In the Ford Thunderbolt, the 427 dominated the 1964 season of NHRA […] The engine was cheaper, just $300 at the time, but made just 340 hp compared to the 475 hp the side-oiler was making. 5. by Joe-71 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:13 pm, Post Value will be affected by how many sleeves it needs, and if they are adjacent to each other. by n2omike » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 pm, Post So just how good was this new side-oiler 427? 390s and 428s were centeroilers too . > worth no more than the piles of puke they produce. I can repair this block no problem with sleeves etc but I'm just unsure if it's worth … It has had a window that was fixed and magnafluxed ok. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items! With a single four-barrel carb, the engine made 616 hp, but two four-barrel carbs, engines were rated a staggering 657 hp at 7,500 rpm. Joe-71. Foyt drove to victory in the 1967 24 Hours of Le Mans. Gone were the days of optional 400-plus horsepower engines and 10 and 12:1 compression ratios. More sleeves, less value, more than two side by side, less valve. Find Ford at the best price. He is trading the work for one of the motors but he thinks that there is one of ford 427's there. 427 side oiler in 1976 F250. For that, Ford needed to reprioritize engine oiling. The FE was introduced to replace the short-lived (in the USA) Ford Y-block engine, which American cars and trucks were outgrowing.It was designed with room to be significantly expanded, and manufactured both as a top-oiler and side-oiler, and in … The side-oiler was expensive, about $800 at the time, so many of these Cobras were fitted with the 428 Police Interceptor engine instead. The engine alone is about $40,000+. This crank has the $ sign and has no damage. These engines took the place of the outgoing Y-block engine which only ran for a few years after replacing the flathead V8. And of course, the 427 could be found in Carroll Shelby’s 427 S/C Cobras, but not all of them interestingly. It’s important to note that the 427 cannot be bored more than 0.030 inch safely. It features original exhaust manifolds and trim. by apm » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:07 am, Post The integrity of the block is lost unless you can lock the sleeves at the top and insure it pressure tests ok. Several folks have tried the 8 sleeves, and it almost always fails. The thin-wall block was cast with a high-nickel alloy and featured a thicker deck to withstand higher compression ratios. by apm » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:45 pm, Post by tenxal » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:23 am, Post Had one with 7 sleeves that never gave an ounce of trouble. This is a super rare, 1966 Ford FE Cross Block, side oiler engine used in the original 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C (Semi Competition) Engine Code: C5AE-H Casting on rear of engine: 1966 - 427 H Casting number: 12 DIF (Mold #12, Dearborn Iron Factory) Assembled at Dearborn Engine Factory Cast-iron heads with hemispherical combustion chambers and overhead camshafts opened larger stainless steel valves. Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by tony_dt, Jun 29, ... and heres the wedge/side oiler style . If it is a good side oiler 427 with the original intake and carb I'm sure it would be worth $4,000. 427 390HP hyd lifter engines were center oilers not side oilers . The top-oiler version sent oil to the cam and valvetrain first and then down to the main bearings. The answer: almost too good. by Joe-71 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:13 am, Post The Ford 427 SOHC was one of the original “outlaw” engines. With a gnarly 12.5:1 compression ratio, the 427 made upward of 475 horsepower, and made it all day long with these improvements to the rotating assembly and oiling. FORD FAIRLANE CYCLONE COMET GT 390 427 SIDE OILER BBM RACING MOTOR MOUNTS 428SCJ. For added durability under heavy loads, the main bearing webs were reinforced and main bearing caps were cross-bolted. It has 565HP. The Webers alone are worth about $7,000. Ford 427 Side Oiler engine - $14995 (Washougal) Here we go with the specs for the 427.The block is a brand new never been fired hydraulic lifter side oiler block date coded 1970. Ford offered two iterations of the 427 block–side oiler and top oiler. The story goes that Kolb sold the car new -- and apparently raced the car. 4. 