processed. Museum Wax will keep that squirrelly mascara applicator standing on end ready for its close-up, and just think of the stop motion animation potential. This super-strong putty adheres to almost any surface and is reusable and dry-safe. All I could suggest is that rotating is usually the way to free these products, so perhaps having two people, one flossing and another rotating, could do it. The other was a pair of small photo frames that were hard plastic, but there was a trim rather than a completely solid flat back. To our readers: We NEVER have or will sell reader's data. Works perfect on wood that is sealed, glass or other hard surfaces. Five years ago I glued it down with Museum Putty and a couple of months ago I pulled it to change servos. Putty keeps its shape, but that little tub of gel will slowly move to fill space and if you store it tilted, the surface will be tilted. Dental floss can help loosen something when is it stuck, but please avoid the temptation to overdo it! In the case of china, pottery, ceramic, or wooden items the putty is preferred. Thank you for selling great items. TO USE: Take a small piece of putty and roll into a ball. This will not show on your comment but is for us to contact you if necessary. I tried scraping it, but it's just so sticky! If your comment is taking a while to show up, it probably just means that I have not checked my e-mail yet. The product instructions online include the note that it can be used on walls to help stabilize pictures. I just don't know if they will remain stuck on hot days, humid days, or if the stump and object are in the rain.I just tried putting a little Quakehold putty and Amazing Stuff on the bottom of an unfinished bamboo cutting board and sticking little unfinished wooden bowls to them. Stick a bead of Museum Wax on the tip of your screwdriver and insert that screw with one-handed surgical precision. Removable, reusable, and non-toxic Quakehold! Removable, reusable and non-toxic Museum Putty secures antiques, collectibles and more from falling and breaking. I have a number of pre-Colombian clay vases and figurines that I want to display on finished wood tabletops and shelves, and I want to make sure these survive the occasional shaker we get here in Southern California.