Reviewed in the United States on June 23, 2017. Of course Pulitzer Prize winner Jimmy Breslin recognized Burton Kaplan right away as the Mafia witness of the ages. JB also portrays the mob's stranglehold on snow removal at JFK airport. There's other books available on the same subject that is more factual and in an orderly manner. Jimmy Breslin was born in Jamaica, Queens. But I declared that it took tremendous courage and talent to do the story. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. "The Good Rat" is an entertaining and fast reading story of the New York Mafia. His voices are true and mundane and colorful. That is one of the one liners at which this author excels. The Good Rat: A True Story has 8 available editions to buy at Half Price Books Marketplace Publication Date: February 1, 2009; Genres: Nonfiction, True Crime; Paperback: 304 pages; Publisher: Harper … The Good Rat: A True Story by Jimmy Breslin . Unable to add item to List. His bestselling and critically acclaimed books include The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight; Can't Anybody Here Play This Game? Please try again. ; The Short Sweet Dream of Eduardo Gutiérrez; several anthologies; and the memoir, I Want to Thank My Brain for Remembering Me. Shop Now. Non-Breslin readers may find the (over)use of court transcriptions as... errr... lazy. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2021, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Please try again. There had been so many years when it was so secret that nobody knew it existed. These quiffs took part in 8 gangland killings. This is one of the more difficult books to judge. Condition is Good. And Breslin describes Federal prosecutor Diane Giacalone as a "soft flower and a bundle of steel wiring". Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, $12.30 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to France. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. That is one of the one liners at which this author excels. And, in such memorable terms.” -- New York Daily News. Facing hard time, Kaplan rats out two of the most heinous bad guys we may ever read about. "The Good Rat" is an entertaining and fast reading story of the New York Mafia. In his inimitable New York voice, Pulitzer Prize winner Jimmy Breslin gives us a look through the keyhole at the people and places that define the Mafia—characters like John Gotti, Sammy "the Bull" Gravano, Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso (named for his weapon of choice), and Jimmy "the Clam" Eppolito—interwoven with the remarkable true-crime saga of the good rat himself, Burt Kaplan of … More By and About This Author. Facing hard time, Kaplan rats out two … ; The Short Sweet Dream of Eduardo Gutiérrez; several anthologies; and the memoir, I Want to Thank My Brain for Remembering Me. Given that background, the story is good overall. The Good Rat: A True Story | Jimmy Breslin | download | Z-Library. There is a long tradition of good, solid New York cop/Mafia tales but the "Good Rat" can stand with any-and at hardcover prices no less. Author Jimmy Breslin, who has spent his writing life among and about tough guys, has no use for these two losers. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. : The Improbable Saga of the New York Met's First Year, I Want to Thank My Brain for Remembering Me: A Memoir, Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires, The World According to Breslin by Jimmy Breslin (1988-11-01), Breslin, renowned journalist and author of, “Breslin put his notes to brilliant use in a colorfully nuanced depiction of Burt Kaplan. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. How easy it must have been for these cowards with badges to lure victims to their demises. 0120-0100000. Breslin thoroughly skewers NYPD for issuing badges to Caracappa and Eppolito. Jimmy wrote about the streets and told the untold stories. This is the most convoluted mess that I have ever tried to read. This was a great book but a great old school beat writer. Breslin writes with a sure hand in this one. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. Breslin thoroughly skewers NYPD for issuing badges to Caracappa and Eppolito. Most compelling of all, Breslin captures the moments in which the Mafia was made and broken—Breslin was there the night John Gotti celebrated his acquittal at his Ravenite Social Club on Mulberry, having bribed his way to inno­cence only to incite the wrath of the FBI, who would later crush Gotti and others with the full force of the RICO laws. Eppolito, we are informed, "had the shoulders of a goat". Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 29, 2013, fantastic, really happy with this because its great, brilliant, magical, fabulously wonderful, superb, im totally ecstaticly over the moon YESSSSSSSSSS. Brief content visible, double tap to read full content. Reviewed in the United States on June 23, 2017. His style is that of a newspaper man; punchy. The Good Rat: A True Story has 8 available editions to buy at Half Price Books Marketplace Full content visible, double tap to read brief content. This was a great book but a great old school beat writer. Reviewed in the United States on August 14, 2017. Incredibly, Ms. Giacalone's boss-one Andrew Maloney- knew of the jury rat and did nothing! How thin is that line twixt law enforcement and law breaking? Author Jimmy Breslin, who has spent his writing life among and about tough guys, has no use for these two losers. You know these people. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. Find books She hailed from Gotti's Ozone Park turf. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. How thin is that line twixt law enforcement and law breaking? He reported so many organized crime stories that he was on a first-name basis with most of its key figures. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. "The Good Rat" is an entertaining and fast reading story of the New York Mafia. Unable to add item to List. The tabloid columnist Jimmy Breslin covered the New York mafia for decades. There is a long tradition of good, solid New York cop/Mafia tales but the "Good Rat" can stand with any-and at hardcover prices no less. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. That is in Queens. This item will ship to United States, but the seller has not specified shipping options. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. Breslin writes with a sure hand in this one. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. They would be Louis Eppolito and Steven Caracappa, two New York cops in the pocket of the Mafia. That is an honorable Brooklyn neighborhood. The graphics on the inside covers of RAT F**KED are not Rorschach drawings. This realism largely stems from the fact that, unlike films such as The Godfather and Once Upon A Time In America, Goodfellas is based on a true story of one gangster, his associates, and one of the most daring heists in American history. They would be Louis Eppolito and Steven Caracappa, two New York cops in the pocket of the Mafia. GR mainly revolves around one Burton Kaplan, a connected guy from Bensonhurst. He lives on Broadway, the Big Street, in New York City. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. Praise For The Good Rat: A True Story… “Breslin chronicles the cops’ sordid tales with a mixture of awe, repugnance and perfect diabolical detail. Brief content visible, double tap to read full content. A must for anyone who likes to read about organized crime. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. In his inimitable New York voice, Pulitzer Prize winner Jimmy Breslin gives us a look through the keyhole at the people and places that define the Mafia-characters like John Gotti, Sammy "the Bull" Gravano, Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso (named for his weapon of choice), and Jimmy "the Clam" Eppolito-interwoven with the remarkable true-crime saga of the good rat himself, Burt Kaplan of Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, … Cynics will have a field day here! As President Nixon would have asked: "How will it play in Peoria"? A must for anyone who likes to read about organized crime. Eppolito, we are informed, "had the shoulders of a goat". There's a problem loading this menu right now. See all formats and editions Hide other formats and editions. Ms. Giacalone lost her conviction of Gotti to a crooked juror who caused a hung decision. She hailed from Gotti's Ozone Park turf. Help others learn more about this product by uploading a video! How many bad apples are out there as prosecutors or cops? How many bad apples are out there as prosecutors or cops? The author writes a great book and seems to capture the moment perfectly in describing some of the worst of the worst criminals and their eventual downfall. Reviewed in the United States on January 14, 2017. Though Kaplan is no Sammy Gravano, his own participation in mob activities and hits over the … Help others learn more about this product by uploading a video! "The Good Rat' will be a good, hard cynical read. He was awarded the 1986 Pulitzer Prize for distinguished commentary. His voices are true and mundane and colorful. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. I really like the author's tongue in cheek style of writing and I highly recommend this book to all. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. Ms. Giacalone lost her conviction of Gotti to a crooked juror who caused a hung decision. Breslin comes from the same Queens streets as mob bosses John Gotti and Vito Genovese.