427 Ford NOS side oiler service block with original box. The top iteration of the 427, and king of all FE engines, was the 427 SOHC, or “Cammer.” To challenge Chrysler’s 426 Hemi in NASCAR racing, Ford designed a special overhead valve system for the side-oiler engine. Designed to compete with the Chrysler 426 Hemi, which had dominated the 1964 Daytona 500 with a 1-2-3 finish and led Richard Petty to the driver’s championship that year, the engine was based on the FE side-oiler … Casting number is C7AE-A , on the front right hand side of the block, near the deck ,there is the number 7HM168 stamped into it , engine number maybe ? In the standard 427 engine, now dubbed the top-oiler or center-oiler, oil was pumped to a passage under the camshaft and up to the valve train before oiling the crank. C4AE-9425-F 2X4 intake, exec. It should get one sleeve even though the only cylinder damage is at the bottom of the cylinder and shouldn't cause a problem. by apm » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:13 am, Post 2,493 Posts #4 • Jul 19, 2011. Unique Classics, Replicas and Build Culture, Copyright 2021 Rare Car Network. Up top, most 427s used solid lifters instead of hydraulic lifters for improved horsepower figures at high rpm. > > --> Wound Up > ThunderSnake #65 > > "BW" <[email protected]> wrote in message > news:[email protected] >>I am looking for documented, published dyno reports, preferably done by >> Ford, for the 427 Side Oiler that powered the 427 Cobra among others. As you can see, the side oiler puts the oil supply down at the mains and the top oiler feeds from the top down to the camshaft bearings and then to the mains. Can anyone give me a rough idea what this is worth, and would it make sense to have it … If somebody wanted the specific date codes for a numbers matching car it would probably be worth more to them. After diagramming the differences in the oiling systems, John explained that the reason for the side oiler was so that the LeMans teams would have an easy way to adjust oil pressure. I can repair this block no problem with sleeves etc but I'm just unsure if it's worth the time , effort and cost of repair. It has medium riser heads and four Weber carburetors. by tenxal » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:27 am, Post To your points, "Yes" and "Yes" Side oiler and center oiler refer to the different designs for the oil galleries. The FE was available from 1958 to ’76 in displacements from 330 to 428 cubic inches. Launched in 1963, the 427 engine actually measured 425.98 cubic inches, but was deemed the 427 because this was the maximum engine displacement permitted by a few different race-sanctioning bodies at that time. Features and Unveiling. Several improvements were made to ensure the 427 engine could endure sustained high rpm (above 5,000) abuse. Post But now looking to sell and move on to other projects. Center oilers typically have thicker walls and can take an overbore better than a sideoiler . I am with Joe above, but lots of good advice here. Maybe you’ve read about a side-oiler here or there, or you know a guy in the local Cobra club has one that the other members drool over. 1st it is for sure a side oiler not a std 427? by apm » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:21 pm, Post The new heads had a far greater volumetric efficiency at higher rpm than the standard side-oiler, which translated to big horsepower. Marine 427 Ford These are not side oilers if they are "old" marine engine. The two camshafts were connected by a 6-foot-long timing chain. The Ford FE engine is a Ford V8 engine used in vehicles sold in the North American market between 1958 and 1976. I ran across someone that has a 1966 427 side oiler medium riser for sale for $6500 complete, carb to oil pan. a bare block with standard bore center oiler can fetch anywhere from 1800-3200, depending on what the casting numbers are and who wants it, the side oilers tend to be a little higher, but it depends again on who is bidding, once again. What is a 427 Ford Engine Worth. The engine is a 1966 Ford 427 solid lifter, side oiler that was bored .30 over. cond. The 427 side-oiler engine belongs to the Ford FE family, arguably the peak of Ford’s big cubic inch V8s. There used to be LOTS of 427 side-oiler blocks in crab boats here in Maryland. The Ford 427 side oiler was a completely redesigned 427 cubic inch (7 L), cross-bolted FE engine block that first debuted in 1965.. In 1965, Ford released the side-oiler block, which routed oil to the main bearings and then to the cam and valvetrain. The sensational Ford Thunderbolt drag car also used the side-oiler to rival Chrysler’s new 426 Hemi in Super Stock drag racing. The Ford FE 427 block features cross-bolted main caps, retains a standard