Acts 20. Title As the second book Luke addressed to Theophilus (see Luke 1:3), Acts may originally have had no title. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. Luke-Acts makes up 28% of the New Testament--more than that written by either Paul or John. 6 and at this sound they all assembled, and each one was bewildered to hear these men speaking his own language.. 7 They were amazed and astonished. He was also the author of its companion work, the Gospel of Luke. Acts 11:27-30 At that time prophets came down from Jerusalem to Antioch. 2 He traveled through that area, speaking many words of encouragement to the people, and finally arrived in Greece, 3 where he stayed three months. 21 When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" Again in the New Testament, the fact is confirmed that the church of Jesus Christ and the kingdom of heaven are one and the same. Aims. 12 So from the Mount of Olives, as it is called, they went back to Jerusalem, a short distance away, no more than a Sabbath walk;. Our story starts off where the Gospel of Luke left off—Jesus is back.. Now that he's resurrected, Jesus decides to hang out and chat with his disciples (whom Luke calls apostles) for forty days. King Herod, in Jerusalem, decided to “mistreat” those in the early church. 27 And when he wished to cross to o Achaia, p the brothers encouraged him and q wrote to the disciples to welcome him. Chapters 13-20 Paul's three missionary journeys. Acts was written in Greek, presumably by St. Luke the Evangelist. SET Paul, who wrote the book of Acts was consistently striving to live a life that had absolutely nothing to do with himself; he was devoted to Christ and the mission of spreading the Good News as far as he possibly could. We know that his testimony is true.” —John 21:20–24 “The disciple whom Jesus loved” is traditionally believed to be the apostle John. Because some Jews had plotted against him just as he was about to sail for Syria, he decided … Information on the Book of Acts of the Apostles. And we knelt down on the shore and prayed. (Luke 1:1-4) Do you have a better idea now who the author of Acts is? I. Authorship of ActsLuke is the author of the book Acts. They prayed when choosing seven men to serve the Hellenistic Jewish widows (Acts 6:6). Risk assessment of future violent acts is of great importance for both public protection and care planning. Paul has called for the elders from the church in Ephesus to come to the coast to Melitus to meet him as he is on his way to Jerusalem. 4 They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak different languages as the Spirit gave them power to express themselves.. 5 Now there were devout men living in Jerusalem from every nation under heaven,. 17 . 20 Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. Many others believe the author was in fact a committee of unknown authors, editors, and redactors—the Johannine community. ... (20:24) because of the prophecies the narrative itself contains to that effect (20:22-23, 29, 38; 21:10-14). The Gospels being the… In chapter 2 I wrote about how Brandt influenced Beyer and others, and how your research influenced Danker. In about 56 C.E., Claudius Lysias was the military commander of the Jerusalem garrison. First, since the Roman church was not established by an apostle, Paul wrote Romans to provide the church with an “apostolic presentation of the gospel (Fitzmyer, Romans, 75; Kruse, Romans, 8).” Paul would do this in person when he arrives in Rome, but the letter offers a “pre-read” for the church prior to Paul’s arrival. 1) After the commotion died down, Paul sent for the [Ephesian] disciples and encouraged them before he left, [heading west] for Macedonia. He believed that his life had no use or meaning unless He was fulfilling the plans God had for him. - Acts 20:24. Paul in Corinth. Your research played an important part of my assignment. (Luke) Luke tells us why he wrote the Book of Luke in verse 4. From Luke 1:1–4 and Acts 1:1–3, we know that the same author wrote both Luke and Acts. Paul’s gospel, the gospel of the grace of God (Acts 20.24; 1 Corinthians 15.1-4) requires faith alone for salvation. (Ac 23:22, 26) As recounted in Acts chapters 21 through 24, he was the one who rescued Paul both from the street mob and from the rioting Sanhedrin and who wrote a letter of explanation to Governor Felix when Paul was secretly taken to Caesarea. The disciples prayed before choosing a new disciple (Acts 1:24). 1 When the uproar had ended, Paul sent for the disciples and, after encouraging them, said goodbye and set out for Macedonia. And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Often skeptics of the faith suggest or even assert that little is known about the four Gospel's authors. Paul went too far away from Sixty-six when he wrote this one he's probably in his early 60s. The Anti-Marcionite Prologue to Luke (c. A.D. 2) 2. ... Acts 13-28: The service of the Apostle Paul in the whole world. Acts of the Apostles Summary The Short Story. Peter prayed regularly (Acts 10:9). 