bore, and is cast “C5AE-G.” The block was tested and measured by Arlington Automotive Machine in Arlington, Texas in February 2017. It has a medium riser intake with the 2 4 barrel set up. The FE was available from 1958 to ’76 in displacements from 330 to 428 cubic inches. Joe-71, It's pretty bad , I was considering fitting a full set of Darton flanged sleeves, I own an engine machine shop, so doing the work is no problem but still if it's not going to be worth much I wont spend the time , it doesnt owe me anything so if I dont do it it's no problem was just wondering if it was rare and old enough to be worth some good money to make the effort worth while, If it needs a full set of sleeves, then it is not worth the cost to machine and sleeves. The 427 side-oiler engine belongs to the Ford FE family, arguably the peak of Ford’s big cubic inch V8s. It was apparantly owned by a ford engineer that had it in a 57 t-coupe that he drag raced. 70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s, Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019, ↳   Vintage/Classic/Historical Engine Tech, ↳   3V Performance Engine & Valve train Development, ↳   Race Cars & Parts - For Sale or Wanted, http://classracer.com/classforum/index.php. C7JE-A, C5JE-D, C7JE-E, C6JE-B are a few. Add to cart . As far as engine durability issues related to the oiling system, he said a side oiler was no better than a top or center oiler. Remember when pricing the engine you don't know what bore it is and so forth. If repaired and in good usable condition what would this block be worth ??? Seller 100% positive. Ford /HP value covers by Mickey Thompson.. More pictures available upon request.. A shorter 3.784-inch stroke was used for high rpm operation, but the 4.233-inch bore pushed the limits of the FE design. $279.00 + shipping. Ford 427 Side Oiler engine - $14995 (Washougal) Here we go with the specs for the 427.The block is a brand new never been fired hydraulic lifter side oiler block date coded 1970. Steel cranks were also used because they were a little stronger than their cast counterparts. Ford 427 Side Oiler Engine dated 1966. “It turns out that the Shelby has a 427 Side-Oiler in it – a ’68 Side-Oiler. View Full Description. However, 4/27 provides an excellent opportunity to explore how the ground-up redesign of the FE produced Ford’s most capable big-block ever. Ford made 427's for automotive, marine, … All rights reserved |. Sign in to check out Check out as guest . by My427stang » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:28 am, Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited, General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track, I have just been given a FE Ford 427 side oiler block , it was part of an old Holman and Moody race engine , screw in water plugs, cross bolted main etc etc ,unfortunately it isnt in real good shape , lots of rust in the water jackets and some holes in the bores . Can you guys help me confirm that this is a side oiler and give me advice on value and where is the best place to post the vehicle for sale. ... FORD FAIRLANE CYCLONE COMET GT 390 427 SIDE OILER BBM RACING MOTOR MOUNTS 428SCJ. Fe 427 side oiler 3 Blocks are High Nickel Three 427 blocks 2 are 30 thousandths over and 1 is 50 thousandths over purchased by Holman & Moody by Ford back in the day w/ 1968 casting #’s might be 1972 MORE PICTURES UPON REQUEST. Add to Watchlist Unwatch Get the best deals for ford 427 side oiler at eBay.com. 2. the salt water flows over the radiator which is submerged in a tank. 3. These improvements to the rotating assembly proved beneficial, but weren’t entirely sufficient for the abuses these engines would endure in NASCAR and Le Mans racing. Using a combination of OEM and vintage aftermarket parts, the build features a hydraulic-lifter Ford block bored to 4.250”, cast stock stroke OEM crankshaft, 850 CFM Holley double-pumper carburetor and a COMP Magnum cam. This internal combustion engine featured a generous oil gallery down the left-hand side of the engine block to keep the main bearings fully supplied with oil at high revolutions or RPM's. C4AE-6090-F HI Rise heads, never damaged, appears to have original value job, stock adjustable rocker arm assembly. This engine powered Ford’s most famous race cars of the 1960s, including the MkIV GT40 that Dan Gurney and A.J. C8OF-9510-AC & AD carbs, new cond. I am a pretty loyal Ebay lurker, and tend to check prices on 427 blocks weekly to monthly. If done correctly I thought it should be fine , I just put 8 darton flanged sleeves into a Cleveland and they are notorious for thin bores , I have fitted 8 iron repair sleeves to many a block and had no issues , I dont see there being an issue with the FE block , but at the end of it if the investment is more than or equal to the value of the block then I will just leave it. The 427 toenails … You see diesel or if they are gas they are still using then 2V mod engines What's funny I'd about 15 years ago someone I know who thinks he is some expert guru on the ford FE engines bought a bunch of 427 side oilers from a guy. by ProPower engines » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:55 pm, Post The engine was built with a Clay Smith cam and has benefitted from an electronic ignition system. by Krooser » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:24 am, Post If you look at the modern wind machines, generators, and pumps. Just need to way up cost versus return, Thanks that's exactly the info I was after, I'll clean it and check for the logo , I'm only going on the customers say so as to its origin at the moment , I'll check and see if it is solid or hydraulic also , thanks again for the info. Trades Not Accepted. This Ford 427ci Side-Oiler V8 has less than 1k miles on it since it was rebuilt in January 2016. 1 427 forged sideoiler crank, was also told it is std. They can be er-machined to be a "side oiler stock block". apm wrote: ↑ Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:03 pm I have just been given a FE Ford 427 side oiler block , it was part of an old Holman and Moody race engine , screw in water plugs, cross bolted main etc etc ,unfortunately it isnt in real good shape , lots of rust in the water jackets and some holes in the bores . It is a 427 side oiler that my father bought about 10 years ago. This new oil passage from the side of the block resulted in its new moniker, the side-oiler. The price would depend on which 427 it was and the condition. Engine Type - Ford FE-series 427 "side-oiler" OHV V-8, cast-iron block and cylinder heads Displacement - 425.8 cubic inches Bore x stroke - 4.232 x 3.784 inches Compression ratio - 10.5:1 Horsepower @ RPM - 425 @ 6,000 Torque @ RPM - 480 lb.ft. 1 1968 427 sideoiler block - I was told it is std bore (not sure). The side oiler feeds the mains first but requires one to use solid lifters , it is better long track engine than a center oiler . After the 427 and other big FE engines were phased out in the mid ’70s, Ford began to transition to smaller engine platforms, standard emission equipment and far lower displacements and compression ratios. 1. by apm » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:03 pm, Post He was asking me about it. Payment Details. Unfortunately, Chrysler protested and the 427 Cammer became the only engine to ever be banned from NASCAR racing. But what is it that makes the 427 side-oiler more exciting than other Ford V8s? There is a Ford FE forum but I don't know the address. Considering Ford was supplying the side-oiler 427 to many teams, Shelby American was forced to deliver cars with the larger 428 Cobra Jet V8. This Ford 427 FE V8 engine project is now offered at no reserve in Mansfield, Texas with a bill of sale. This motor is in parts, but everything is there I think. The person that gets to the the crabbing waters gets the catch. We have 30 cars for sale for ford 427 side oiler, from just $9,000 When I bought the car, the guy who sold it to me told me that the 427 swap was done at Gotham Ford by Bill Kolb Jr. These engines took the place of the outgoing Y-block engine which only ran for a few years after replacing the flathead V8. He claims it ran before it was pulled from the coupe (20-30 years ago). We’d argue that the 427 is the most legendary engine in Ford’s history—and not simply because today happens to be April 27. The FE went through different iterations and was constantly being adjusted and perfected before being replaced by the 335-series (351C/M and 400) and 385-series (370, 429 and 460) engines. Last edited: Jun 30, 2010. maverick75, Jun 30, 2010 #7. While it was second in displacement to the 428, the 427 was first in performance and the only ‘race-only’ engine in the FE family. In that condition and from a "fresh water" engine I guess today a good one may pull one to two thousand bucks. To keep the crankshaft happier at the top of the rev range, Ford added a special oil passage along the left side of the block to direct oil to the crank first, and then the cam and valve train. They use a water to water cooling system, I.E. In turn, Shelby ended up replacing some 428s with the correct 427 if a customer complained. FWIW....I ran a sideoiler in my dirt cars for several years.