1 I wrote the first narrative, Theophilus, about all that Jesus began to do and teach # Lk 1:3; 24:19 2 until the day He was taken up, after He had given orders through the Holy Spirit to the apostles He had chosen. How many of you have read a book by an author who wrote more than one book in his/her series. Internal evidence affirming that Luke the historian/physician (Luke 1:1-3; Col. 4:14) and companion of Paul wrote the third Gospel and Acts is strong. But Acts could not have been written before c. 90 CE, since the author seems to be ignorant about Paul's letters, which were not collected and circulated before that date. Author: The book of Acts, also called Acts of the Apostles, does not specifically identify its author. Power, status, and resources are to be used for the sake of the community. (Acts 19:21) This he eventually did, but under far different circumstances than he had dreamed about. Acts 10:24 The following day they came to Caesarea. Question: Who wrote the four New Testament Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John? Structured clinical assessments offer a method by which accurate assessments could be achieved. Intro. Who wrote John’s Gospel? James Charlesworth says, “The apostle Thomas.” Ben Witherington believes it was Lazarus. There is some overlap between the end He seized James, the brother of John, and had him killed by the sword. Were these not just anonymous writings that the Christian church later gave credibility to by associating them with preeminent authors? The remainder of the assignment was an investigation of roles of the diakonoi mentioned in the New Testament and Apostolic Fathers. They prayed for boldness after Peter and John are dragged before the Sanhedrin (Acts 4:23–31). 22 Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? First, he leaves Ephesus, reaches Troas and moves on to Greece. The biggest difference between the lists is that Luke (author of the Gospel of Luke and Acts) lists one disciple as Judas son of James (or Jude, depending on the translation), while Mark and Matthew list someone named Thaddeus.Church tradition has always assumed these were two names for the same person, with Thaddeus being a nickname for the disciple known as … 4 . And Esther de Boer contends the author of John’s Gospel was Mary Magdalene! The content of faith was to believe Jesus was the Messiah, the Son of God. ... took him aside and explained to him n the way of God more accurately. The Gospel According to Luke concludes where Acts begins, … External Evidence: Luke is uniformly identified as the author Acts by the second century A.D.: 1. While this passage may seem to point to John, it isn’t a closed case. 3. The Beloved Disciple. Acts of the Apostles, abbreviation Acts, fifth book of the New Testament, a valuable history of the early Christian church. “Now I know that none of you among whom I have gone about ... Read verse in New International Version 6 When we had taken our leave of one another, we … The destruction of Jerusalem and its Temple by Roman armies in 70 CE is not mentioned in Acts but is probably alluded to in Luke 21:20-24. -- Acts 20:24. Biblical Commentary (Bible study) Acts 1:1-11 LUKE-ACTS: THE CONTEXT Luke was the author of two books—the Gospel of Luke (which tells the story of the life of Jesus) and the Acts of the Apostles (which tells the story of the early church). A. (1) "Testifying the gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20:24) and establishing churches everywhere - this is exactly the same thing as "preaching the kingdom" of God (Acts 20:25). This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. # Mt 28:19-20; Lk 24:47; Jn 20:21 3 After He had suffered, He also presented Himself alive to them by many convincing proofs, appearing to them during 40 days and … {Read or tell the story from Acts 12:1-19.} The Gospels, the first four books of the New Testament, tell the story of the life of Jesus.Yet only one—the Gospel of John—claims to be an eyewitness account, the testimony of the unnamed “disciple whom Jesus loved.” (“This is the disciple who is testifying to these things and wrote these things, and we know that his testimony is true” [John 21:24]). Since Josephus wrote in the last decade of the first century the book of Acts would have been written even later.But it is very unlikely that Luke copied from Josephus, and therefore this idea is held by only few scholars nowadays. 13 and when they reached the city they went to the upper room where they were staying; there were Peter and John, James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Jude son of … Section 3.) Pages Non-Business Places Religious Place of Worship Church Baptist Church Moore's Chapel Baptist Church Videos Looking Forward to Trouble Acts 20:24 It required faith and works for salvation (Acts 2.36-38; Mark 1.4, 16.16). This post is adapted from Darrell Bock's Theology of Luke and Acts online course.. To determine when Acts was written, we need to evaluate the evidence from both Luke and Acts, because the two books were written together, with Luke appearing slightly before Acts.. At first glance, it seems that the book of Acts was written around the same time of the last events it describes. Acts 12:1-4, 20-24 The Death of Herod Acts 13:14-52 Paul Preaches at the Synagogue in Pisidian Antioch Acts 14:6-18 Paul and Barnabas in Lystra Acts 15:1-35 Requirements for Gentiles Reconsidered Acts 16:1-5 The Circumcision of Timothy Acts 16:12-15 Paul and His Companions Meet Lydia Acts 16:16-40 Tumult in Philippi The tradition from the earliest days of the church has been that Luke, a companion of the apostle Paul, wrote the books of Luke and Acts (Colossians 4:14; 2 Timothy 4:11). 2. for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people." ACTS 21:4-6 4 And finding disciples, we stayed there seven days. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, "Lord, who is going to betray you?") Chuck Smith :: Sermon Notes for Acts 20:24 ← Back to Chuck Smith's Bio & Resources. Luke/Acts. Acts is a sequel to the Book of Luke. They told Paul through the Spirit not to go up to Jerusalem. The church gathered in homes for prayer (Acts 12:12). - Acts 2:38. 5 When we had come to the end of those days, we departed and went on our way; and they all accompanied us, with wives and children, till we were out of the city. (Have an example to show them. First, to establish that the author of Luke also authored Acts we see that in Luke 1:3 that the author wrote his Gospel for the “most excellent Theophilus”. In Acts 12, an angel appears two times and does two very different actions. Acts 20:24-28 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.